• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

M1A2 Abrams

M1A2AbramsSide.png

HQ Custom M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank

Made a new Abrams tank to test out the NeoDex plugins.
Might as well submit it, right?

Credits must be given when utilizing the model.
You're not allowed to redistribute this model anywhere.
You can modify the model and its textures for personal use only.

Tools used:
3ds Max 2012/2014
Photoshop CC
NeoDex 2.6
BLP Laboratory
War3 File Converter
MDX/M3 Optimizer

Recommended unit settings:
Art - Animation - Blend Time: 0.00
Art - Death Time: 4.00
Combat - Death Type: Can't raise, Does decay

Keywords:
M1, M1A2, Abrams, Main, Battle, Tank, War, Army
Contents

M1A2 Abrams (Model)

Reviews
21:07, 30th Sep 2014 MiniMage: The filesize is still pretty large, but efforts were made to cut it down as much as possible, so I got no reason to complain. The animations are smooth and the mesh is well made. The death animation is beautiful. Approved.

M

21:07, 30th Sep 2014
MiniMage: The filesize is still pretty large, but efforts were made to cut it down as much as possible, so I got no reason to complain. The animations are smooth and the mesh is well made. The death animation is beautiful. Approved.

I'd probably approve this if he could shave off a few kilobytes. At least getting it down to 300-400
I would assume that the textures is what takes the most of the filesize anyhow. So it should probably be a possibility.

Optimizing the model itself might also lower the filesize somewhat.
I've shaved off 70KB. I'm not willing to go any lower due to degradation in visual quality.
Also, is high texture quality even a valid reason for rejection?

Seems legit.
Totally.

AAWWWW YEEAAAHHH!! The legend is BACK!

Your animation skills have really developed since the last tank. I like how you have incorporated a lot of motion into it, looks like a professional job.

About the death anim though, is it physics generated or hand made?

EDIT: On a technical note, you have two instances of the track texture, which is a bit redundant. The reason the exporter does this is because one of them is set to wrap width and height (tiling) while the other is not. This is something you could fix.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I haven't checked this in-game but looking at your custom skins of this model, you added a shading effect underneath the head, and that is a nice and realistic addition. But you know what? In most of tank-war maps, modders are mostly will rotate tank's head (locking the head's bone to other directions), you know it's to aim for targets. In that case, the shadow will stay at the body part which makes it looks weird.

This is just one possible solution:
Use a plane that is merged with head's bone for the shading, so the shadow will follow where the head's rotated. But now there is another problem, the shadow can floats in the air in some certain cases :p

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
No. Warcraft 3 does not natively support independently moving turrets and I'm not modifying the texture to comply with some arbitrary system.

It does natively support partial-body facing:
  • Animation - Lock (unit)'s (bone part) to face (other unit), offset by (0.00, 0.00, 90.00)
JASS:
call SetUnitLookAt( unit, @"bone_head"@, other_unit, 0, 0, 90 )

Except if this model does not support that feature, then the shading is totally okay