• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dwarven Court Mage

Another one of my random projects.

Feel free to use and/or edit this model as much as you want, so long as I get the credit I'm due.

Keywords:
Dwarf, Mage, Hero, Sorcerer, Wizard, Alliance, More Witty Keywords!
Contents

Dwarven Court Mage (Model)

Reviews
14:34, 6th Jul 2014 MiniMage: Doesn't look as dwarvish as the other ones, but anyhow, approved for the same reason as the other dwarf models was.

M

14:34, 6th Jul 2014
MiniMage: Doesn't look as dwarvish as the other ones, but anyhow, approved for the same reason as the other dwarf models was.

Level 49
i like this. this looks really cool. the only thing i could suggest is maybe giving him the facial hair wc3 dwarves has?
but that's more of a personal taste and does not hinder me from giving this model a solid 5/5

Level 4
These are beautiful animations. Another amazing and unique model. No complaints or problems I can see with it. Definite 5/5 from me.

I'm not comfortable with the usual WC3 Dwarf proportions, they just seem so... ridiculous; this model was an attempt at a middle-ground.

I'd built him up like a Noble, of sorts, with a few warrior elements. An example of this is in his Talk animation where he literally turns his nose up at you, talking down to you. Sort of like the regular Archmage, with a little more class, or a love of combat.

I forgot to fix the frequency of his animations, leading to him always moving around in his portrait, and constantly floating or looking about. It's nothing major, and you're all free to fix it if you like, its a simple thing to do in Magos Model Editor.

I'm not comfortable with the usual WC3 Dwarf proportions, they just seem so... ridiculous; this model was an attempt at a middle-ground.

I'd built him up like a Noble, of sorts, with a few warrior elements. An example of this is in his Talk animation where he literally turns his nose up at you, talking down to you. Sort of like the regular Archmage, with a little more class, or a love of combat.

I forgot to fix the frequency of his animations, leading to him always moving around in his portrait, and constantly floating or looking about. It's nothing major, and you're all free to fix it if you like, its a simple thing to do in Magos Model Editor.
Details. It's pretty.
I still don't believe that that's the peasant/militia texture on his face. You've altered it quite well using the wrap:thumbs_up:

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Alright! So I gotta say, I'm overall pretty impressed with this dude. Not only due to my love of Dwarves, but just the depth of style & animations done to this guy. It's the little things that count. :p Now as a warning, I'm on a computer where I can't actually look at the model, so I'm going off of what I saw last night & the picture today.

The Good
  • First of all, the face. Maaaan that's good stuff. While any seasoned Wc3 veteran can tell where it came from, the wrap is done so eloquently across your fancy face-mesh that it's nearly unrecognizable. Certainly no Militia-head geomerge here. :p Quite impressive, and essential (since a good custom face is necessary for a good Hero)
  • While I'm not convinced those are Dwarven proportions (see below), I do like the mesh of the body overall. Nice and stocky.
  • I love his cape/combo with those interesting clothing & weapons... The hat-crest-thing is weird, but I guess it makes sense...
  • Cool little dichotomy, having a weak mage's staff & a burly warrior's WOLVERINE blades.
  • ANIMATIONS! I love having a powerful Hovering dude (starting to sense a pattern here? :p), and you've done a great job of implementing a powerful mage. The attacks and spells are all so smooth, and meshed well with the particles. I agree, the Portrait should be updated, but the feeling you intended; it's there, and it's a good fit.
  • The SFX you used were pretty good, keeping things interesting... Except for the 'magicky-blade/hammer' on the Slam animations. Those weren't good... They were great. :p I loved that, it was just like that extra bit of 'cool'. Really gives an 'oomph' to his Slam animations.
  • Again, great combination of mesh & animations when it came to the face. "Disdain" is written all over it.

That being said...

The Bad
  • While I like his mesh overall, I'm not sold on him being a "Dwarf". Something about his head/body or something... I know you're not a fan, but consider lining him up with Wc3 Dwarves a little more, perhaps as an alternate version? I'm not sure that's in the grasp of the layman.
  • Also on that note, I'd love to see a for-srs BEARD on this guy; part of what makes Wc3 Dwarves so appealing is their crazy-ridiculous BEARDage that just defies all logic. :p (although again, I love the mesh behind his facial-hair)
  • While the claws are cool, they look weird coming straight out of a leather gauntlet with no backing or support... Try a metal bracer or something to attach them to? (Unless you intended his hand to look impaled? :p)
  • The staff... Is cool, but I'm worried it's either A: too weak for a Hero or B: too strong for a unit. Eh?
  • That head thing is weird. No idea what else could go there, though.
  • I love the hovering, but I'm really worried about how Stand 1 & 2 work with that. I didn't see any 'graceful transition' aside from Stand 3... So I'm not sure he shouldn't just be floating all the time. Can you show/prove in-game that it isn't an issue?
  • I wonder if, as a super-Dwarven floaty-mage dude, he shouldn't have better body armor than a simple leather jerkin. I thought the wrap was swell; it's just odd having a Hero with such mundane, non-protective armor. Eh? Chains, plates, bracers? Something...

• And last but certainly not least:
  • HE'S JUST TOO AWEXOME.

Great model overall, and an excellent addition to the database. Those are some of my thoughts. What are yours? : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
You really dislike updating your models, don't you? :p

Those are all pretty legitimate complaints, but with his armor, its a little bit more substantial than the original Archmage's cloth robes, and thats enough for me.
Hrm, I suppose. What about the arm-claws? Or the staff or helmet? Or the beard?

Vermillion Edict said:
It started off Dwarven, it really did, but eventually turned into that burly character you see there.
Hehe. I understand how sometimes the art takes the artist for a ride. Well I suppose I can try my hand at shortening the arms & legs...

Last edited: