• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is this allowed on this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I am promoting my own map. So I am conducting a challenge that the winners can win a real prize. If your in the Philippines you know about load.

Only Philippine members allowed since I don't have a Paypal account to send money.

I am reading the rules and I am confused. I am doing some advertising here I admit that. Doing some business cause I am sending money to the winners I admit that. But I am just promoting my own map. Is that allowed here?..

Level 34
Using money to trick players to play your map is rather cheap imo.
Yeah but don't be surprised. I am not at least. Everything today became business! Everything what was supposed before to be fun or what people were doing for fun now becomes business. Partying with friends for interests, finding girl (whose want interest from you), friends from job (yeah, friendship from interest).... so I just wonder moment when someone will bring business class here, to promote his stuff for some money because obviously he cannot get attention otherwise.

Personally I do not care either about this. Do whatever you want, but we really need Ralle to say word about it because we did not have such situations before (or I missed it).
He is from Philippines, and he basically wants only Philippine people to play map and get prizes, yet again, to be here on English site, to become his host/stream whatever is called. This is special situation which needs administrator's attention.
But rules say
,,Trading
The Hive is not a marketplace. Offering or soliciting items for sale or in trade is not permitted through:
Forum posts
Linking to eBay or other online marketplaces
Listing you have something for trade and then offering your contact information"
I do not know if this is consider trading or not. He is not seeling/offering anything, but yet, money is involved.

Level 28
He should have posted this on our group called PRS instead of here. I think what he wants to do is okay since its his money and the rules says the other way around(getting money instead of what is aiming which is giving). I still see it cheap though I mean if his map is really good then we will be willing to compete without even a reward.

Level 36
Using money to trick players to play your map is rather cheap imo.

It's more like "using money to give people incentive to play your map." There's no
"tricking" in the picture here, it's not like offering money will force people to play
it. Sure some might do it simply because they want the money, but then, so what?
Furthermore, if money's what they want, then they get what the want and the map-
maker gets what he wants, everyone wins. So on and so forth.

Anyway, to answer the question:

If recent discussions in the Mods' Lobby is anything to go by, there should be no
problem with you hosting an unofficial contest in the respective section for the
resource with a currency labelled prize.

Furthermore, there's no rules dictating that users can't host unofficial contests nor is
there any rules dictating that you can't offer money for the winners. I do imagine,
though, that The Hive takes no responsibility to handle the money or restore anything
that might be lost in the process, basically: Be sure you know what you're doing before
you do it.

Level 28
It's more like "using money to give people incentive to play your map."

I guess that is a better way to describe it. But people will still play his map when they find it interesting. Since his map is still just fresh out of the oven I still find this a cheap promotion. Don't you usually put up contest when you already have a solid number of players?

About my
He should have posted this on our group called PRS instead of here.
I just check the group and it looks like you already did. You should probably just wait for the others to reply there. Or bug your close pals on the group since there is only very few who bothers going there since the only active thread is the random discussion thread.

Level 6
Guys this will be cancelled. I will now quit on Warcraft modding. I have a Unity Engine Pro for the game engine, Blender for my own modeling and perhaps my Photoshop for texturing. And this is enough for me to start learning in creating my own game outside of warcraft. So my current project will be stop. Thanks for the concern you give to this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.