• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

à question – good pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Information we need:

1. Where are you from?
2. What do you want to use this PC for?
3. What is your budget?
4. Tower or laptop?
5. Are you wanting to build the computer yourself?

Level 34
Laptop is hard to customize. If you want to use it on gaming and planning to upgrade it for better gaming performance, I recommend buying a tower PC. And then overclock a bit to increase your CPU speed the same time decreasing it's life by some months.
Rather than simply jumping to "buy/build your own PC and over-clock it so you can game better because that's what everyone obviously does with PCs", why don't you ask him if he plans on gaming and if he needs it to be portable?

This is a personal pet peeve, and I don't harbour resentment towards you, I'm simply trying to stop these kinds of comments. Unless you were being sarcastic, then I apologize, you're sarcasm went over my head.

Anywho...

Do you plan on gaming?
What programs do you want to run on your PC?

Level 8
Rather than simply jumping to "buy/build your own PC and over-clock it so you can game better because that's what everyone obviously does with PCs", why don't you ask him if he plans on gaming and if he needs it to be portable?

This is a personal pet peeve, and I don't harbour resentment towards you, I'm simply trying to stop these kinds of comments. Unless you were being sarcastic, then I apologize, you're sarcasm went over my head.

Anywho...

Do you plan on gaming?
Warcraft3 and starcraft. Just for playing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
StarCraft II has considerably larger requirements than WC3. Where as most x86/64 powered Windows laptops with integrated graphics will run WC3 perfectly, SC2 on the other hand needs a laptop with expensive discrete GPUs to perform well and even then will perform badly compared to a desktop.

Any reasonably built Desktop should run SC2 fine as long as you do not get an ultra budget graphic card (you need one at least intended for gaming, even if it is on the low end).

Level 11

Anywho...

Do you plan on gaming?

The hell? Asking him first will only increase the wall of text in this thread, that's why I answered it already. And not everyone knows how to overclock man. Look at my post above I said something like "If you want to blah blah blah" The "If" word means I'm not certain about whether he will use it for gaming or for other things. And if you will read his first comments he actually said that he wants a laptop that's why I'm giving him the idea, cons of buying a tower instead of lappy. I am not being sarcastic and your comment got into my head also.

Last edited:
Level 34
And if you will read his first comments he actually said that he wants a laptop.
Exactly, so why would you bring up towers? We established what he wanted and you ignored it.

SC2 on the other hand needs a laptop with expensive discrete GPUs to perform well and even then will perform badly compared to a desktop.
Assuming he wants SC2. He just said SC.

The laptop doesn't need to be expensive. The graphics for SC2 suck. They were mediocre at best when it came out, and that was a while ago.
Also, doesn't SC2 take more processing power than GPU?

@youness: Do you want SC1 or SC2 to run on your laptop?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The graphics for SC2 suck. They were mediocre at best when it came out, and that was a while ago.
Yes but they still are graphics as opposed to no graphics. Sure something like an Xbox1 or PS4 would easily max out SC2 but those are still gaming aimed devices (although at the lower end). There are entire order of magnitudes in processing power with GPUs.

Something with 0.6-2 Teraflops would easily run SC2, however something with 0.02 (a budget card) will probably not. SC2 graphics are not the most demanding but they are still not 8 bit that even a £0.30 chip can render no problem. With laptops especially this is a problem since their GPUs cost the same as desktops for about 1/5 or less of the power.

doesn't SC2 take more processing power than GPU?
Yes but laptops usually have better CPUs than GPUs anyway so this is not an issue. Overheating might be an issue since they over design the CPU so the PC appears fast but under design the cooling so prolonged high speed use will cause overheating.

Level 15
SC2 can run on pretty much anything, but it won't run excellently on anything.

About integrated graphics performance, this thing: http://www.asus.com/in-search-of-incredible/us-en/asus-transformer-book-t100/
handles SC2 at 720p and everything at lowest, at about 50fps (and thats when you do have a clusterfuck of units on the screen).
But the thing is that the Atom CPU that tablet uses, has a halfassed IGP even for other Intel IGPs, the GPU clock speed is abysmal.

Anyway to the point, youness. You have to tell us following things:

How much do you want to spend on the laptop?
(We need to know this in order to select the best laptop for your budget, the more you spend the better the laptop is)

What website or local store with its own website do you want to buy it from?
(So we can only suggest to you a laptop that is available in that store, no point in recommending some cool laptop that isn't even available in your country)

And what other special reqirements do you have (Screen resolution, laptop size, dedicated GPU or IGP, minimum RAM, DVD drive, Minumum storage and so on)?
(Because you dont want to end up buying the laptop we suggested to you while forgetting something you really needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.