• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Footman Cavalry

Hello all! I've back from a while away bearing a new model!

This model is based off of my Alliance Cavalry model. I've used player feedback to alter it into a replacement for the human knight as requested by several users. I've managed to bring back some things that previously had to be removed because of the poly count size (notice the plume :p) and added armour to the crummy-looking horse.

You'll notice that it has no weapon. I decided to leave it this way so that people could add their own weapons via the "hand, left" attachment.

Let me know if you find any problems with it.

[Update]: I've fixed the dissipate animation issue. His chest will no longer disappear during the animation.

[Update #2]: The model was crashing games, because of a mistake I made with the Geoset Animations. It seems to be working fine now and I gave it Decay Flesh and Bone animations instead of Dissipate.

[Update #3]: Improved the wrap around the horse's head, back legs, and tail. Tried to make his legs look a little better. Added a stomach to him, and made his plume team-coloured. Removed the spikes and canged the horse's helmet's horns.

[Final Update]: The horse's head is no longer hollow.

Keywords:
Human, Knight, Mount, Mounted, Footman, Cavalry, Warrior, Fighter
Contents

Footman Cavalry (Model)

Reviews
19:58, 20th Jun 2009 Pyritie: Unwrap is kinda messy in places, such as on the tail or helmet. Also, why is the horse hollow? You could also shave off some polies on those spikes on its back. Also, why are the back of its legs black? You should also...

M

19:58, 20th Jun 2009
Pyritie: Unwrap is kinda messy in places, such as on the tail or helmet. Also, why is the horse hollow? You could also shave off some polies on those spikes on its back. Also, why are the back of its legs black? You should also fix the normals on the bit hanging down in the front below the horse's neck.

2nd Jul 2009
Pyritie: MUCH better. However you forgot the bit underneath the head though. Might want to add something there.

13th Aug 2009
Pyritie: Changes made, resource approved :D

Level 14
Wow this model is very impressive, the animations are really smooth and nice.

But he has no shoes, i looked at it in the magos editor...Its not a big thing, its more a little detail, thats missing ^^

Oh and, is there an attachment point at the hand? I mean, he attacks without any weapon, so there should be an attachment point to give him at least a little sword.

Level 12
Emm-a-: It has an attachment for adding weapons. "Hand, Left". If you want to add an effect to the attached weapon, use "Weapon" As for the feet, have you looked at Blizzards mounted units? None of them have feet either :p. Thought I'd keep this guy consistent and save myself some polies hehe.

Cockroach: Can you explain the bug please?

Also forgot to mention the tools I used. As usual a special thanks to the makers of Oinkerwinkle's Tools and Magos' Model Editor. I still ended up doing all animation changes through Notepad (I really need some tools! -_-).

Last edited:
Level 26
:/ this model is odd. I like the design and overall, it looks good. But (as mentioned above) he has no shoes, he has no eyes, he doesnt have a sword and part of his body disappears during the dissipate animation while some parts of his body are still visible. Overall, this model seems very unfinished to me, (like someone stopped making it before they finished) a 2/5 Lacking from me, because it does seem to be "lacking" some things

but most of it seems easy to fix, so it should be approvable in no time

Level 12
As mentioned above, the feet and weapon were left out on purpose. I decided to let people attach weapons to the "Left, Hand" attachment. That way, you could make him use a spear, sword, halberd, axe, whatever you want...or if you feel like giving him upgrades you could make his weapon change each time the user does a certain upgrade for him.
The feet were left out because they are unnecessary polies. It's hard to notice the lack of feet in game and if you take a look at Blizzard's in-game mounted units, many of them lack feet too.

I'm fixing the dissipate thing now and updating it later today. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even notice it until you guys pointed it out o_O.

[Edit]: Just updated the model. I hope a mod takes a look at this soon, it's been 3 and a half days now :S.

Last edited:
Level 6
This looks as a nice and very useful model :) The missing feet is hard to see in-game yes and the weapon isnt there on purpose which i think is good because i like to give units weapons i choose myself :)

Level 10
I'm going to give this a 5/5 rating if you do these changes:

-Moar team colour.
-Add hero glow or remove dissipate animation. That's pretty dumb, I seen this on models of the most renowned modellers and I would never use a model with such a big flaw. At least for me.
-His feets aren't a real problem, but if you could add them, it would be more nice.

Leave him weaponless, that gives a great chance of personalization :)
Good job anyway, fix these things and that's going to get a full 5/5.

Level 3
Nice model, I cant find anything wrong about it exept for the horse is kind of bad...
and leeroy "if you add hero glow" you can get the hero glow attachment.

Level 2
Hmm... I do agree, Leeroy. With the leaving him weaponless. But yes his feet are missing boots. Give him that and he will be good to go. 3/5 until you fix the boots.

Level 4
Man, this model don't work and fucked my map! I've recovered it thanks to the we unlimited : /
But is very nice! Can you devolp a working version plz?
Ah and for last, can you devolp a version with sword please? Thanks

Level 6
I dont see why people keep telling you to add weapons... Its better without it as you can just do it youself and add whatever weapon you would like instead of a premade one :p

Level 6
This is just what I want, an alternative to the Knight.

-Add hero glow or remove dissipate animation. That's pretty dumb, I seen this on models of the most renowned modellers and I would never use a model with such a big flaw. At least for me.

Please don't do this, or if you do, make it a separate a submission. This model would make such a great unit, but all good units don't need to be heroes too :(

Besides, you can add your own hero glows using attachments (it's easy).

Level 4
The model looks good from the screenshot, but I wasn't able to test it out due to a strange bug. When I imported the model and went to apply it to a unit, I rolled over the model and it crashed WorldEdit. This happened about seven more times. I even reimported it once and tried it about three more times, but it crashed the game every time.

Level 4
See? He have the same problem! All say "Nice model!" or "Good 5/5!" but they don't try it, they only see it and say that it is a good model : /

Last edited:
Level 3
See? He have the same problem! All say "Nice model!" or "Good 5/5!" but they don't try it, they only see it and say that it is a good model : /
Yes, thats a good point. I tried this in the editor, when I tried to change the model file of my unit it crashed ;*(
but, It doesnt follow my tastes. 1/5, mainly because I cant look at it ><
:thumbs_down:

Level 4
Alright, now that I have been able to test it out, I can see that it is actually a good model.

4.6/5, because I think the portrait could be better.

Level 12
I think you should actually give him a weapon, people can shrink them and put new ones on if they wanted. and a lot don't know how. Why not give it a edited version of the raiders sword, only make it more straight and look like a long sword. Then on the other hand put a shield.

Or at least you could make a separate version like this.

Level 6
The hoars armor needs to show ears. looks wierd withouut them. change the shoulder pads to have team color. 4/5 for know