• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Runestone Shield

194769-albums6719-picture86170.png

The normal model is right handed version, the portrait is left handed.
194769-albums7341-picture85333.jpg

1.1 [10.07.2014] - Changed the Crystals' filters and layers, changed background behind them and added a particle emitter.
1.0 [08.07.2014] - Uploaded

Feel free to rotate and resize to suit your needs.
Enjoy and give credits if used!

Keywords:
Shield, Sheild, Buckler, Protector, Weapon, Crystal, Gem, Power Generator, Dalaran, Cityscape, Magic, Runes
Contents

Runestone Shield (Model)

Runestone Shield (Model)

Reviews
13:32, 22nd Jul 2014 MiniMage: Like the other models, approved. Fits with the crystal set pretty damn well. ;D

M

13:32, 22nd Jul 2014
MiniMage: Like the other models, approved. Fits with the crystal set pretty damn well. ;D

Maybe it would look better if I reduced the transparency of the main crystals and/or added a dark background behind them (Because the add alpha filter depends on the background of the object)?

EDIT: Is this better? I changed the background behind the main crystal and changed the filter to additive. I know it doesn't really fit with the rest of the runestone weaponry but I think it looks better than the current mess...
194769-albums6719-picture86153.png

Last edited:
Level 49
Maybe it would look better if I reduced the transparency of the main crystals and/or added a dark background behind them (Because the add alpha filter depends on the background of the object)?

EDIT: Is this better? I changed the background behind the main crystal and changed the filter to additive. I know it doesn't really fit with the rest of the runestone weaponry but I think it looks better than the current mess...
194769-albums6719-picture86153.png

that one looks better. i think you can make the crystals more opaque by making the first material layer's filter mode to "none" and just apply additive/ add alpha layers on it.

Following Grendel's brilliant advice, I added 2 layers of texture to the crystal, one with add alpha, and one with modulate (so the dark tones will be more intense and non-transparent). Here's the result. Maybe I should recolor it to look like the rest of the runestone set using geoset animations?
Also I should add another material for the rune, since the modulate filter doesn't remove the backgound...
194769-albums6719-picture86163.png

So, is this better?

EDIT: Here, added some tweaks and fixes and added a particle emitter.
194769-albums6719-picture86170.png
Will update shortly.

Last edited: