• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wrap up Model with ingame Texture s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, can anyone teach me how to wrap model up with ingame Textures. I don't know what's the best software to do it. I'm thinking MDlvis but i don't know the method.

There are many software you can use for this purpose: Vertex Modifier, Gmax, 3dsmax, Matrix Eater or MDLVis.

The thing is the general method:
First you detach the geosets that you want to have different in-game textures. Afterwards you assign each of those geosets a material that links to the in-game texture you want for it. Finaly you reunwrap that specific geoset using one of the tools mentioned above.

My personal favorite would be 3ds max/gmax for clean unwraps reprojected unwraps, but if you don't know any of those, the best you could do is use mdlVis's UV Edit module.

The only problem with MDLVis and Vertex Modifier is that you cannot reproject or reseam an unwrap, but they'll do quite well.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
^That's very helpful, thanks. I've been wondering the same for a while.

Are there any 'step-by-step' tutorials for something like MDLVis (I'd ask MatrixEater, but Retera is still working on all the documentation)? I get the general method, but I'm unsure as to how to continue in the specific program. :<

Of course, I c/should probably go looking around myself.

^That's very helpful, thanks. I've been wondering the same for a while.

Are there any 'step-by-step' tutorials for something like MDLVis (I'd ask MatrixEater, but Retera is still working on all the documentation)? I get the general method, but I'm unsure as to how to continue in the specific program. :<

Of course, I c/should probably go looking around myself.

I no longer use any mdl editing tools and do everything through max so I couldn't say much other than the good old 2006 MDL editing techniques.

With vertex modifier, what one used to do was copy a geoset and then delete one part in the original geoset and delete the other part on the copy, thus splitting the geoset. Afterwards, I just reassigned materials using magos and added texture paths using mdl directly editing.

Level 22
Here are some tips for Mdlvis:

- to split geosets, you have a dedicated button named "detach as new geoset" (looks like a green ball). Just select some vertices of a geoset and click on it.

- to move vertices from one geoset to another, just copy/paste. Strangely Mdlvis will paste with a Z offset of 5, so you will have to move copied vertices by 5 after pasting (select "move" tool and add or substract 5 manually to the Z coordinate). Then delete vertices from the original geoset. As far as i know it's not possible to delete a whole geoset in Mdlvis so i use Magos for that.

- to assign materials to geosets, i use Magos.

- to rewrap in Mdlvis, just select the vertices and move them in the UVmap editor. If you need to redo it completely, you can use projection: select vertices and align the camera to match your texture, then go to UVmap, select vertices and click "project". Mirror tools can also be useful.

- texture seams in Warcraft 3 are made by duplicate vertices. In Mdlvis, to know if there is a seam on a specific vertex, select it with a selection box: if the "weld" button is active, then you have a seam (clicking weld would remove this seam). To select easily only one side of the seam, click on the faces instead of the vertices.

Status
Not open for further replies.