• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 11
I'm so excited to see Turalyon in action while he's wielding Lothar's broken sword in one hand and his warhammer in the other.

Unfortunately, it won't work well in-game because of attack sounds( A hammer with a slice sound will work just as bad as a sword with a bash one
To my knowledge, Turalyon picks up Lothar's sword and shield (that's what wowwiki and wowpedia say for example). The issue ComradeMaper raised wouldn't occur, you'd just have to use two units, one with a mace, one with a sword. I'm not aware of any retconned modification though, and I didn't read the Tides of Darkness novel, so the shield might have been removed.
(I'm quite stuck in the past actually, I'm sticking mostly to the first three games lore, and I only read Day of the Dragon, Lord of the Clans and The Last Guardian, which I think are quite badly written and take too much liberty about the lore, but that's just my opinion)
Whatever it be, it's all up to Tauer's decision :csmile:

Btw, is the Tides of Darkness novel good? ToD timeline is my favourite part of the lore, but I'm very reluctant to read it, since I was disappointed with the three novels I read. Any piece of advice?

Level 39
Man, that head!
I will always admire the way you make your models, especially heads. :(

I actually tried something new for the head this time. I used Zbrush (a sculpting software) to sculpt a high poly head first and then I retopologized it in 3Ds Max. Basically it means that you have a high poly model and then you kinda of "build" a lower poly model on top of that. It makes it easier to get the correct shape, because I can use my Wacom tablet to sculpt the model in Zbrush first. It's a bit more intuitive than modeling in 3Ds Max. Here's what the high poly version looked like originally:
Highpoly.jpg

Of course I had to to a little tweaking to the low poly version afterwards to get the correct silhouette, but it's a pretty interesting approach. I might do the same for all my future models.

Unfortunately, it won't work well in-game because of attack sounds( A hammer with a slice sound will work just as bad as a sword with a bash one

Didn't even think of that, but eh. People can sacrifice a bit of immersion for lore-correctness in this case.

To my knowledge, Turalyon picks up Lothar's sword and shield (that's what wowwiki and wowpedia say for example). The issue ComradeMaper raised wouldn't occur, you'd just have to use two units, one with a mace, one with a sword. I'm not aware of any retconned modification though, and I didn't read the Tides of Darkness novel, so the shield might have been removed.
(I'm quite stuck in the past actually, I'm sticking mostly to the first three games lore, and I only read Day of the Dragon, Lord of the Clans and The Last Guardian, which I think are quite badly written and take too much liberty about the lore, but that's just my opinion)
Whatever it be, it's all up to Tauer's decision :csmile:

Not sure about the wikis (there are no citations on those parts), but he's described pretty directly as dual wielding Lothar's sword and his hammer in the ToD novel. Unless him picking up the shield and weapon is described in one of the manuals (it very well might be, I don't remember to be honest) I'd say that the scene in the ToD novel is the first mention of this, hence it wouldn't exactly be a retcon.

I find it interesting that you dislike the novels. To be fair I really didn't like Day of the Dragon either, but that's probably mostly because I don't care for Richard A. Knaak's writing style. Lord of the Clans is one of my favorites though, second only to Rise of the Horde. Anything by Christie Golden is awesome in my opinion. And The Last Guardian, while a bit slow at times, is one of the better written books of the bunch I think. But again, this is all opinion :p
I'm not sure what you mean about them taking liberty about the lore though, seeing as much of the Warcraft lore actually comes from these books. If anything, WoW and Chronicles take much more liberties with their retcons in my opinion.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you though, in my headcanon mostly the first three games (and novels that take place before WoW) counts.

Btw, is the Tides of Darkness novel good? ToD timeline is my favourite part of the lore, but I'm very reluctant to read it, since I was disappointed with the three novels I read. Any piece of advice?

I like it. It's not the best of the bunch, but I enjoy it a lot because Orgrim Doomhammer (my favorite character) features pretty prominently in it. But then again I like most of the books. If you didn't like Lord of the Clans, I'm not sure you'll like this one either.

New WIPs:

WIP8.jpg

WIP9.jpg

WIP10.jpg

EDIT:

Don't think there's much more I can do for the body:

giphy.gif

Just need the hammer now.

Last edited:
Level 10
EDIT:

giphy.gif

Awesome! You're great as always, Tauer)

It seems he really has to have 2 versions: the hammer and the sword one. But the sword must be broken so it's quite a strange weapon for a real combat) It could be the WoW Legion version of the sword restored with the Light blade (lightsaber lol) but... How could the Second War Turalyon make such things like creating blades from pure Light?..

If you interested in ideas, I can suggest to make the "lightsaber" version as an Alternate anim set for "hammer-Turalyon" with morph animation - yelling out and "activating" the broken sword. So it could be used as his ultimate skill in-game.

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native and I'm not very good in it)

Level 50
I actually tried something new for the head this time. I used Zbrush (a sculpting software) to sculpt a high poly head first and then I retopologized it in 3Ds Max. Basically it means that you have a high poly model and then you kinda of "build" a lower poly model on top of that. It makes it easier to get the correct shape, because I can use my Wacom tablet to sculpt the model in Zbrush first. It's a bit more intuitive than modeling in 3Ds Max. Here's what the high poly version looked like originally:

Of course I had to to a little tweaking to the low poly version afterwards to get the correct silhouette, but it's a pretty interesting approach. I might do the same for all my future models.

New WIPs:

View attachment 290761

View attachment 290762

View attachment 290763

EDIT:

giphy.gif

Oh I heard about Zbrush. And I've seen people often use it here on the Hive.

Nicely done mesh! I really like it. I can't wait to see it done!

Level 39
Awesome! You're great as always, Tauer)

It seems he really has to have 2 versions: the hammer and the sword one. But the sword must be broken so it's quite a strange weapon for a real combat) It could be the WoW Legion version of the sword restored with the Light blade (lightsaber lol) but... How could the Second War Turalyon make such things like creating blades from pure Light?..

If you interested in ideas, I can suggest to make the "lightsaber" version as an Alternate anim set for "hammer-Turalyon" with morph animation - yelling out and "activating" the broken sword. So it could be used as his ultimate skill in-game.

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native and I'm not very good in it)

Hmm, yeah maybe. I'll see what I do. I'm definitely not giving up the dual wield though, it's something I've wanted to do for him for a long time.

Just about there for the mesh:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Level 11
Not sure about the wikis (there are no citations on those parts), but he's described pretty directly as dual wielding Lothar's sword and his hammer in the ToD novel. Unless him picking up the shield and weapon is described in one of the manuals (it very well might be, I don't remember to be honest) I'd say that the scene in the ToD novel is the first mention of this, hence it wouldn't exactly be a retcon.
Well, what I thought I knew about Lothar's weapons came problably from these wikis, so... I admit I didn't see any citation about this either, perhaps they are wrong. I just checked in the BTDP manual, there is nothing about it. Perhaps all this shield stuff comes from RPG books, but Blizzard doesn't count them as canon. Or it could have been dreamed up by the people who wrote the articles: if Turalyon picked up Lothar's sword, why not picking up his shield as well, one might say? :cgrin:

I find it interesting that you dislike the novels. To be fair I really didn't like Day of the Dragon either, but that's probably mostly because I don't care for Richard A. Knaak's writing style. Lord of the Clans is one of my favorites though, second only to Rise of the Horde. Anything by Christie Golden is awesome in my opinion. And The Last Guardian, while a bit slow at times, is one of the better written books of the bunch I think. But again, this is all opinion :p
I'm not sure what you mean about them taking liberty about the lore though, seeing as much of the Warcraft lore actually comes from these books. If anything, WoW and Chronicles take much more liberties with their retcons in my opinion.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you though, in my headcanon mostly the first three games (and novels that take place before WoW) counts.
I don't want to be unfair: there are some good things in the books! In addition, it was quite a long time ago since I read them. My favourite out of the three books I mentioned is The Last Guardian, mostly because I liked the atmosphere you can sense in it. Orcs are starting to wander around and run skirmishes in the kingdom... they're an unknown race, no one knows much about them... the threat grows a bit more every day... I liked that :csmile:
But I really disliked how they are written (or maybe the issue comes from the translation?). I didn't like the multiple clichés and exaggeration. Off the top of my head, for example: in DoD, why Rhonin had to end up with Vereesa? In LoC, why most humans are depicted as cruel assholes? Why everybody has to be suspicious about magicians?
As for the liberty about the lore, it concerns a few things I found misplaced. It can be small things, but still... For example, in one of the books, there are two moons in the sky... You don't know how and why the author came up with that idea (wanted to be original?), but there they are: two moons, out of nowhere, even though in War 1, 2 or 3 there was no hint whatsoever about it (as far as I can remember). I know it's a detail, but it bugged me a little!
About the spirits in LoC: Thrall learned that he must not act like cruel warlocks, he must use his powers for good deeds or he won't be able to call for spirits powers... It doesn't really fit I think. Especially since this book is about a videogame franchise, and few players care about what is good and what is wrong when they play a shaman in Warcraft 3 or WoW! I find it strange that a shaman, however powerful he may be, has to rely on the good will of the spirits in order to fight.
I find it hard to explain what I have in mind, especially since it's been ages since I read the novels :cneut: I should reread them, I think I could come up with some other more convincing examples. It's just a general feeling I have when I read the novels. They seem quite far away from the games to me (from in-game experience, missions briefings, manuals...). It's just personal opinion, I totally understand that people like the books, and despite my reluctance, there are a few things that I appreciate about them and that are good additions to the lore. I might try ToD one of these days too.

As for WoW, yeah, I enjoyed the game for gameplay, but I stopped caring about WoW lore when they introduced draenei who popped out of the blue in Kalimdor with spaceships, Blood Elves in the Horde, and Light being in fact some sort of alien power... :cconf: Even the Forsaken in the Horde was questionable, so... Too much retcons, too much magic, too much technology, and the spirit of WoW is very different from the previous games, to my opinion.

Sorry - one of my numerous flaws is my lack of ability to be synthetic (and yet I tried :cgrin:). And I love rambling about post TFT lore... :croll:

That model progress is looking great, I'm really excited about seeing it finished! Thanks for keeping us up to date :csmile:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

His hammer looks like Uther's from Heroes of the Storm. Looking good so far :)

Level 39

Oh they're definitely cliché. But to be fair, Warcraft has always been a pretty cliché fantasy universe. Orcs, Elves, Dwarves etc. But cliché doesn't necessarily mean bad :p

Regarding Rhonin and Vereesa, eh I kinda like it. A romance plot is never a bad thing in my book, unless it's forced. I don't feel that it was. But again, DotD is probably my least favorite of the bunch.

I find it interesting that you got that impression from LotC. I thought it did a pretty good job of showing that not all Humans were assholes, with characters like Taretha, Sergeant, Tammis etc. Even some of the Orcs were depicted as equally cruel, as seen when Thrall calls them out on slaughtering innocent Humans, and when the Warsongs wants him to kill a Human child. It painted the two races in a very morally grey light, which I like. Besides, I don't think it's a stretch that most Humans will harbor immense animosity towards Orcs, when you consider what they put them through.

The two moons thing is just a fantasy thing, to make it stand out from our world. Just because the previous games didn't mention it doesn't mean that it contradicts anything :p Sometimes the games introduce lore, sometimes the books do.

I like the shaman thing. It makes them different from regular mages and warlocks. Also I don't think you should let gameplay dictate the lore, but this is just my opinion.

I'd say try to read one of them again. Maybe try it in English? My mother tongue isn't English either, but I could never imagine reading them in my language. It'd just feel weird :p
I recommend Rise of the Horde, it's by far my favorite.

Regarding Draenei and Blood Elves/Forsaken in the Horde, I couldn't agree more. I always found that to be a massive stretch. Generally I've agreed with very few of Blizzard's lore choices post-TFT.

His hammer looks like Uther's from Heroes of the Storm. Looking good so far :)

Thanks! :D

Currently in the process of unwrapping Turalyon, but I figured I might as well finish the power couple now that I started:

WIP1.jpg

Alleria Windrunner.

EDIT:

WIP2.jpg

WIP3.jpg

Dat ass.

Last edited:
Level 11
Oh they're definitely cliché. But to be fair, Warcraft has always been a pretty cliché fantasy universe. Orcs, Elves, Dwarves etc. But cliché doesn't necessarily mean bad :p
Of course, Blizzard didn't reinvent everything. In the books, I'd say clichés are more in the writing style, in some choices authors made. Like this romance thing between Rhonin and Vereesa: I don't really mind them having a romance (it can even be a nice addition to the lore, like Tyrande and Malfurion), it's just the way R. A. Knaak did it: if I remember right, first they hate each other, always arguing, and finally they end up together. This is so typical! :cgrin:

I find it interesting that you got that impression from LotC. I thought it did a pretty good job of showing that not all Humans were assholes, with characters like Taretha, Sergeant, Tammis etc. Even some of the Orcs were depicted as equally cruel, as seen when Thrall calls them out on slaughtering innocent Humans, and when the Warsongs wants him to kill a Human child. It painted the two races in a very morally grey light, which I like. Besides, I don't think it's a stretch that most Humans will harbor immense animosity towards Orcs, when you consider what they put them through.
You must be right on this one. I'll read the book again some day! And I'll play again OutsiderXE's LoC campaign, which is absolutly fabulous (just like his DoD and TLG campaigns, too)! I must have been left with that impression because of Blackmoore, who is so cruel and despicable he made me forget about the rest! Maybe there was a bit too much exaggeration about that character? (although I liked the fact that Blackmoore was pictured as an alcoholic dude, something that helped him find courage in battle, and that explains maybe his behaviour. This is probably the only thing that gives him a little bit of humanity :csmile:)

The two moons thing is just a fantasy thing, to make it stand out from our world. Just because the previous games didn't mention it doesn't mean that it contradicts anything :p Sometimes the games introduce lore, sometimes the books do.
Admittedly, if the games don't mention it, it doesn't contradict anything, but it's a liberty the author takes for some reason, allowing himself to "reshape" the world to his will, and I wasn't very comfortable with it when I read it, even though it's just a detail. Besides, the games themselves sort of retconned this, since Elune was introduced as the goddess of the moon and there are priestesses of the moon, not the moons :cgrin: And in WoW, only one moon shines in the sky. So what was the point of making that up? I understand the author wanted it to be a fantasy thing, but it wasn't necessary. I know I'm being picky again, but that's the kind of thing that makes me have a general bad feeling about the books.
Edit: I just found out that there is in fact two moons. :cred: Blizzard introduced the second moon in-game in Mists of Pandaria (I stopped WoW during Cataclysm!)

All these things are not necessarily bad per se, it's just me who is quite difficult!

Actually, I think you put your finger right on the very thing that bothers me: the fact that sometimes the games introduce lore, sometimes the books do. It's hard to explain why, but I'm uncomfortable with that idea. :cconf:
One of the reason is that I feel that the books and the games don't look alike, don't share the same atmosphere (to my opinion), therefore I don't like when a book impose too much on the universe. Another reason would be for practical reasons: first time I played Warcraft 3 (ages ago!), I hadn't read LoC, so I didn't understand everything about Thrall and Orcs, and I could hardly see the link between Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. It took me a while before I put things together and understod everything (and later I finally read the book!). It was my fault of course, I should have read the books before, but I didn't know they existed by then - young I was, and it was a time where the internet wasn't developed as it is now!
The same happened to me when I first played the expansion Cataclysm in WoW: almost nothing in the game explained why Magni Bronzebeard was petrified, why Southshore and Taurajo were destroyed, etc. You had to read the books/comics. As I said, lore had stopped being my first concern at that time, but still, I thought it was a shame for players. :csmile:

I like the shaman thing. It makes them different from regular mages and warlocks. Also I don't think you should let gameplay dictate the lore, but this is just my opinion.
Gameplay should not dictate the lore indeed: this is what made WoW so bad lore-wise. Lore was twisted so much to fit gameplay, in the end you wonder if you're still in the same universe. I just found this shaman thing a bit weird, a bit exaggerated perhaps. Again it's just a general feeling I get, so... It's a matter of personal taste, I guess. :csmile:

I had never considered reading the books in English (sadly, in France, books are always translated), but if I can lay hands on an English version, I might try it out (couldn't hurt to get some practice in English, too!)

Alleria Windrunner.
You never touch the other Elves like that!
Well done, I think none expected her showing up like this :cgrin: Will she have her face painted?

Last edited:
Level 39
Of course, Blizzard didn't reinvent everything. In the books, I'd say clichés are more in the writing style, in some choices authors made. Like this romance thing between Rhonin and Vereesa: I don't really mind them having a romance (it can even be a nice addition to the lore, like Tyrande and Malfurion), it's just the way R. A. Knaak did it: if I remember right, first they hate each other, always arguing, and finally they end up together. This is so typical! :cgrin:

Hah, true enough. Although to be fair this is a very common trope used in many great stories. Star Wars is a good example, with Leia and Han Solo.

(although I liked the fact that Blackmoore was pictured as an alcoholic dude, something that helped him find courage in battle, and that explains maybe his behaviour. This is probably the only thing that gives him a little bit of humanity :csmile:)

Oh I think Blackmoore was a very humanized villain. He wasn't some evil demon like Kil'jaeden or Tichondrius, he was simply a horrible person whose bad traits got even worse because of the booze. He even "cared" for Thrall in his own way I think, as is seen when he actually admits his pride for Thrall's accomplishments in the end of LotC.

Admittedly, if the games don't mention it, it doesn't contradict anything, but it's a liberty the author takes for some reason, allowing himself to "reshape" the world to his will, and I wasn't very comfortable with it when I read it, even though it's just a detail.

I can understand why you'd find this jarring. Personally little stuff like this doesn't really get to me, it's more when they make changes that affect the plot and characters in a negative way that annoys me. Illidan suddenly becoming a bad guy in TBC is a perfect example of this. Honestly you lasted longer in WoW than I did, I was out after what they did to one of my favorite characters in TBC.

I had never considered reading the books in English (sadly, in France, books are always translated), but if I can lay hands on an English version, I might try it out (couldn't hurt to get some practice in English, too!)

I'd definitely recommend that. You should be able to get the English versions on Amazon. If not you can get them as e-books.

You never touch the other Elves like that!
Well done, I think none expected her showing up like this :cgrin: Will she have her face painted?

She'll definitely have face paint of some sort!

I feel like you are at pair or even at higher level with actual wc3 model designers at blizzard, amazing work and the speed that you pump out models are amazing Tauer.

Thank you very much for the kind words, but I am honestly no where near Blizzard level :) For that you'd have to go to someone like Traggey. Thank you for the support! :D

Alleria mesh is getting there:

giphy.gif

EDIT:

Bow:
WIP4.jpg

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Level 11
Hah, true enough. Although to be fair this is a very common trope used in many great stories. Star Wars is a good example, with Leia and Han Solo.
Precisely! This kind of scenario has got a bit hackneyed now :cgrin:

I can understand why you'd find this jarring. Personally little stuff like this doesn't really get to me, it's more when they make changes that affect the plot and characters in a negative way that annoys me. Illidan suddenly becoming a bad guy in TBC is a perfect example of this. Honestly you lasted longer in WoW than I did, I was out after what they did to one of my favorite characters in TBC.
Totally with you on this one. Illidan was an interesting character - not good, not evil, somewhere in between. Killing him off was a bad idea. I didn't appreciate when they killed Cairne in Cataclysm either. And so on...

I guess this kind of stuff is what makes people like us nostalgic of the past and so keen on playing the three old games over and over, designing maps and models with old artwork, for good old times sake :cgrin:

Level 39
It is true that Traggey is beyond blizzard level, but he rarely uploads his creations sadly

True dat, seems like he's quite busy lately. He hasn't been online in months :(

I guess this kind of stuff is what makes people like us nostalgic of the past and so keen on playing the three old games over and over, designing maps and models with old artwork, for good old times sake :cgrin:

Indeed! :)

Alleria mesh is basically done:

GIF2.gif

GIF3.gif

Now to start texturing Turalyon :)

EDIT:

Early WIP on Lothar's texture:

WIP11.jpg

Far from perfect, but slowly getting there. Texturing humans is hard when all you do is make Orcs :p

Last edited:
Level 11
Far from perfect, but slowly getting there. Texturing humans is hard when all you do is make Orcs :p
Even if you leave that "far from perfect" Turalyon just like this, I'd already be happy lol

About Alleria, I see you added a dagger, are you planning to give her melee attack animations, or is it just for aesthetics?

Level 39
About Alleria, I see you added a dagger, are you planning to give her melee attack animations, or is it just for aesthetics?

Not sure actually. Originally I did it just for aesthetics, but now that you mention it I might use it for a Spell Throw or a melee animation set.

Still going at Turalyon's face:

WIP12.jpg

Something just feels off, but I can't put my finger on it. I swear, eyebrows are the bane of my existence. They just look weird no matter how I do them.

Level 39
I feel like the overall contrast on that thing (but especially the eyebrows) are through the roof. I mean yes it's the Warcraft way, but I kinda feel this goes *too* far.

Hmm yeah good point. How is this?

WIP13.jpg

It's all about finding the right balance. Losing too much contrast will take away the depth.

EDIT:

Desaturated the skin a bit:

GIF1.gif

Neck is still very WIP. I think I'm gonna move onto other parts of the skin soon. I can always come back and tweak the face later.

EDIT2:

Just trying something out:

GIF3.gif

Last edited:
Level 11
About the eyes, I like both versions too. Just an idea: would it be possible that his eyes get this yellow glow only when casting a spell? I suppose it couldn't be a texture feature though, but it could be a nice detail imo, don't know if it's feasible!

Level 39
About the eyes, I like both versions too. Just an idea: would it be possible that his eyes get this yellow glow only when casting a spell? I suppose it couldn't be a texture feature though, but it could be a nice detail imo, don't know if it's feasible!

It is very possible, and I am indeed planning on doing something like this.

Level 50
It's coming along nicely. The idea with the glowing eyes is a good thought, I'd like to see that too.
Now the face looks much better though for the hair I'll suggest you to take a look at texture of Sylvanas' in game hair color so you can see if it's to bright and compare it to it. I personal think you should darken it a bit.

Really awesome stuff here, Tauer!

A few words of advice regarding skin. Try avoiding having too much of those near-white tones, makes it look like it's wrapped in plastic. Use that to accent whether something is reflective or not, but otherwise have the whites a bit more diffuse. To preserve depth, feel free to go darker in less shaded areas

I did a really quick paintover to demonstrate my points, hope you don't mind:

turalyon.png

Level 50

A few words of advice regarding skin. Try avoiding having too much of those near-white tones, makes it look like it's wrapped in plastic. Use that to accent whether something is reflective or not, but otherwise have the whites a bit more diffuse. To preserve depth, feel free to go darker in less shaded areas

View attachment 290893
Definitely this is good advice and it looks better this way.

Level 39
It's coming along nicely. The idea with the glowing eyes is a good thought, I'd like to see that too.
Now the face looks much better though for the hair I'll suggest you to take a look at texture of Sylvanas' in game hair color so you can see if it's to bright and compare it to it. I personal think you should darken it a bit.

Yeah, it's probably a bit too bright. Honestly the hair was something I put together really quickly, I'll probably start over on that completely when I'm done with the face.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch, will definitely try to incorporate these suggestions. Constructive criticism is always appreciated in this thread :D

EDIT:

Tried to make a few changes based on paintover @Kwaliti provided:

WIP17.jpg

WIP18.jpg

Not 100% there yet, but definitely looking better. Thanks dude!

Last edited:
Level 11
I just spotted something odd, in case you haven't noticed: texture of the ears looks the same back and front. It makes his ears look a bit strange! :rolleyes:

Level 2
I'm kinda shy to tell you my finding/s about your latest Durotan model. Sorry :nemor:

Sorry... Again... For being so talkative.

Last edited:
Level 39
I just spotted something odd, in case you haven't noticed: texture of the ears looks the same back and front. It makes his ears look a bit strange! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, that's because the ears are just planes, so they have the same texture on both sides. Most of the Warcraft III models are like this. You can look at the Night Elf Archer as an example. Looks a bit weird, but honestly the part behind the ears wont be visible ingame for 99% of the time.

Btw, I'm a Game Tester, I can test Alleria and Turalyon in-game for free ;) Haha

Well, I usually test my models myself, but if I ever need any help I'll send you a pm :)
I'm kinda shy to tell you my finding/s about your latest Durotan model. Sorry :nemor:

Latest? My Durotan model is over 2 years old. If you've found any problems with it please share!

Level 2
Haha sorry, I kinda think that it's still new. Haha "durotan" I mean... But it still puzzles me haha but don't worry. I'm gonna send you my stuff the moment I got home. Tho, I think that it is something that you can fix w/in a second coz I have this fascination of equipping orbs with my heroes.

Level 7
Tauer u have amazing work u bring me back time n time again, but my opinion with this would be to work on the ears, the face is perfect nice saturation to it and details. But the ear needs a better UVwrap. I can tell that the ear the way it is will be very noticeable in portraits. ALL IN ALL 5/5 superb job.

Level 39
Haha sorry, I kinda think that it's still new. Haha "durotan" I mean... But it still puzzles me haha but don't worry. I'm gonna send you my stuff the moment I got home. Tho, I think that it is something that you can fix w/in a second coz I have this fascination of equipping orbs with my heroes.

Orbs? Is it a problem with the model's attachment points?

Tauer u have amazing work u bring me back time n time again, but my opinion with this would be to work on the ears, the face is perfect nice saturation to it and details. But the ear needs a better UVwrap. I can tell that the ear the way it is will be very noticeable in portraits. ALL IN ALL 5/5 superb job.

Damn, haven't seen you here in years. Welcome back!

New hair:

GIF5.gif

Maybe now I can finally move on from the darn head :p

Last edited:
Level 39
Sorry, progress has been a bit slow. Finally moved on to the body:

GIF6.gif

Texturing is a bit slow with this one, but I like the result so far.

I love your models @Tauer, they are absolutely perfect, the way you manage to maintain that warcraft 3 feeling on all of them it's amazing.

EDIT:

Changed the shoulderpad shape a little bit, looks better I think:

GIF6.gif

EDIT 2:

GIF6.gif

Last edited:
Level 11
There is a Warcraft 2 feeling (especially the shoulderplate), but with Warcraft 3 standards, I like it!
If I may make a suggestion, I'd just lighten the armour a wee bit, because the front part is perhaps a little too black (not talking about the shoulderplate, which is team coloured I guess). It makes me think a little of an orcish armour (like Orgrim's).
Also, aren't the elbows a tiny bit too pointed? Unless it's on purpose?
Anyway, nice job, keep on the good work! :cgrin:

Level 39
There is a Warcraft 2 feeling (especially the shoulderplate), but with Warcraft 3 standards, I like it!
If I may make a suggestion, I'd just lighten the armour a wee bit, because the front part is perhaps a little too black (not talking about the shoulderplate, which is team coloured I guess). It makes me think a little of an orcish armour (like Orgrim's).

Hm yeah might be a little dark. It looks darker on the render than it really is though.

The elbows are definitely supposed to be sharp. I'm trying to imitate the elbow pads from plate armor like this:
MI50-4-2.jpg

Finished gloves and set up some TC areas:

GIF6.gif

Level 39

Hm yeah might be a little dark. It looks darker on the render than it really is though.

The elbows are definitely supposed to be sharp. I'm trying to imitate the elbow pads from plate armor like this:
MI50-4-2.jpg

Finished gloves and set up some TC areas:

GIF6.gif

ATTACH]

Level 39
Love it so far. I'm not sure about his proportions thgough. His head looks like if it would have to be move backwards a bit and his legs seem to run straight up to his belt (I mean a straight line from the start of his boots). Kinda struggeling to describe it maybe you'll get what I mean :D

Hmm I guess the head could be moved back a bit yeah. Not sure what you mean about the legs though, it might be the camera angle. If you mean that they don't bend enough, this is deliberate. The bending will come with the animation. And thanks :)

Left shoulderpad:

GIF7.gif

Level 39
Well I don't know he kinda looks a bit too much like a teenager from his proportions. If you take a look at your Anduin model he looks like a grown ass man, and even if Turalyon was younger, his proportions just look younger then they should.

Oh, that was actually also deliberate. Lothar is supposed to be a huge motherfucker of a man. I deliberately didn't want Turalyon to be equal to him in size. Also Turalyon is described as being pretty young and inexperienced in ToD.

And I actually modeled Turalyon with Arthas as a reference in the viewport. Only part where he's a bit different in body type is that Arthas' forearms are a bit thicker. Making Turalyon's as big as his looked weird so I scaled them down a bit.

It might just be the head thing you talked about, I'll try to tweak it a bit.

EDIT:

Made a few subtle changes based on the suggestions @PROXY gave:

GIF8.gif

Move his head back and also lifted it up a bit. This makes him look a bit taller and more mature. Also made his forearms a teeny bit more bulky, although I didn't want to overdo it. Overall I think it looks better, so good call @PROXY!

Last edited:
Level 11
The left shoulderplate colour has a golden border, while its right counterpart has a silver/iron border (plus a second thiner golden one)
bZdUim
Sans_titre.png
I don't know, with two different colours it feels perhaps a little bizarre, doesn't it? Or is it just me?

Last edited: