• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nerubian Archmage

After long hours of mesh-making, and shorter but much more intensive hours of animating I wanted to introduce Nerubian Archmage. Intelligence hero for Nerubians, that uses scrolls to cast powerful spells. I hope someone will find him useful ;-).

Both viewer and magos do not show spell animations correctly. They work in game ;-).

Edit1: Added Spell Channel animation, Spell animations are now 2 seconds long instead of 2.5
Edit2: some small mesh changes; completely remade stand, stand-2, attack, attack-2, spell channel, death, dissipate, stand ready animations; deleted spell throw animation; improved walk animation; added spell slam animation

Keywords:
mage, spider, egyptian, magic, scrolls, books, scroll, crypt, pharaon, priest, discipline, holy, shadow, wizard, warlock
Contents

Nerubian Archmage (Model)

Reviews
01:55, 10th Apr 2016 HappyCockroach: There's a lot of personality in this model, at the mesh and specially at the animations. The required fix is giving it a proper decay animation. At the moment it simply vanishes after the decay time. It should go...

M

01:55, 10th Apr 2016
HappyCockroach:
There's a lot of personality in this model, at the mesh and specially at the animations. The required fix is giving it a proper decay animation. At the moment it simply vanishes after the decay time. It should go down slowly, and a decay bone with a bone corpse would be nice, too. A few more issues you might want to fix as well:
- I'd complain it looks a bit too skinny to wc3. Giving it a bit stronger build could help making its cool texture details perceivable.
- There are some seams at the texture, for instance when the legs meet the belly. Those aren't desirable. Try to make ends meet at your textures.
- You could also make your animations better by avoiding the keyframes being perceived so clearly. That's common in linear anims, but avoided in the best of the linear anims. Making the keyframes on different bones don't always meet is a good way to achieve that.
It's a great idea, and of good use. Draws my attention how many awesome details you add, even those that aren't flawlessly executed. Waiting on your updates.

12:08, 28th May 2016
HappyCockroach: Nice update. Even if adding decay animations make your model more versatile, it is a hero, and it can do fine without them. Overall this is a very polished model, and surely useful. Approved.

Level 11
This looks great and it being only 115 KB's is even better, though I must say that the animations are a bit poor the Attack animation seems so weak like he is barely moving his "hands", and also the Spell and Spell "throw" should be a bit more unique, maybe replace the spell "throw" with a channeling spell where he just holds his "Papirus". This is one of the models that I would just put it in a map just because. Really hope you can do something about it.

Level 21
For some reason my computer doesn't like this model.
Says something like "This may be harmful to your computer"

Level 11
This model could benefit greatly from better and more suitable animations, as it is now I find the Attack and Spell Throw a bit lame, (Maybe switch the colours of the letters) even the "Stand-2" animation seems to be the first stand anim except with more head bobbing maybe add a "default" looking animation where he just looks left and right (Ideally, he could bring a Papirus and look at it as a "Lost Man" looks at a map)
I would seriously opt for different or improved Attack Animations, give him some more darn personality.
The Spell Channel animation Papirus letter doesn't look that good and it isn't centered (from what I've seen in the Viewer) and also there seems to be a bit more transparent.
Even in this state it can be approved but hopefully you will try to improve it as I think it deserves it, it's just well made nothing more to say.

EDIT: Personally I think the mesh itself is fine (It's not skinny. Even if it were skinny it's a darn spider) the only problem I see is in the Animations.
Yes the mesh may have a few issues but they aren't noticeable in game, the animations are though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Please make a regular unit version of this model, you know with normal decay animations, the Nerubian would like it soooo much.

Level 20
I've completely redone stand animations, and now I'm working on Spell Throw anim (he uses both hands to throw a magical energy, correct hand coordination is a little bit tricky to make but nothing is impossible). I'm gonna make new attack animations (similar to the existing, but with more energy) and new death animation (this one will be the hardest to make).

Level 11
This looks better, way better.
It's approvable though there is room for improvements, the attack animation still seems "robotic", and while the whole model looks a bit stiff (also the death animation could be slightly improved).
While it may seem like i'm nitpicking it's only because I want this model to be in the highest possible quality as I think it deserves it, It's truly great and can't stop admiring it.

The improvements are good and are headed in the right direction. With more effort I would say you will make a great model.

Last edited: