• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about mods and blizzard's policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where else to post this.

It occurs to me that Warcraft III has a lot of maps and mods featuring third party characters. eg I remember playing a tower defense map featuring Nintendo character models as towers. Many of those models are even on this site's download pages.

Fast forward to starcraft II, and something must have changed along the way, since starcraft II's EULA appears to put strict limits on what you can and can't make as a mod. Also I found out first hand that you can't post things from other games in this site's resources section.

I'm not trying to appeal anything here, I just really want to know what happened.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where else to post this.

It occurs to me that Warcraft III has a lot of maps and mods featuring third party characters. eg I remember playing a tower defense map featuring Nintendo character models as towers. Many of those models are even on this site's download pages.

Fast forward to starcraft II, and something must have changed along the way, since starcraft II's EULA appears to put strict limits on what you can and can't make as a mod. Also I found out first hand that you can't post things from other games in this site's resources section.

I'm not trying to appeal anything here, I just really want to know what happened.

Rips from other games are not supported by this site. Can you point us to which models you refer to (bold-underlined sentence of the quote)?

The thing is not that Blizzard doesn't allow other games' models (I am not familiar with any explicit rule), it's the companies that don't allow exportation of their models in other games.

Level 3
Rips from other games are not supported by this site. Can you point us to which models you refer to (bold-underlined sentence of the quote)?

The thing is not that Blizzard doesn't allow other games' models (I am not familiar with any explicit rule), it's the companies that don't allow exportation of their models in other games.

That makes more sense now. I thought it was based on what the model was of, but I guess its where its from that counts.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Exportation of models from other Blizzard games is oked by Blizzard themselves. Many WC3 and SC2 maps with WoW models have been spotlighted on their official site.

Exportation of models and resources from other games often goes un-noticed if your map never catches (few people play it). However if it does get popular there is a chance Blizzard may remove it pre-emptively or that the intellectual property owners may demand Blizzard removes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.