• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Power in physics is work/time. However, power in world is totally different. A long time ago, we used to have a kingdom system where all citizens are ruled by the king. Soon, they found its unfair due to imbalance power. Let's get back to hive.

Hive's powers are distributed to all users/members.

Ralle-Master(President)
[]
Admins- Manage the site, define rules, and establish policy. These administrators also enforce all site rules in all areas.
[]
Moderators- Maintain their individual areas of the site, help other users, and enforce the site rules.
[]
Users- We are the users. We are the main strength of Hive. We are the heart of Hive!

Those are some positions in Hive.

There are some rumors about Hive's past, talking about Mods misusing power or even Ralle himself too! ( Do not get offensed, it's just rumors. Not by me). After some time Hive managed to cool down and finally some peace have been achieved.

Some may think that the balance of power may have been achieved and others might disagree with it. Is there any equility of power in Hive? What's your opinion?

Level 22
There's only partial equality of power.

1) Ralle owns the website, and he houses the server. He can do whatever he want here...
2) Only Ralle, Admins and Moderators can give negative reputations.
3) Only Ralle can upload maps without any map descriptions at all!
4) Admins and Moderators can edit posts made by others with a valid reason.
5) Ralle can edit one's post at will.

Level 15
There's only partial equality of power.

1) Ralle owns the website, and he houses the server. He can do whatever he want here...
2) Only Ralle, Admins and Moderators can give negative reputations.
4) Admins and Moderators can edit posts made by others with a valid reason.
5) Ralle can edit one's post at will.

Hah, quite true. He can.

Level 30
There are some rumors about Hive's past
It wasn't a rumor, such gossip is bad health, it was actually a timeline. You could browse the remaining story behind what happened during those days at the news section and here in OT.

Frankly, there wasn't much proposed rules about map description during 2004(6-7?), people/users were only downloading, uploading and testing maps pronto.

Level 21
There wasn't map submission rules back then,that's why his map doesn't have a description.

As for my opinion,I think equality of power in the Hive.The moderators can only do more stuff in order to complete their responsibilities and to make the hive a better place.I have never ran into a moderator or anythin like that who misused their power.Note:this is only my opinion

Level 21
Personally, I don't really need to think if there is equality or not in power as long as nobody abuses it. EVERYONE has the power to benefit others. EVERYONE has the power to aid others when they need help. EVERYONE can do good things for the hive society without being a moderator or admin. You guys do not realise how much power you have that you don't consider. You have the power to influence others with your comments (either positively or negatively). You have the power to bring benefits to the whole website with a click of your mouse. The aim of what I'm saying is that there is no need to be a moderator or admin to have power, it's something we got already.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Of course every user is not treated equally. If we're not treated equally in our normal society, why would it be different here?

The rumor you speak of is true by the way.
This is why this was created:

for those that don't know 'Ner'zhul' is refering to: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/the+dark+wizard/

Level 4
This is Ralle's toy. If we wanna play with it; we do what he says, regardless of tyranny.

The idea of forum clients holding hands singing Kumbaya long live equality is nice. But its far from the truth, we are lucky..

Level 35
This is Ralle's toy. If we wanna play with it; we do what he says, regardless of tyranny.

Actually, I'm halfway opposed to this idea. And I'm pretty sure, not intending to open any
wounds here, that that is something Ralle himself realized some time ago.

Yes, this site is Ralle's site. As much as any tiny free-forum site is the creator's site,
but what puts this apart from that, is the fact that we have a healthy and happy
community. Without users, this site would have been nothing.

There is no equality in power here. There is technical power, the kind Ralle and we,
the staff members, have. And then there is actual power, the kind that all the users
have. If everyone rioted and left, this site would no longer have a purpose.

It's certainly not a democracy, but it's certainly not a tyranny either.
It's more akin to an "optimal" dictatorship, where the dictator isn't perfect,
but good, and he knows he isn't perfect. That is why he have advisers, and
why he listens to his people. The general consensus will always be heard,
at least as long as I have a say in the matter.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It wasn't a rumor, such gossip is bad health, it was actually a timeline. You could browse the remaining story behind what happened during those days at the news section and here in OT.
Actually you can't. I mean, you can, but you'll get a unilateral, manichaestic view of what actually happened, due to the prime mover of that tale having a nasty habit of deleting any thread or post that targeted him, the regime, or tried to denounce what was really going on, afterwards swiftly proceeding to outright ban the author of said post. Permanently.

Sure, there are threads open, but their purpose is to make you think you know what happened. I have taken a look for myself on the threads that remained visible and the idea I see transmitted is that there was bunch of people that were so harmful to the website and just had to be kicked out, while a few users were a little bugged with the environment. Not one post denouncing the gigantic hypocrisy of all of it, the screaming power abuse, the power mongering, nor the conformism of a lot of users and opportunism of a few others.

Frankly, there wasn't much proposed rules about map description during 2004(6-7?), people/users were only downloading, uploading and testing maps pronto.
Slightly off-topic, but I wanted to leave a note to clear a possible misconception: do not mistake lack of solid rules for lack of work. I remember well what me and VGsatomi had to go through when the Footman Frenzy category was introduced.

Welcome to 21st century!

Alright, I have to agree with Shadow Fury. And to a certain extend, I agree with Keiji, Chaosy, Rui and Orcnet (that's inconsistent, yes it is!)

Alright, straight to my view :

by Shadow Fury said:
Personally, I don't really need to think if there is equality or not in power as long as nobody abuses it. EVERYONE has the power to benefit others. EVERYONE has the power to aid others when they need help. EVERYONE can do good things for the hive society without being a moderator or admin. You guys do not realise how much power you have that you don't consider. You have the power to influence others with your comments (either positively or negatively). You have the power to bring benefits to the whole website with a click of your mouse. The aim of what I'm saying is that there is no need to be a moderator or admin to have power, it's something we got already.

About the past, there are some missing chains of posts (yes, I read many threads to date of 2004, or 2006 was it?) in between threads especially during certain major events (Chaosy hints it very well).

Keiji points are good, optimal dictatorship do make sense with the system we uphold at this site.
Not to open wounds,Though I reject that if this was 2012 *cough*.

Is there any equality* of power in Hive? What's your opinion?
Since I'm obviously still here and blabbering about it I guess there must be some :)

According to me, everyone treats everyone differently though, so I don't blame anyone.

Well, said users actions or other factors can contribute to that.
That doesn't automatically mean that it's outright discrimination.

OT: I think that they're fine as mods/authority even if some are lazier than others :p
Yeah, Ralle will mop the floor with you if people around get naughty.
Deal with it.

Level 21
I'm feeling we've become politicians that are chattering about power and hierarchy of the hive. Do the words "he can" really burn you from inside guys? We also can do a lot of things without need of great power so let's just stop this conversation as it is pointless and it will lead to nothing good.

Going a bit off-topic: Power in Physics can also be defined as Current x Voltage :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.