• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gnome Brassman

Righto, it's a gnome deathtrap with various leisure stuffs inside.
This model is for modelling contest #26.

And a quick question, do you guys think I should have a hero glow to signify it's a hero or do you think that the large machine already shows it?

2.png

1.png

Keywords:
Gnome, Machine, Bob Marley
Contents

Gnome Brassman (Model)

Reviews
15:45, 6th Aug 2014 MiniMage: Contest is over, so approved.

M

15:45, 6th Aug 2014
MiniMage: Contest is over, so approved.

This would instant-kill everyone outside of Alliance... These machines don't really fit with War3 since it is just imbalanced. I love how you added small props and an environment inside the machine. Most tend to hide it with nontransparent glass. You should also leave the team glow out. It looks more mechanical without any glows. This deserves a DC. 5/5

Level 49
the shooting cannon on his crotch reminds me of my wolfsbane model. only..wolfy doesn't really shoot stuff.

also, i think you don't really need to add hero glow. there's an attachment hero glow thingy here if i'm not mistaken. people could just attach it.

Level 16
You should definitely add hero glow, all the heroes have it, and this model is not supposed to be massively used anyway in a single map. Above all else, it will look as if the 'robot' thing has lights, for night. you know. Illumination.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
While I agree this is awexome, I kinda wish contestants would avoid putting up their model to the resource section before at least the end of the deadline. :<

That being said, this is an interesting model... Doesn't really strike my fancy, personally, but I can a lot of work went into it's making.

Blue exhaust clouds?

The spinning orb-seat thing is a pretty neat idea, and I like the wide variety of Attack/Spell animations you gave it. The Alternate Walk is pretty nice, but the normal Walk could use some help (not sure how).

Overall, pretty good & good luck in the contest!

Level 20
@Kyrbi0
Oh I thought it was legit cause I seen a lot of contestants from the past putting their models up in the resource section. Sorry I guess. And the exhaust clouds isn't really blue?

@Grendel
I must say, if I didn't saw your model that day, I might not had this idea.

@knight26
I'll think about that, cause I'm still not too surea bout the hero glow.

@genin, hein and solu

Bout the machine, yeah I thought this seems like a good idea cause Gnomes themselves are generally really underwhelming, so why not a super huge robot that spells defeat like never before? :D

Level 21
I wouldn't put a hero glow on any hero model. It's unnecessary, considering that it's extremely easy to add one. (There's even an attachment for just that)
Even further, I actually delete hero glows from custom models in my maps, because they usually don't fit the theme. (Heroes in my maps are not divine beings, usually at least)

It's easier to add a hero glow to a model that doesn't have it than it is to remove from one that does.

I wouldn't put a hero glow on any hero model. It's unnecessary, considering that it's extremely easy to add one. (There's even an attachment for just that)
Even further, I actually delete hero glows from custom models in my maps, because they usually don't fit the theme. (Heroes in my maps are not divine beings, usually at least)

It's easier to add a hero glow to a model that doesn't have it than it is to remove from one that does.

Completely agrees with this.
I am often offput by units having hero glow. All it does is make the unit less useful. As Xonok said, it's much easier to add the glow than removing it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
@Kyrbi0
Oh I thought it was legit cause I seen a lot of contestants from the past putting their models up in the resource section. Sorry I guess. And the exhaust clouds isn't really blue?
Oh, I don't know anything about whether it was 'legit' or not; no idea whether or not there are any rules about it.

I was just voicing my opinion about something I wish was the case... It gives modelers who do so an unnecessary & unfair advantage over others.

Level 20
Oh, I don't know anything about whether it was 'legit' or not; no idea whether or not there are any rules about it.

I was just voicing my opinion about something I wish was the case... It gives modelers who do so an unnecessary & unfair advantage over others.

Well then you better make a rule about it I guess, starting from the next contest onwards or just temporarily/permanently remove the contest model threads in the models section now, and stating what rule should be followed.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well then you better make a rule about it I guess, starting from the next contest onwards or just temporarily/permanently remove the contest model threads in the models section now, and stating what rule should be followed.
I'm not sure I understand... I've never had the power to make this a reality. Perhaps on the last Modeling Contest which I 'hosted' (but still was no moderator over). Just expressing my opinion of how things could/should be run. : )

Completely agrees with this.
I am often offput by units having hero glow. All it does is make the unit less useful. As Xonok said, it's much easier to add the glow than removing it.
Eh... I somewhat disagree. It is easier to add than remove... Unless you want to do it 'right'. Thing is, Hero Glow was never just a single TC glowing plane attached to the Origin. Heroes also tend to have a smaller TC-glow-plane attached to their Chest, and any number of smaller TC-glow-planes attached to their weapon(s). Sure, we can all download a Hero Glow model(s) and attach them, but it gets cumbersome & it's difficult to make work for a wide variety of models.

I'd almost submit that it's easier (with a little coaching) to remove; merely open in any model editor (I'd suggest Magos), Shift-Click with the Geoset tab open to find the right ones, and then delete them.

I wouldn't know how to add them (via model).

Eh... I somewhat disagree. It is easier to add than remove... Unless you want to do it 'right'. Thing is, Hero Glow was never just a single TC glowing plane attached to the Origin. Heroes also tend to have a smaller TC-glow-plane attached to their Chest, and any number of smaller TC-glow-planes attached to their weapon(s). Sure, we can all download a Hero Glow model(s) and attach them, but it gets cumbersome & it's difficult to make work for a wide variety of models.

I'd almost submit that it's easier (with a little coaching) to remove; merely open in any model editor (I'd suggest Magos), Shift-Click with the Geoset tab open to find the right ones, and then delete them.

I wouldn't know how to add them (via model).

You've got a point. Though I would say for the common user who mostly use this site to browse through the resource sections. The add hero glow is an easy option, which is not as good as a true hero glow, but it does the job good enough.
Whereas removing the geoset may seem like a task, which just takes too long if you use a whole lot of hero models you want to un-hero glow.

I don't see why you need an explicit rule for that. You create a resource, be it in a contest or within model section, you can upload them on the Model section as well.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I don't see why you need an explicit rule for that. You create a resource, be it in a contest or within model section, you can upload them on the Model section as well.
Well, we're not talking about whether contestants can upload their models to the model section; we're talking about keeping them from doing so after the contest is over, at least.

Part of the issue is that this can provide confusion & an unfair advantage in terms of judging (as seen in MC#25 which I ran); some users provided a "FINAL" post with their entry attached (as was mandated), while others merely linked to the upload in the Models section. This allowed them to 'get away' with updates past the deadline (requiring us to acquire accountability & previous versions (if they were lucky enough to still exist)).

Moreover, the Models section provides a forum (no pun intended) for users to rate, make suggestions, etc, and for moderators to (plausibly) psuedo-approve & make judgement calls; even moderators who are(n't) judges for the contest in question! This can never be done in a strictly egalitarian fashion (i.e. everyone gets the same amount of advice, etc), so it is necessarily imbalanced.
Moreover moreover, this increased traffic in 'alternate' locations is counter-productive to the life of the Modeling Contest thread from which it started; part of the idea is to have everyone focused on this thread & posting on it, increasing it's weight & noticeability & popularity (as well as general energy/fervor for the topic). Diffusing it across many locations is counter-productive.

I've seen contestants post entries & get sound advice to make their entry better... While others languished alone on the main MC thread.

If a contestant feels they want to upload their entry, more power to them; in fact, I'd prefer that to searching through old Modeling Contests for cool old models that never saw the light of day. :p However, it should be regulated to be dis-allowed until after the contest is over, for a variety of reasons (some of which are aforementioned).

Just my 2(00) cents. :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Disallowing it generates a lot of damage control that you have to deal with (that is, keep yourself alerted whether someone's entry is uploaded and needs to be deleted). So, why not freely allowing it and let the contestants decide on their own? Then, they will be able to either take advantage of the promotional act or not.
I recognize that there is an argument to be made for not making more work for Moderators & Administrators. However, I still feel that this gives an unfair and un-mitigated advantage to some contestants over others (i.e. -Grendel over PvT.Toma, for a pertinent example; more people are paying attention to -Grendel's thread than Toma's, with more advice, critique, and improvement being granted to an already stellar model).

Moreover, I feel that as a community we're pretty good at keeping within guidelines like these; people are friendly enough and accommodating enough to abide by rules such as these. It's a gentlemen's sport; we can all work together to lighten the load.

Level 20
D: Sadly my UV-Wraps aren't clean as to grab their attention.
Anyway, I guess more work for the moderators isn't that big of a problem(?). Well anyway I still suggest Krybi0 making a stand(which seems obvious which side you take) and try to get someone implement it this/next contest.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well anyway I still suggest Krybi0 making a stand(which seems obvious which side you take) and try to get someone implement it this/next contest.
Well probably. I try to get things accomplished for a variety of contests, though it doesn't often stick. :<

However, I know I'm not the only one; Misha has expressed similar concerns:
well.. here's the reason why contest models shouldn't be posted while the contest is still running.. people flood the author with suggestions and some even end up changing the model, while they have set the design as final in the contest, as it is, for us judges to examine and rate...

no offense people..