• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 4 Dev Preview (Showcase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Nice ;P great work this far!

The undead mining sound is a bit annoying though :/

Level 3
Did you convert the models yourself? or is there any library anywhere for all these warcraft 3 models?

I kinda want them for a map im making, Ofc i would give full credit to whoever made the models/skins.

Otherwise the mod itself looks really great!

peq

peq

Level 6
So is the plan to reproduce the original Warcraft 3 exeperiencen in the SC2 engine, or will there be differences?

What is the current status? How many units and abilities have been ported already?

How does it compare to WAH?

Level 13
1. I wanna make warcraft 3 but with some changes like change some abilities, old models for better one, better gameplay, maybe some new units

2. Corrent status is undead race is finished and orc to be finished need 2 units , 2 buildings

3. Doesnt compare, i dont wanan use wow models, that isnt work, its very easy to use them and some models have a very confusing graphic, sometimes wow models has better graphic than sc 2 and that looks ugly. And WaH using a very different abilities , similiar to wow, i'm not.

1. I wanna make warcraft 3 but with some changes like change some abilities, old models for better one, better gameplay, maybe some new units

2. Corrent status is undead race is finished and orc to be finished need 2 units , 2 buildings

3. Doesnt compare, i dont wanan use wow models, that isnt work, its very easy to use them and some models have a very confusing graphic, sometimes wow models has better graphic than sc 2 and that looks ugly. And WaH using a very different abilities , similiar to wow, i'm not.

What you need is someone who can combine WoW models with wc3 to produce high quality and unique feeling models.

if you look at: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/de...-to-sc2-made-nice-fast-and-easy-research/#p20.- I've done it with the spell breaker in less than 1 hour. The idea would be to use the original Wc3 Animations and use a combination of WoW meshes with Wc3 meshes and some Sc2 texturing techniques to give a unique feeling.

I believe that if it's done correctly, you'll have the best of the three games. the idea then would be to try to generate specular maps and normal maps with an inclination on making contrast towards the highest parts of the model. That and some color theory should get the models to look just right in Sc2.

Btw in that thread there's a photoshop action to convert textures to Diffuse/Specular and normal maps. I suggest you use them to improve the quality of your wc3 models in Sc2.

Level 13
i like my version, i dont wanna have best quality like wow models, my models are good in sc 2 because starcraft 2 has a automatic shadows and lighting etc... so models are converted into this quality. And i dont wanna use any wow model, i can only some doddads and destructibe , coz like i see, any warcraft maker using only wow models, i dont like too much wow and still love warcraft 3 so i wanna make my own version :3

But thank you for opinion and suggesion ,and you made it nice :p

i like my version, i dont wanna have best quality like wow models, my models are good in sc 2 because starcraft 2 has a automatic shadows and lighting etc... so models are converted into this quality. And i dont wanna use any wow model, i can only some doddads and destructibe , coz like i see, any warcraft maker using only wow models, i dont like too much wow and still love warcraft 3 so i wanna make my own version :3

But thank you for opinion and suggesion ,and you made it nice :p

There's also another option, which is increasing details on Wc3 models by adding poligons, reunwrapping and reskinning(linking geometry to bones) the models. One could also reproject the original texture and create ambient occlusion to improve their feeling. The shield on the footman could also benefit from decals and some other models could also use new sc2 feutures.

Also, I noticed your models don't have the original particle emitters. Do you have a modeler who has access to Sc2 Art Tools? I have a version of my NeoDex Importer which works for Sc2 art Tools and it recreates all the effects.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

There's also another option, which is increasing details on Wc3 models by adding poligons, reunwrapping and reskinning(linking geometry to bones) the models. One could also reproject the original texture and create ambient occlusion to improve their feeling. The shield on the footman could also benefit from decals and some other models could also use new sc2 feutures.
That's a lot of work for one person to do :/

That's a lot of work for one person to do :/

That would be 1 day per model for someone with decent knowledge of 3ds max. If he uses NeoDex tools and does the first part on Wc3, it could take 4 hours each with some practice. It will also depend on the model itself. For instance, the footman can be done in 3 hours, a doodad in 30 minutes, a building perhaps more.

I think I'll try experimenting with that once I finish fixing the NeoDex importer. The newest version, makes the job be easy.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

There's 834 units, 247 destructibles and 469 doodads. Taken ~20% of these are duplicate models, there's roughly 1,24k models to rewrap. If it'd take 2 hr per model, it'd take 2,28k hours to rewrap them all. If he worked on them for like 4 hours a day, it'd take 570 days to finish rewrapping them all.

There's 834 units, 247 destructibles and 469 doodads. Taken ~20% of these are duplicate models, there's roughly 1,24k models to rewrap. If it'd take 2 hr per model, it'd take 2,28k hours to rewrap them all. If he worked on them for like 4 hours a day, it'd take 570 days to finish rewrapping them all.

don't do it on every model just main races models: heros, basic units and buildings.

That's around 150. with avarage of 3 hours per model. It's 450 hours divided by 5 modelers it's 90 hours of work per modeler. that can be achieved in 4 months if each modeler does around 8 hours a week. It's possible.

Level 13
hah, i will do my work, by my own ok? :D THANK you for suggestions :D I dont wanna waste my life time by sc 2. I'm graphic designer doing something different and this is my hobby. And i dont wanna make a cool , perfect model into game which has it. And models after rewrap and retexture etc.. should looks cool , but they looks totaly perfectly ugly, a lot of perfect graphic can hurt eyes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Damn those WC3 models look so much better in SC2 than WC3.

My only complaint with it so far is the mining mechanics are not quite right. They work perfectly acceptably but they lack the bling that WC3 had. Eg the haunted gold mine in WC3 arranged them all nicely in a circle around it with awesome ritualistic decals on the ground, where as yours clump to one of the edges in this.

You may also want to look into using WoW models for some key things. They closer match the SC2 native quality and are not too much for the game engine.

Level 29
IDK why you made orc & undead first instead the orc & human which formed the core since wc1.
Anyways i watched the vid and like to point out that the Shamans lightning ball is an actual projectile weapon in wc3 as opposed to the instant shot lightning you have used in there. The only thing with instant weapon is Rifleman in wc3 and you effectively overpowered Shamans with this change.
Whats the orange thunder effect on the ground for, earthquake ?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

How about UI? Will you out the wc3 one there?

Level 10
I don't play StarCraft but this looks awesome. Native models of Warcraft III in StarCraft !
223635-albums6286-picture87646.gif

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I strongly Suggest doing something about the UI. The SC2 UI completely breaks the immersion factor for me. I haven't messed with SC2 editor almost at all so I have no idea how much work that requires but it's still a suggestion. You also might want to take some ground textures from WoW, not all, but some.

Status
Not open for further replies.