• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gnome Castle

A town hall for Gnome with 3 Tiers. Please set the size to 0.6 in the game.
And we need a Gnome section for the races.

My idea was that the peasants that's in charge of gold and lumber would be mech, and they can't build stuffs, while the actual gnomes would be in charge of building stuffs but they can't grab gold and lumber, which I made this based on that idea. Since the town hall train 'peasants', Gnome peasants would need a robot factory to build.

Update 1: Added TC Portrait background.
Update 2: Changed the texture for the gate.
Update 3: Trying to make it more town hall-ish by adding some 'living quarters' i guess.

Keywords:
Gnome, Steampunk
Contents

Gnome Castle (Model)

Reviews
13:52, 22nd Jul 2014 MiniMage: It's a good looking model. Feel free to work on it more even though it's approved though. ;D

M

13:52, 22nd Jul 2014
MiniMage: It's a good looking model. Feel free to work on it more even though it's approved though. ;D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I'll be honest... I'm not that much into Gnomes. This could use a lot of work, but since we have nothing (I think this is literally the first Gnomish building I've seen, much less Town Hall), kudos for breaking new ground.

In my mind, the biggest issues are 1) overuse of Steam Tank textures, 2) "not epic/town-hall-ish enough", and 3) "not particularly like a building". 2 & 3 are kinda related (and can be helped by changing 1); this could really look more like an actual building, then be all the crazy Gnomish contraption stuff (which, by the way, I love :p). Take a look at the (also only existing) Goblin Town Hall; it's primarily a building with the additional Goblin-ish touches (granted, it's not that ideal either, but again it's all we have. Actually, on second thought it might fit well for Gnomes too...).

Not exactly sure how best to proceed or offer advice... But yeah. (If it's a "factory" for "Gnomish MechaPeasants", where's the opening? The conveyor belt? The robo-arms? Maybe you can redesign it to look like a Red Alert "War Factory", sorta... Workshop as base, but rotated & manipulated?)

Level 20
Well reason I'm using a lot of steam engine texture because of the Brass metal thing. Steampunk tends to be brass, which is why I'm using that thing.

Unless, of course, might you have a suggestion for this Brass metal thing? Because I'm unsure of other stuffs except that texture lol
But hmmm...I do have an idea now, and it involves pipes :D

Nope, the pipes didn't work.

But I did changed the texture for the gates now. It just didn't seem obvious I guess.

Last edited:
Level 16
I have to agree with Kyrbi0 on this one, although this is fresh for THW, this could more efficiently be used as some kind of 'laboratory' or 'research' rather than a town hall.
But other than what you meant it to be, it looks really awesome as a tech building. So I'll be judging a 4/5 due to the textures being obviously overused, otherwise with an update on the textures, this deserves a well 5/5.
Also, I think you could go for darker textures as well, gnomes are know for their contraptions but not necessarily made of shiny gold.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well, I guess my suggestion is to 'pull back' a little bit on the Steampunk/Brass metal. I suppose things like this are open to interpretation, but generally Steampunk is how things are 'modified', not 'made' or 'consisting of entirely'.

I would suggest coming up with a more 'normal', "building-type" mesh (y'know, wood/steel/stone constructions primarily), and tweak it to be more Gnomish (not just flat gears & thin arms, but perhaps big twisty pipes or furnaces & smokestacks &... (looking up Gnome architecture on Google)... Y'know, I can barely find anything on Gnomish architecture. I'm getting the feeling that they really don't do a lot in terms of buildings. I guess that's why they're always paired with other races (esp. Dwarves), who can focus on building the buildings while the Gnomes work on the techno-gizmos & such...

Well anyway, if you're dead-set on making Gnome buildings anyway, consider starting with a base mesh that is a combination of a couple existing pieces, liiiiiike take 3 towers from the Barracks and replace the 'center-section' with the Workshop. ooooooorrrrrr a rewrapped Spirit Lodge sitting on top of the Human Racial Shop (ANTI-GRAVITY BUILDING). Take a look at this and this for good examples.
When re-wrapping, take a look at alternate textures, and use the Steam Tank/Brass stuff for parts of it.

Good luck!

Level 24
Well reason I'm using a lot of steam engine texture because of the Brass metal thing. Steampunk tends to be brass, which is why I'm using that thing.

Unless, of course, might you have a suggestion for this Brass metal thing? Because I'm unsure of other stuffs except that texture lol
But hmmm...I do have an idea now, and it involves pipes :D

Nope, the pipes didn't work.

But I did changed the texture for the gates now. It just didn't seem obvious I guess.

Yes, Steampunks do use these for their buildings, but I'm not quite sure this is a Town Hall, just like knight36 said, its more like a Laboratory or reactor I think,
but its creative enough, 4/5

Level 20
Wouldn't it actually make sense to look like a laboratory? Cause that's what they live for.
According to lore anyway, they tend to live together with other races, so if they were to ever build their own town hall i think it would resemble a laboratory more because that's all they've been building - more and more labs for building stuffs.

Level 10
We should have a Gnome section, there are certainly enough models and this great model you've made here would be a great addition.

Level 16
Wouldn't it actually make sense to look like a laboratory? Cause that's what they live for.
According to lore anyway, they tend to live together with other races, so if they were to ever build their own town hall i think it would resemble a laboratory more because that's all they've been building - more and more labs for building stuffs.
As I said, for what it looks like, it looks great. But the whole idea of them having a town hall is new, which means it takes some getting used to. Oh and together with that worker contraption you uploaded, it does make sense.
In fact, gnomes really are an undiscovered area of Warcraft, I suppose because people, including me, always think of them the same as dwarves, or better yet, as their 'technicians', and that's not too far from the truth, since even Blizzard didn't bother to give them a proper lore. According to wowpedia.
So yeah, what you're saying is true, it makes perfect sense for them to be 'tech' oriented. Maybe as a stand alone custom-race they'd not really put much of a fight.

Level 20
As I said, for what it looks like, it looks great. But the whole idea of them having a town hall is new, which means it takes some getting used to. Oh and together with that worker contraption you uploaded, it does make sense.
In fact, gnomes really are an undiscovered area of Warcraft, I suppose because people, including me, always think of them the same as dwarves, or better yet, as their 'technicians', and that's not too far from the truth, since even Blizzard didn't bother to give them a proper lore. According to wowpedia.
So yeah, what you're saying is true, it makes perfect sense for them to be 'tech' oriented. Maybe as a stand alone custom-race they'd not really put much of a fight.

They'd blast your face off with a lot of firepower though. Since lore-wise, it is the gnomes who invented gunpowder and the flying machine for the humans and the techs and stuffs. But yeah, that's basically the idea I was going fer.