• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dwarven Knights

A Dwarven equivalent to the Knight, aswell as a Bandit Lord equivalent. Hopefully it isn't that bad, I'm still not that used to animating quadrupedal units.

Feel free to use and/or edit this model as much as you wish, so long as I get the credit I'm due.
I've added in additional Archmage and Death Knight animations, for anyone looking to edit this model; and to anyone that does, you have my permission to upload it.

Keywords:
Dwarf, Knight, Bear, Mount, Bandit, Alliance, Witty Keyword
Contents

Dwarven Knights (Model)

Dwarven Knights (Model)

Reviews
14:21, 6th Jul 2014 MiniMage: Same as the other ones.

M

14:21, 6th Jul 2014
MiniMage: Same as the other ones.

I'm not quite sure, but I think I may have scaled the Dwarf up a tiny bit too much. Not a problem, though; a few solutions would be:
Scaling the model itself down ingame
Scaling the Rider down by manipulating the Scaling option on the Dwarf helper
Or scaling the Mount up by manipulating the Scaling option on the Bear helper

Otherwise, if the size doesn't bother you, I'd say this would pass for a stockier human Knight, aswell.

Yeah, the walk animation was a pain; it actually would've been easier if it had actual legs. The little nubs and the war armor seemed like the better option when I first started on the model.

Oh, by the way, to anyone interested, if you want a Riderless version, I've seperated both the Rider and the Bear into different little sections; this should make it easier to remove the rider, or the mount.

Yeah, the walk animation was a pain; it actually would've been easier if it had actual legs. The little nubs and the war armor seemed like the better option when I first started on the model.

Oh, by the way, to anyone interested, if you want a Riderless version, I've seperated both the Rider and the Bear into different little sections; this should make it easier to remove the rider, or the mount.

You should upload that here in a post or try for it as a newly uploaded model

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Wow. Quite an... interesting addition to the mighty Dwarves. :p

Personally, I'm really not digging the Bear. Not the modelling of it, mind you; that's fine & kinda cool (weird to see warhorse armor on a bear, but whattayado? :p). No, the Bear is neat (though as you pointed out, perhaps avoid the dreaded 'nub-legs' next time :p). It's just strange to see a Dwarf on a Bear. Feels very "Communist Russia", rather than the "Scottish/Irish" feel that Wc3 Dwarves tend to.

That being said, awexome Dwarf model! I am always really impressed to see people try to make new faces for the classic races, since it's so needed (PROXY's Orc Marauder, jigrael's Python Warrioress, etc). So kudos! Favorite part is that sick beard on the Bandit Lord; the two-tone is nice.
Overall the mesh's proportions seems a lot better than your Court Mage; more stocky & Dwarvish. The head is ridiculously flat, though; definitely consider fixing that on your 4 models (since the 2 Dwarven Infantry-dudes appear pretty similar to the rider of the Knights).
The armor is plain, but simple is good for a unit... Speaking of which

[rainbow]THANK YOU[/rainbow]

For giving it Dissipate & Decay animations/geosets! You don't know how often I want one or the other... Going one way is easy, but I can't add Decay geosets & such! Criminy. Could use Hero Glow to round it out, I suppose.

Anwyay. Neat Axe, great & full complement of interesting animations... Very kind, considering the variety of uses something like this could be used in.

~~~

All in all, great stuff. I won't be using it (Dwarf + Bear = INTERNAL ERROR 404); but good job. :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hell. Dwarven hunters have bears for pets. Why not ride on them as well.

You people really need spend some skill points in imagination. And be open for new interpretations.
BECAUSE SINCE PICKLES.

No, but seriously. It's not (to me) a matter of 'lacking in imagination'. Like I said, I can totally see a Dwarf Bear-Rider in a sort of "communist russia"-sense/feel; that's just not the sense/feel that Blizzard decided to give to their Dwarves.

Perhaps I should clarify; my projects are always things that add or replace the regular in-game stuff. So to me, the only important thing is whether something "fits" in-game. Thus, as creative & well-made as (for example) UncleFester's "Troll Shark Rider" was, I didn't particularly care for it (note: didn't hate it, just didn't care for it). It's just not something I see happening with any regularity in the Warcraft universe.

Same here. Sure, a Dwarf could ride a Bear; heck, it'd make for a great story (Rexxar-esque, but with a Dwarf! :p) or a great custom game (really reminds me of Heroes of Might and Magic). But a lore-based reproduction of common Dwarf mounting tendencies? Eh, not so much in my opinion.

Again, this judgement of mine has little to do with the model itself (I take time to detail that stuff regardless of how the above pans out), but merely my personal desire for it & thoughts on it, in terms of Lore & such.

So yeah, Dwarves + Bears = Win! Just not for me personally. And I hope you don't fault me for trying to convince or persuade artists to designing things that I may more readily use. :p

I was going to put him on a Ram, but I decided a Bear would just be easier to do :p
Dude.

TOTALLY.

There are plenty of good Ram Riders out there, but I always believe in options. Probably wouldn't even be that hard; the animations could probably stay (add a "Ram" option, though xD), just merge him onto a miniaturized version of Malfurion's yak-mount-thingummy.

Or, or- and follow me on this; you know how the Orcs ride Kodos, considering them a representation of strength or something? Now imagine the Dwarves doing that, except without Kodos. What would they choose, as a symbol of raw strength? Probably a Bear. Then you drag them into the Alliance, drape them in heavy armor that would fit a strong beast like a Bear, plop a rider on its back, and suddenly you have a Bear-Riding equivalent to the Knight. Besides that, I'm having trouble seeing a Ram in horse armor; as far as I know they aren't as sturdy as some breeds of horses.

Anyway, I considered all the different mounts they could use, and thought that Dwarves, the fight-loving little mongrels, would want something big, scary and tough. I did consider a Ram mount before I started on the model, though.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Or, or- and follow me on this; you know how the Orcs ride Kodos, considering them a representation of strength or something? Now imagine the Dwarves doing that, except without Kodos. What would they choose, as a symbol of raw strength? Probably a Bear. Then you drag them into the Alliance, drape them in heavy armor that would fit a strong beast like a Bear, plop a rider on its back, and suddenly you have a Bear-Riding equivalent to the Knight. Besides that, I'm having trouble seeing a Ram in horse armor; as far as I know they aren't as sturdy as some breeds of horses.

Anyway, I considered all the different mounts they could use, and thought that Dwarves, the fight-loving little mongrels, would want something big, scary and tough. I did consider a Ram mount before I started on the model, though.
That's solid rationale, and I commend any & every artist who takes the time to actually put that kind of thought into what they do.