• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LongSword

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Near the end of November Hayate gave this to me along with the permission to upload, telling me to wrap the blade.

I also decided to make it low poly (downed 300 of them).

Credits to Hayate!

Keywords:
Long, Sword, Long Sword, Longsword, Hayate, Myth
Contents

LongSword (Model)

Reviews
22:13, 17th Apr 2015 MiniMage: There's many other models just like this model on the hive. We don't need more copies to the ones already here. Rejected for unoriginality.

M

22:13, 17th Apr 2015
MiniMage: There's many other models just like this model on the hive. We don't need more copies to the ones already here. Rejected for unoriginality.

Level 22
Looks better, but the blade doesn't look like a longsword, more like a rapier blade on a longsword hilt... Longpier.

It looks simple, as your models tend to, but there's nothing wrong with that; if every unit in the game used bulky, epic looking weapons, it would just look silly. On this weapon you've done a good job of making it look both functional and fine. It also has a good file size.

It does have its flaws, though.

The crest of the handle needs to be wrapped better. First, it's blurry, likely from having a practically microscopic portion of a texture wrapped to it. You should try to find a texture with something similar to its gem but larger so as to have better resolution when wrapped. It's also obvious that you didn't bother taking the time to properly wrap the rest of the area around the gem, as it's stretched and looks as though it's probably just whatever happened to be on that part of the texture. You should take the time to wrap every part of a model so that you don't have odd parts like that.

The crossguard also doesn't look very good, but that isn't really your fault; the crossguard in the source texture you used simply doesn't look very good. At the expense of adding a few extra polygons in order to wrap a better-looking metal texture into a similar shape, adding between 0.5 and 1 kb to the file size, you could make it look better, but that's a lot of work for a small difference so I'd understand if you didn't want to do this for a model that someone else asked you to fix and upload for them anyway.

With all of that in mind, I'm giving this a 3/5.