• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gnoll Workers

Basic worker, and special black version, possibly useable as a 'raider' or 'thief' type worker.

Feel free to use and/or edit these models, so long as you credit me for my work.

EDIT:
Increased texture contrast.
EDIT:
Changed texture, fixed animation details.

Keywords:
Gnoll, Wolf, Creep, Critter, Silverpaw, Tribe, Worker, Peon, Peasant, Acolyte, Drudge, Dreg, Slave, Builder
Contents

Gnoll Workers (Model)

Gnoll Workers (Model)

Reviews
15:53, 3rd Apr 2016 HappyTauren: There's definitely room for improvement regarding the texture and some animations, but since you've decided you won't work more on them, I will just go on and approve this, since it is a quality resource nonetheless...

M

15:53, 3rd Apr 2016
HappyTauren: There's definitely room for improvement regarding the texture and some animations, but since you've decided you won't work more on them, I will just go on and approve this, since it is a quality resource nonetheless. The wood clipping with face isn't too noticeable in the game, and some wc3 models have this issue as well anyway.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This one came first, so I'll leave my joint comments here... While it's an interesting model & I'm glad to see someone fleshing out Gnolls, more than perhaps any other submission these would not fit in-game. The textures are simply too flat & broad, & the definitions/proportionsn are waaay different.

For your own purposes/style, it's probably just fine (though the textures still seem too... stark?). For in-game, it's in need of a lot.

I wonder why it is that the "dog-men" of Azeroth are the feral ones?

Level 10
I wonder why it is that the "dog-men" of Azeroth are the feral ones?

Well, Hyenas are known for being little bastards. ...and hyenas aren't technically dogs.

As for the model though, it's nicely done, I love it. ...Aside from it being exceedingly different to anything ingame. I may check out animations later if I remember.

Last edited:
Level 34
All the Gnoll models you just posted have pretty charismatic facial and body features but this texture just won't do. My first idea was that you've managed to make it with wc3 textures, but if it's a custom texture there is definitely a problem. Imagine this among wc3 models or at very least your other models, this won't look good because of the lack of shading and fur details. Good call you made it with one shared texture, might be easier to fix the issue.

Look at this.
Now, look at this.
Finally, look at this. If you'll look, the only bits of noticeable, ragged fur are the mane and tail. Possibly a tuft of fur on the chin. Every other bit of fur is rather fine.

I decided not to go for details that fine, because, one, to do so in any meaningful way, I would either need to increase the texture size to 512x512, or put in pitifully miniscule details that would be outright unnoticeable ingame. I've checked my models from the distance and angle of Warcraft, and due to the distinct, noticeable differences in color, my models seemed to fit nicely.

Their 'lack' of definition made them slightly more pleasing at cinematic angles, and still left them easily identifiable from the ingame angle.

I'm considering the criticisms, and so far, but increasing contrast is simply not helping.

What.

I guess I'll have to explain this. I wanted to keep the texture separate. Make it so it WOULDN'T clog up the filesize of each individual download, and make it so you'd only have to download it once. I couldn't. So, because of that, each download is larger than it has to be.

And to be clear, I combined three 128x128 textures, taking up the same amount of space as the texture for the Peon, Peasant, Footman, and nearly every other ingame unit. If you want more detail, make individual textures for each one, OR make a larger, 512x512 version of the shared texture.

I'm not trying to be aggressive or mean, but the overwhelming majority of complaints I get are about the most basic, most obviously simple things. If someone else can do a better job with the texture file than I did, go ahead, I'll give them credit and use that instead.

I've got nothing more to say about the texture or filesize, and refuse to address anything more on those topics.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
What. ...
I'm not sure why anyone doesn't understand the whole "deceptively-large filesize" issue. That's no problem for me; I'm glad you were able to make it work with one shared texture. My biggest issue is how poorly I feel they will fit next to regular, in-game Gnolls; even a quick Google Image search re-confirms my notion that the regular Gnolls are a lot... messier (texture-wise). Smaller-limbed, as well.

Still, just my thoughts.

I like your gnolls. They have spirit, and the mesh is nicely executed.

The texture isn't bad, it's just more direfurish than warcraftish. If you made your own game it, with consistent style, all your models would do nicely. But for wc3 it does stand out as a different pattern. (you should consider doing collaborative models with good (and wc3ish) texturers from thw, that would probably put out DC models :p ...or using in-game textures, really..)

The wc3 style is: mesh gives structure, texture gives detail and even helps defining the shape.
And yours is: mesh gives structure and details, and the texture gives color. (with some exceptions)

Your animation style is a bit different than the warcraftish too, but it does work better than most custom anims we see around.

Apart from those issues, I do believe thw shall be grateful for your gnoll pack and they will appear in many maps around. The commenters are generally more picky than the actual users of the resources :p

Level 34
I like your gnolls. They have spirit, and the mesh is nicely executed.

The texture isn't bad, it's just more direfurish than warcraftish. If you made your own game it, with consistent style, all your models would do nicely. But for wc3 it does stand out as a different pattern. (you should consider doing collaborative models with good (and wc3ish) texturers from thw, that would probably put out DC models :p ...or using in-game textures, really..)

The wc3 style is: mesh gives structure, texture gives detail and even helps defining the shape.
And yours is: mesh gives structure and details, and the texture gives color. (with some exceptions)

Your animation style is a bit different than the warcraftish too, but it does work better than most custom anims we see around.

Apart from those issues, I do believe thw shall be grateful for your gnoll pack and they will appear in many maps around. The commenters are generally more picky than the actual users of the resources :p

Totally agree :thumbs_up:, btw, can you make a worgen version from these units? *-* *-* *-*

N41

N41

Level 7
These are nicely made Gnolls. Different from default wc3 Gnolls (In positive way). They have their own style!

What.

I guess I'll have to explain this. I wanted to keep the texture separate. Make it so it WOULDN'T clog up the filesize of each individual download, and make it so you'd only have to download it once. I couldn't. So, because of that, each download is larger than it has to be.
You can put all your Gnoll models in one pack with the shared skin or zip it and put it in pastebin or somewhere..

If someone else can do a better job with the texture file than I did, go ahead, I'll give them credit and use that instead.
Optimisation hardly saves any KB's so what you have done is best you can..

On side note:
You might like to fix this
attachment.php

Attachments

• kilo.jpg
    kilo.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,117
  • Direfury_GnollShared_optimised.blp
    188.4 KB · Views: 213

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

just checked the unwrap on the textures, it is pretty detailed IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
I appreciate it that you made a full set of gnoll units.It makes it so easy to make a gnoll themed map or just add a fully functional gnoll faction to a map