• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ironclad

This request has finally been filled, albeit with a bit of a blurred wrap on the side, still figuring out how to iron that out.

I hope the file-size will make up for the time it took to finally get around to this.

Changes
-Added Camera
-Added Attack Animation
-Updated Side-Wrap
-Added Iron Braces
-Moved Signal Pole
-Updated Picture (for some reason, it is not updating)
-Fixed Attack Animation loop
-Added Flash and Smoke to attack animation
-Added Attack Sound
-Bored holes in guns

Keywords:
Ironclad, Ship, Steam, WWI, Civil, War, Wrath, Of, The, Kaiser, WotK, Sea, Frigate, Warship, Battleship
Contents

Ironclad (Model)

Reviews
14:36, 18th Oct 2015 Misha: lovely, but add the cannon fire effect and sound to the cannon firing :P also give the cannon barrels some sort of a hole-texture looks nice, performs well, but i feel it could use more improvements.. feel free to...

M

14:36, 18th Oct 2015
Misha: lovely, but add the cannon fire effect and sound to the cannon firing :p also give the cannon barrels some sort of a hole-texture

looks nice, performs well, but i feel it could use more improvements.. feel free to tinker on it, beyond me approving it :p

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Considering the file size this is just plain awesome.

Level 5
I remember making this request awhile back and by gosh...the OP delivered!

Definitely going to test this as soon as I can.

I am sure you will update more as you go.

Your collection really is coming along.

Believe me, I know :goblin_cry:

Currently thinking on how to improve the team-color bits and the side-wrap, any ideas gentlemen?

for starters I think you should increase the number of rivets visible, the round shape on that texture.

THE WAY I used to use that texture such as here:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/183403-albums6929-picture98233.jpg

is to use polys to efficiently spread out rivets. you can achieve alot more texture space with your ships hull.

for example, why are the sides just 1 piece of metal? with double the polys you could add 4 times the rivets similarly to my trucks bars.

I think its team colors fine, but if you wanted ''more'' you could use some team color shingles from some wc3 buildings on one piece of roof, and another buildings team color shingles on another, to make it look more junky. could also add a team color flag that blows in the wind.

I think the cannons for having 6 poly sided shapes could have had more effort put into them uv wrap wise but I know this is built to be low file size so I under stand,

ill give it a 6/10 could be a 7 or 8 with nicer looking cannons and side hull texture wrap renovation and maybe some more animations like spell first spell second or something, where all the cannons recoil like the forward cannon during attack. :vw_wtf:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Herr Dave said:
Currently thinking on how to improve the team-color bits and the side-wrap, any ideas gentlemen?
Maybe try to split the sides into two parts each, using the same texture, but separately for each part ?
It would increase the file size, but I guess it does not matter that much, considering the current file size.

Level 7
I set out making it with a fuzzy memory of what the ironclads looked like in Civilization 5, this is what my mind conjured.

It definitely looks like it would fit in during their period of existence, although, I think it needs a couple of masts though, one behind the front Turret, and one in front of the Boiler Stack, I don't think they need to be rigged either.

Level 7
I finally got around to testing the model today and I noticed something funny about the attack animation, It doesn't stop. When I initially tested the attack animation in the world editor, the delay between attacks was 3.00, The gun just kept recoiling until I got it to stop attacking. I believe the way to rectify this would be to add a 'stand ready' animation.

I finally got around to testing the model today and I noticed something funny about the attack animation, It doesn't stop. When I initially tested the attack animation in the world editor, the delay between attacks was 3.00, The gun just kept recoiling until I got it to stop attacking. I believe the way to rectify this would be to add a 'stand ready' animation.

Oh piss and chips, my bad. One moment!

A common bug, simply open the model in magos, find the animation sequence called ''Attack'' and uncheck the check box that says ''looping'' this should fix this error, the repeating animation is so things like stand channel and spell channel continue to work as directed when used with ability's in game such as the infamous ''channel'' or the over used ''blade storm'' its also default checked in magos when you ''create new sequence'' because for what ever reason every model iv ever made my flowers and bombs included at one time or other had the looping animation check box checked when ever I created new animations in magos or MDLvis editor from scratch. very annoying. but easy to fix.

Stand Ready, as far as iv been able to tell, is only used when you select a unit, if its different from stand then you'll notice them perk up a bit, but if given no new orders they go back to stand, an example of this is footman, mortar teams, Murlocs, or archers, the way when you drag-select them they perk up a moment before going back to stands. another use I think is for some buildings/wards when they have a turret bone in the model and the turret is done attacking so it re-faces forwards (what ever direction its facing at birth) stand readys are never a bad idea to include in most things. but their purpose beyond these ones iv mentioned elude me.

Update: Iv seen your changes, they are pleasing. the side panels have more detail and it looks better 7/10

Although this is kinda cool by itself, i have to say that as a naval warfare enthusiast, i was expecting a bit more from a WW1 dreadnought model. This feels too much like a reskinned Orc Dreadnought, and i think that you could have realized your cartoony concept in much better ways. For instance, i would have loved a proper (oversized) turret. The Borodino Battleship would make a great concept for a cool, "metal slug-style" dreadnaught:

5599_1.jpg

note: the Borodino was technically not a dreadnaught

Level 65
That looks like a good idea for which to turn this into, but I don't know how to add flash effects to cannons, and so the other turrets would be-- duds really :[

I think I will relocate the turret on the iron-clad and add another smoke stack, maybe more masts etc.

I've been working on train cars and re-working the existing tanks, here is a screenshot of the A7V

A7V%20v2.jpg