• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cottage

I took a tiny break off of requests (little over half are done) and made this quaint little dwelling.

This is not technically a building, it is a prop. So don't start throwing roses and popping champagne bottles just yet. :)

The lantern and window produce light, so you won't have to hide torches on the inside to illuminate the terrain around it.

I've got two more buildings like this in the works right now, a wooden watch-tower such that humans would make (an alternative to using the orc watch towers in human camps) and a double-stacked building with market stalls.

Changes
-Brightened Lantern Glow
-Remodeled Wall with Window
-UV mapped window panes
-Adjusted Light Points
-Quick Fixed Name (oops)
-Added Chimney Smoke

Keywords:
Cottage, Tavern, House, Dwelling, Home, Medieval, Lordaeron, Town, Village, City, RPG
Contents

Cottage (Model)

Reviews
12:13, 20th Oct 2015 Misha: Nice :)

Em!

Em!

Level 24
I like it, rent is cheap, a few pesky ghoulish neighbors. Landlord is a werewolf though and tends to bite you. Could be the perfect house for a brothers grimm story setting "gonna eat your grandma, red!!" or of course something else but the window on the east side is ugly and ruins the mood.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Cute! Great job! The door looks a bit blurry in the preview, but I don't notice it in the viewer.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

cool stuff herrdave :)

+REP and 5/5

Level 64
hmm.. you really should fix that window a bit.. so it's having a border on all sides, also those logs you have sticking so much in the inside of the cabin, you could have them shorter and also halved, because it's only one side that is seen from the outside

I know what you mean about the window, I've got a bit of a creative idea as to how to remedy that.

My comprehension skills are on par with that of a drunken shrimp.
Here is what I interpreted (likely wrong)

-Reduce the length of the walls that poke into the building
-Make the logs strait and remove the point (?)
"Because its only the one side that is seen from the outside"
I know what you mean, but there is a reason for the logs being like that.
Each log in the cabin is a little thinner towards the middle to add a bit of cartoony design to it, so there are three segments to each log.
<Point - center - Point>

Because the points and a bit of the log extend past the backup wall (plank texture on a flat box) I had to keep the back of the logs so that people couldn't see through the exposed log at certain angles.

Behold - This is what happened while I was making it with only the outer side of the log visible.

Invisible%20Log.jpg

oke, let's look at the little end of the T-section of your cabin, which is the entrance. those logs there are good. then we get to the logs that line up the sides of that lill end. that are right behind those first logs. those logs look ok from the outside, but inside they stick a lot, that ain't seen and if some polys are not seen from the outside, it's better to snip them off

that lill closer pointer to what i meant? :xxd: my skills at pointing stuff are sometimes like that of a distracted carp :p

Level 64
Unless this is what you mean, you might have to give me a skype call and knock some sense into me. xD

Inside.jpg

They aren't unnecessary polygons, I took out the smaller middle section of the log for that section of the cottage. They do stick out a bit much though, I've since moved the back of the logs towards the door to reduce texture stretching and get it to not stick back into the house so much.

When I finish the new window, you'll see the changes and likely be credited for pointing out the flaws that slipped me.

Level 64
Aye, the main reason it is a doodad is as follows.

I don't know how to animate buildings, more specifically the construction/death animations. They are long and complicated, involving lots of triggers with smoke and the like.
I once sat down and power-learned how to add smoke effects for my WotR Nazgul model, but its been on the back-log for so long I've nearly forgotten everything about it.

Level 11
I like it, simple but useful. If you are planning to go more in to buildings may I suggest a Town Hall, the hive really needs a variation of Human Town Halls, I don't think having tiers is much of a necessity as at least to have one.
I'm sure hiveworkshop won't mind to have them, for inspiration may I suggest looking at Medieval Total War (2) town halls.