• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question: Legal/Illegal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it legal to make money with Warcraft 3 Resource?
with adfly,
shrinking the download link of warcraft 3 CUSTOM model/edited model with adfly,
is it legal?

or warcraft 3 spell/map doing the same thing? is it legal? im gonna ask here before i do it :p

spell/model/map
for example
take this model: Alicorn that is edited by me from blizzard model
upload to mediafire and shrink its link with adfly and promote it in youtube is this legal?

and maps/spell too...

I just wanna get 26.95$ for minecraft and im not even started work yet

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is it legal to make money with Warcraft 3 Resource?
As WC3 resources? No. Example would be selling custom models such as those found on this site for money. This violates the ToU of the game.
As generic resources that are ported to WC3? Yes. Have no examples offhand but it could be assets brought bulk from some website with licence to port and use in a WC3 map like way. As long as it does not conflict with the WC3 ToU it is fine.
As a service for WC3 related work? Yes. Example is a commissioned artist to make assets like a load screen, models or even sounds. The load screen for DotA Allstars is by far the most famous example of this with possibly several thousand dollars being spent on them over the years. Many less well known maps also have commissioned loading screens but usually this is for considerably less than 100 dollars. These are usually done via dedicated artist sites and not WC3 sites.

Do note that Hive Workshop does not allow one to use it for commercial purposes. So it is not allowed here to advertise or request a commercial WC3 map service. Nothing stops members from mutually arranging one via PM or something but trying to promote such services will likely result in moderator action. The reason for this is to stop advertisement robots and also to avoid any potential liability that can occur in the case of institutes that promote selling products. At least this was the case back when I was a moderator so many years ago, a moderator can correct me if they feel I have said anything wrong and they can freely edit this to mirror such a correction.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
how do u know this, i thought icefrog just got some sucker from deviant art and told him that he would put his name on dota if he makes him a loading screen
Originally that is quite probable. However considering they were hosting multi hundred thousand dollar tournaments for DotA Allstars at its prime it seems highly unlikely that he would rely on freebies and donations.

Originally that is quite probable. However considering they were hosting multi hundred thousand dollar tournaments for DotA Allstars at its prime it seems highly unlikely that he would rely on freebies and donations.

Hm yeah considering the quality as well.
http://www.rofus.net/2012/10/dota-loading-screen-history.html

I find it unlikely a person would draw such detailed picture/s for a Warcraft 3 map without getting some kind of fee. Well there is always the publicity, but still.

As WC3 resources? No. Example would be selling custom models such as those found on this site for money. This violates the ToU of the game.
As generic resources that are ported to WC3? Yes. Have no examples offhand but it could be assets brought bulk from some website with licence to port and use in a WC3 map like way. As long as it does not conflict with the WC3 ToU it is fine.
As a service for WC3 related work? Yes. Example is a commissioned artist to make assets like a load screen, models or even sounds. The load screen for DotA Allstars is by far the most famous example of this with possibly several thousand dollars being spent on them over the years. Many less well known maps also have commissioned loading screens but usually this is for considerably less than 100 dollars. These are usually done via dedicated artist sites and not WC3 sites.

Do note that Hive Workshop does not allow one to use it for commercial purposes. So it is not allowed here to advertise or request a commercial WC3 map service. Nothing stops members from mutually arranging one via PM or something but trying to promote such services will likely result in moderator action. The reason for this is to stop advertisement robots and also to avoid any potential liability that can occur in the case of institutes that promote selling products. At least this was the case back when I was a moderator so many years ago, a moderator can correct me if they feel I have said anything wrong and they can freely edit this to mirror such a correction.

err... does that mean adfly+Spell = illegal? (read the whole thing, not fully understand)

He means that if you want to use his resources, you will have to pass adfly, which will give him 5 dollars/10000 people use his resources.
And to the thread question, no. ULTIMATELY NO.

kinda like that.. but i know i can't do it in hive :) i just ask here so that i can do it in other place that is allowed to...

anyway.. if Im using that adfly, i will make the model from scratch,

but how bout map and spell? <--this is what i want to ask
is it allowed to?

Not sure if adfly is legal or not, but if you use it, prepare to be crucified for crimes against humanity.

adfly is not illigal == i think

adfly is not illegal itself, but if used to gain money from a Blizzard product it goes against the terms of use.
Creating a spell using the Warcraft 3 Map Editor you are using a Blizzard product. If you are to gain money on said spell, you are in essence gaining money off a Blizzard product. So it is illegal.
Whether or not Blizzard will act on this is hard to tell. If your spell gets downloaded thousands of times then they might look into it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

adfly is not illegal itself, but if used to gain money from a Blizzard product it goes against the terms of use.
Creating a spell using the Warcraft 3 Map Editor you are using a Blizzard product. If you are to gain money on said spell, you are in essence gaining money off a Blizzard product. So it is illegal.
Whether or not Blizzard will act on this is hard to tell. If your spell gets downloaded thousands of times then they might look into it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

ya.. that's why im asking here before im doing something illegal and im not aware of it... (so that i won't do illegal stuff and thinking im doing something legal)

now that i know, im going to the hard way :p (making model from scratch which will take alot of my time to learn make a good one)

Level 29
Let's see.
The most downloaded model on the Hive was downloaded 64699 times over the past 4 years.
That's 1.3$ per month at best (assuming what you wrote above is right).
Your model wont be anything near it, probably something closer to 10 downloads.

This isn't even a question of legality, but rather you dreaming of making money off something that wont make you a cent.

I suggest you to find another route at getting money, like working, or trying your luck at modeling for other games that actually promote monetizing, like DotA 2. Not that you are likely to be on par with the people there, no offense intended.

:\
well no pain trying, since im not using that for my life :p
though i agree that my model probably something closer to 10 downloads.

i just wanna make some little money for gaming? or something, i don't need much for it...
though... if i really do, it will be like earning nothing xd
at least is not 0 what... maybe after 10 years i can get $1 and that is fun to watch xd

Status
Not open for further replies.