• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can we make projects interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Recently, a thread about the most frequent reasons why people don't finish their projects thus I thought it would be a good idea to share some solutions to the problem.

1- Planning the project
Making a draft of what you're going to make is a good first step. If you just start and you don't even know what you're making, you'll end up asking yourself "What am I going to do next?". When you reach this point, you reach a dead end. You should arrange your ideas first and decide what you're going to do in your project and, most essential, if you're up to the project or not. You may also canvass opinions in forums and gather decent ideas to initiate your project.

2- I planned my project, how should I begin?
How you start off the project already determines how it'll will end. Usually people begin very eagerly and ambitiously with a map but just get bored as they face some difficulties repeatedly so here comes laziness to knock on the door! My recommendation is: "Do never start something you're not sure you can work on well because in 99% of the cases (maybe 100%?) people just abandon it to its cruel fate, known as "forever pending :'(".

3- Lacking time?
Do you lack time for your project? Well, don't despair! First of all remember that when you start a project, there isn't a deadline so don't stress yourself about finding more time for a project (take years if you wish, the important is the result). Oftenly people who don't have time for working on maps are the ones that feel more keen to do them because they consider it more like a funny hobby to let up, not a compulsory job.

4- I get so damn bored while working on the project! What to do?
Simple! You have to find ways to keep yourself interested. One solution which is effective is listening to cool music, especially when you're working on repetative and tedious triggers e.g set variable[1]= A, set variable[2]= B ---> set variable[26]= Z. Another thing that tends to discourage the continuation of the project is the terrain. Who didn't get the feeling "Oh dear, I'll have to terrain that big flat piece of dirt in front of me..."? To get your motivation back, you should look at other marvellous complete terrains' screenshots, those that let you think "I wanna make something like that!!". It doesn't matter if you eventually don't reach the wanted result, at least you'll have worked on the terrain. One last recommendation is: "Don't test your map excessively". If you keep testing your map every minute, you'll get tired very soon.

5- Should I have high or low expectations
A very common problem is that people are prone to perfection. Every tiny detail has to be fixed for them yet this could not be a good idea in the end. Eventually, plenty of time would be wasted on petty details rather than on fundamental ones. You can think about the little details when the project is over but not during its creation.

6- Ok now I'm about to finish the project! How should I conclude?
If you managed to complete about 95% or more of your project, then it's time to become meticulous. Don't just think about finishing it and throwing it to the hive. You have go proceed with the same patience you started. This is the most crucial part of your project (probably it's not so clear to everybody). This is the part where you have to consider yourself one of the downloaders and judge your map as if it is not yours. Whatever you do not like has to be refined. Any small bug you find must be fixed. Any further problem you meet must be solved. Once you're certain that your map has reached a decent level (again I say NOT perfection because it's impossible), it's time to upload and wish yourself good luck! The hungry pack of wolves await you to throw to them your fresh meat!

Level 21
1- Planning the project
Making a draft of what you're going to make is a good first step. If you just start and you don't even know what you're making, you'll end up asking yourself "What am I going to do next?". When you reach this point, you reach a dead end. You should arrange your ideas first and decide what you're going to do in your project and, most essential, if you're up to the project or not. You may also canvass opinions in forums and gather decent ideas to initiate your project.

2- I planned my project, how should I begin?
How you start off the project already determines how it'll will end. Usually people begin very eagerly and ambitiously with a map but just get bored as they face some difficulties repeatedly so here comes laziness to knock on the door! My recommendation is: "Do never start something you're not sure you can work on well because in 99% of the cases (maybe 100%?) people just abandon it to its cruel fate, known as "forever pending :'(".

3- Lacking time?
Do you lack time for your project? Well, don't despair! First of all remember that when you start a project, there isn't a deadline so don't stress yourself about finding more time for a project (take years if you wish, the important is the result). Oftenly people who don't have time for working on maps are the ones that feel more keen to do them because they consider it more like a funny hobby to let up, not a compulsory job.

4- I get so damn bored while working on the project! What to do?
Simple! You have to find ways to keep yourself interested. One solution which is effective is listening to cool music, especially when you're working on repetative and tedious triggers e.g set variable[1]= A, set variable[2]= B ---> set variable[26]= Z. Another thing that tends to discourage the continuation of the project is the terrain. Who didn't get the feeling "Oh dear, I'll have to terrain that big flat piece of dirt in front of me..."? To get your motivation back, you should look at other marvellous complete terrains' screenshots, those that let you think "I wanna make something like that!!". It doesn't matter if you eventually don't reach the wanted result, at least you'll have worked on the terrain. One last recommendation is: "Don't test your map excessively". If you keep testing your map every minute, you'll get tired very soon.

5- Should I have high or low expectations
A very common problem is that people are prone to perfection. Every tiny detail has to be fixed for them yet this could not be a good idea in the end. Eventually, plenty of time would be wasted on petty details rather than on fundamental ones. You can think about the little details when the project is over but not during its creation.

6- Ok now I'm about to finish the project! How should I conclude?
If you managed to complete about 95% or more of your project, then it's time to become meticulous. Don't just think about finishing it and throwing it to the hive. You have go proceed with the same patience you started. This is the most crucial part of your project (probably it's not so clear to everybody). This is the part where you have to consider yourself one of the downloaders and judge your map as if it is not yours. Whatever you do not like has to be refined. Any small bug you find must be fixed. Any further problem you meet must be solved. Once you're certain that your map has reached a decent level (again I say NOT perfection because it's impossible), it's time to upload and wish yourself good luck! The hungry pack of wolves await you to throw to them your fresh meat!

1. Overplanning is also a common problem. There has to be some kind of a balance between doing and thinking. For me, it's best achieved by doing work in small bits whenever possible, because after finishing one bit I will think "What should I do now?".
2. I'd advise the opposite - Start everything, try everything. Many good maps started out as random experiments.
4. Terraining is a fun part for me. I consider it a way to express myself.
About testing too much, this is actually a wider problem - Focusing on things that don't produce much. One should keep in mind that there will be many more tests and you don't have to figure out everything the first time. When designing heroes I think up as many or few abilities as I can at a time and if they aren't enough, I will move on to other heroes. The reason is that during the many tests I will eventually think of something for the previous heroes.
5. This is part of the same problem that people fixate too much on a single thing at a time. If something doesn't work out, let it go for now.
6. Conclusively it's called polish. Once you have all of the core stuff done you can focus on testing and tweaking. Of special note is that at this stage I look over the tooltips and other kinds of feedback that is likely to have changed, because there likely won't be major changes anymore to them.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Seems pretty logical to me, sadly the "I am bored while doing triggers" isn't exactly the type of boredom I am experiencing . For me it's like this:

Day 1: import 100 models/skins
Day 2: create intro cinematic/dialogue + import a few systems (most of them made by myself)
Day 3: create most of the core gameplay systems
Day 4: the basic gameplay functionality is done, all that is left is boring spells and copy paste stuff. As in creating quests chains for RPG's I enjoy writing the quest dialogue but making quest triggers are so boring since it's a lot of simple shit that requires no brain activity.
Day 5: give up or rush the release without polishing and get a 3/5

This sums of most of the projects

Level 21
That's not starting a project, that's experimenting which is totally different from what I'm saying.

That's actually the same thing for me. Whether something is a project or not differs only in how much time you are willing to put into it.
Although I do admit that I don't actually do everything that I think of. Rather, the focus is on being actively looking for ideas a lot of the time.

Day 4: the basic gameplay functionality is done, all that is left is boring spells and copy paste stuff. As in creating quests chains for RPG's I enjoy writing the quest dialogue but making quest triggers are so boring since it's a lot of simple shit that requires no brain activity.
Day 5: give up or rush the release without polishing and get a 3/5

GUI Life?

1.i get ideas while creating the map but i get ideas and plans from media stuff or from some maps how do you think i got the idea for cannibal feed i have see in one map a hero that have the passiv ability that gives the hero with every kill more strenght i that was very funny for me the ability is called absorb and the map is called OMG 1.9d(oh my god).
2.i start with terrain,doodads,imported stuff and decoration,if the map is used for multiplayer then it is better to import as little you can becasue people hate to wait the download...well warcraft has very nice stuff special if know how to use them and fusion them then if you now that special stuff you can do an amazing,awesom,epic map.
3.anything what you say is true in this nummber i have not time for this but when i have time i do it becasue its for me a funny hoby that makes me happy and with every map i make i'm better and better.
4.so my old are bored while making them but my upcoming map is so funny while creating the map and cool that i can't wait to play it i mean its the first map that makes me not bored while creating but without my teachers from hive i can do it becasue they teach me nearly every day how to work with triggers and with teachers i mean all people what have support me and will soon suport and for that when i get a safe job and a kredit card i will be the one who donates the site to keep it alive.
5.i think when my upcoming project is finish i that the map will be popular,i stay a positiv person ^^.
6.my upcoming has bug that i currently fix and the gameplay and the map description i do ever at last so its not playable=not uploadable and it will be a locked map becasue the gameplay didn't exsist,the map is like dracula so dracula is the first vampire well the gameplay is the first...^^

Level 12
How about hosting a kickstarter for very ambitious projects? Puts some small money in your pocket, keeps you under pressure and your fans and backers interested cause they paid you money.

Biggest problem probably is creating the social media buzz for the potentially interested people.

Status
Not open for further replies.