• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nerds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

R

Roland

Nerdier when it comes to graphics designing plus in health :p

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I am quite the nerd I suppose, though not the kind of science / school nerd. In my room I got two computers, one TV with an xbox. The walls are more or less covered in game themed posters. I study programming at school and spend 95% of my free time at the computer. I roleplay actively during certain periods of the year, same goes for watching anime and reading manga.
I will be getting a Sylvanas tattoo the 11th of January to be my inner geek even more.

So yeah. That's my 'life'.

Level 22
I am quite the nerd I suppose, though not the kind of science / school nerd. In my room I got two computers, one TV with an xbox. The walls are more or less covered in game themed posters. I study programming at school and spend 95% of my free time at the computer. I roleplay actively during certain periods of the year, same goes for watching anime and reading manga.
I will be getting a Sylvanas tattoo the 11th of January to be my inner geek even more.

So yeah. That's my 'life'.

So you're a geek according to this

Level 34
You should really consider not using hashtags anymore.
They make you look like someone who's unable to express a situation with more than one word.
#jealous #doesntgetit #hive #offtopic #Gilles #trump4pres #catsofinstagram #instacats #cats

Roland

R

Roland

You should really consider not using hashtags anymore.
They make you look like someone who's unable to express a situation with more than one word.

#jealous #doesntgetit #hive #offtopic #Gilles #trump4pres #catsofinstagram #instacats #cats
#RodrigoDuterteforExecution #RolandWins #Hiveworkshop #LOLatLordofChaos201 #Bang-bans #ConceptArt7th #Rolandisdumb
How's that? It's kinda handy when you have to make a large paragraph.

Level 36
I try and avoid calling myself a nerd, and I think Justin Silverman's rant (NSFW) explains things more eloquently than I could ever hope to.

You (he) sort of has a point, but still, the reason is basically "I don't want to call myself
a nerd because it's not cool anymore that it is considered cool to be a nerd." It's basically
saying that because it's become socially conventional, that's why you shouldn't like it.
- Sounds mightily close to hipster philosophy.

I would agree, though, by how the word is socially conveyed these days, I wouldn't
name myself a nerd, but by the definition of the word:

"A person considered to be socially awkward, boring, unstylish, etc."

- I still wouldn't consider myself one.

Everyone is socially awkward at times, it's a mood dependent thing, but the day I consider
myself "boring" and/or "unstylish" is the day I commit suicide.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
"I don't want to call myself a nerd because it's not cool anymore that it is considered cool to be a nerd."

I think this is probably where our points differ, though: I think it's quite the opposite. It is considered cool to be a nerd. People are ignorant as to what the word means and hope to gain something by association. The very word itself has been mutated by pop culture to mean something different to the literal definition. People that are rightly nerds and geeks have earned these titles by years of zealous devotion to a hobby regarded by others as weird and lame. Statuses, in whatever form, are earned. Saying that you're a nerd because you bought a comic or invested in this month's video game is akin to saying you're a chef because you can cook eggs. All of these things take dedication. Just as an athlete will take time to train in his discipline, a geek will do the same -- and sometimes, not even by choice.

Now, though, all of a sudden the very same people that were putting you down and had no idea how you felt are saying they are what you are. Not only do they continue not to accept you as an individual, but by doing what they're doing it is implied that your suffering is wrong and not important. This is cultural comodification, the dismantling and bastardising of something so that it can be sold to people that don't understand it. Self-labelling as a nerd is done to make someone seem smart and interesting at the expense of the original pain endured by others. Punk-rock and hiphop are other, good examples of this. When technology became cheaper and easily accessible, it became less of a hobby and more a commonplace thing. This easily allows one to claim they were part of the subculture to appear smarter and cooler.

My argument is thus: stop labelling each other. Just enjoy whatever you enjoy, and have fun doing it. Don't be an asshole.

(P.S. As someone that works in science, I am genuinely offended by things like The Big Bang Theory. The IT Crowd is a much more representative show that eschews the offence given by the former.).

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

I don't know if I can admit to being a "nerd". Is the connotation negative?
I think it's difficult to classify people into archetypes like these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
I've always thought that nerds were nerds because of their fetish-like dedication to a certain subject, concept, object or whatever.
@Eclipse:Oh, kinda like Umaru-chan lol.

Level 22
@Ash:
Umaru chan is a nerd; Me mentioning her was because of how similar her (the manga's story) story was to eclipse's cool story. I assumed he would google (or bing or etc. lol) who this umaru chan was, my mistake. The image was my attempt to pique eclipse's interest. I guess it failed lol.

Anyways, pardon me for derailing lol.

Level 36
I think this is probably where our points differ, though: I think it's quite the opposite. It is considered cool to be a nerd. People are ignorant as to what the word means and hope to gain something by association. The very word itself has been mutated by pop culture to mean something different to the literal definition. People that are rightly nerds and geeks have earned these titles by years of zealous devotion to a hobby regarded by others as weird and lame. Statuses, in whatever form, are earned. Saying that you're a nerd because you bought a comic or invested in this month's video game is akin to saying you're a chef because you can cook eggs. All of these things take dedication. Just as an athlete will take time to train in his discipline, a geek will do the same -- and sometimes, not even by choice.

I don't think you got my point at all, because most of what you're saying here was
exactly what I was trying to point out. The interesting thing is, though, that guy in
the video, he's talking about how he doesn't want to call himself a nerd because it's
become such a popular word and because it enfolds a wider variety of people, but
isn't it right to claim that he would have never liked calling himself a nerd?

Considering the fact that before the word became "popular" and "cool" it was used as
a belittling word, as an offense from others directed toward the proclaimed nerd.

I find this general development quite interesting, how it was first that, used to offend,
then the nerds adopted the word in an attempt to remove the negativity of it's use, but
this apparently worked too well, and now it's become a negative word because it got
accepted and adopted again by, as you say, pop culture, and changed. So now it's a
negative word again, although not in the same way.

Level 21
I have all the GoT thrones books,I spend a lot of time online reading about computers,I can take my own PC apart and build it up again and I game more than I eat,sleep and drink combined

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

,I can take my own PC apart and build it up again

I screwed up when I tried that. My "PC" is a laptop

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
I'm both xD
here is a quote from Wikipedia
Nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a descriptive term, often used pejoratively, indicating that a person is overly intellectual, obsessive, or lacking social skills. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive,[4] and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports. Though originally derogatory, "Nerd" is a stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.