• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft: A New Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 152855

D

Deleted member 152855

Hello everyone.
I must admit, I havn't read the whole 160+ pages, but I really hope this project still runs.

Because I am really interested in this mod see the light of day.

I would like to help with what little I have to offer.
I have many ideas about a "real" follow-up to Warcraft 3 since WoW TOTALLY MESSED everything up.
Seriously: Thrall's "New" Horde together with the Forsaken, the Blood Elves AND Orc Warlocks?! WTF?
They tried so desperatly to put everything in two factions, that they just messed it up.

(Besides, I am "germanic" :at: )

Deleted member 152855

D

Deleted member 152855

Okay then.

I uploaded my draft on WC4.

Please be kind as this is several years old now.

I put an unfinished story up too, but this was only a first draft I wrote a year ago.
I think the wording needs a big overhaul - as I said, first draft and I am german, so no native speaker.

But I like to write stories and might help.

Attachments

• Warcraft IV.doc
    40 KB · Views: 199
  • (WC) A Dark Alliance.doc
    30 KB · Views: 112
It says this, more or less:

A new Warcraft with the graphics of StarCraft II, many fans dream of it, but sometimes it doesn't stop with dreams. The WLOTD community is working on WarCraft: Legacy of the Damned, a total conversion that will convert Starcraft II to Warcraft. It's an extraordinairily ambitious project because all 3d-models and terrain types have to be replaced, and after that work has to start on two campaigns (orcs and humans), each of which will contain ten missions. Totally insane or achievable? In any case, the WLOTD community is continually growing and the 3d-models of orc warriors and dwarven rifleman make one dream of a significally (polished?) version of Warcraft III.

Reactions: Rui
Level 10
One: Have you guys thought of focusing on the history of a great WoW NPC as a sub-campaign?

not a WoW npc, but a certain piece of side-lore from WoW yes.
Maybe as a FPS or something.
you're joking right?

Also, you didn't even bother making normals for those wow models, did you?
normals? what do you mean? I don't know cause I didn't export the unit models.

Now i paid attention to the terrain. And i was like wadafackydidhedodat.

lol is that good or bad? :p

Level 10
interesting.. and what program did you use?

edit: I didn't realize 4 is "most" but yes you're right I could have just looked at the resources and found my answer out for myself.

Level 10
We've pretty much left the Hive as it's Sc2 forums are all but dead and aren't very helpful anyway. Look us up on Sc2 mapster to see the real project. (We're no longer Legacy of the Damned either, we changed names and everything).

Level 16
166805-albums4491-picture43692.png

Looks so neat :eek:, who is making your website?

Level 10
Both Grey and I made the website, TWIF is currently in the process of getting us a Vbulletin for our new forums and we should be up and running soon. Currently we hit a snag as our main Data guy, and organizer have had computer problems.

Level 16
Both Grey and I made the website, TWIF is currently in the process of getting us a Vbulletin for our new forums and we should be up and running soon. Currently we hit a snag as our main Data guy, and organizer have had computer problems.

Your website is slow, the start page is able to scroll down, can be fixed trough Css i think. Basicly its very slow site

Level 10
hmm dunno what to tell ya, it's runin fine for me and I haven't gotten any complaints about that.

As for the scrolling down part, we can't fix that unfortunately. It's part of the website builder we used.

Level 10
Well, we've got the Orc tech tree 90% complete, still working on the custom UI. We have a large library of WoW models, so we pretty much can just make maps with those dependencies exactly like you can with the current Sc2 Libraries. Ground textures are being a huge pain in the ass and hopefully soon we'll have some custom structures. Within a day or two I'll post our current melee orc tech tree and include our in depth item/hero system.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I am giving negative reputation if you spam the thread again.

Sad to hear that you are not using the Hive anymore. I really don't like to see people dividing further instead of uniting, that's my philosophy for most maps, but maybe your mod has the dimensions to compensate.
Please at least keep the thread updated.
~Thread cleaned

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
How you solving the armor system? Are you trying to immitate the mechanics WC3 used or you going for an adapeted SC2 mechanic? Same with attack types.

I discovered a useful mechanic of catalogs with triggers.
1. You can itterate through all members of a specific cataloge.
2. You can get the parent member of a specific member.

Combining these would, in theory, allow you to use triggers to enhance all effects that extend a certain member. In the case of a realistic WC3 damage system, you could make attack types by simply getting a damage member to extend a parent member. As the tooltips for all armor of a certain type are the same, you could use the very localization path of the armor on the unit as an armor type identifier. By combining these 2, you could maybe make a system emulating many different armor types and applying a damage correction quanity to compensate bonuses or penalties that an attack should do to an armor type.

The only problem would occur if you try and patch a member by extending itself (such as editing data from a dependant mod) as this obscures the parent in a permanent way (reports itself as its own parent).

Level 10
interesting.. and then have empty behaviors to display them as if their armor is actually apart of the character?

edit: unless your saying we display damage/armor values entirely via triggers

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
How to store an armor value is still something I have not figured out. You do not seem to be able to get the magnitude of custom attributes nor the quantity of normal armor using script directly. For armor type you can just use the normal armor icon each unit type is given. Additionally you could just have a standard saying used for all damage types.

Remember that the data editor stores all text as localized text at a certain path. Thus you can use the same text for multiple data elements by simply using the same localization path.

What is good about a localization path is that it is a string (only the localized text they point to is text) and that it is invisible to clients during gameplay (unless localization fails in which case it shows the paths). Using the catalogue natives you can read this localization path for a piece of data to get a string. This string can then, in theory, be passed directly into something like a data table to get a value you attach to it using script at map initialization.

Thus from something like the armor description on a unit, you could map it to a set of tables for that kind of armor prety efficiently. Damage types could be detected through hyrachy at map initialization automatically and mapped to the appropaite damage response trigger on an effect by effect baisis.

This might solve attack and armor types, but still does not solve armor reduction.

In WC3 I know that types were calculated after armor reduction. Additionally armor could never reduce damage below 1 (although type could than multiply that 1 to be less).

Thus one would need quite a bit of maths.
1. test if unit is applicable to armor reduction, if so then calculate intended damage.
2. get type multiplyer
3. Reheal or damage the unit in a non registering way (no event handlers fire) to get the correct damage for the mechanic (remember that some damage would already have been done by the effect).

Status
Not open for further replies.