• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Thanks guys :)

Had some time to continue the texturing, in the process of doing the wolf skin now:

attachment.php

Also did some work on his chest:

attachment.php

Attachments

• wip12.png
    wip12.png
    617.4 KB · Views: 759
  • wip13.png
    wip13.png
    986.6 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
Level 9
WOAH! I stop checking for like 2 days and all of a sudden there's a mass flood of awesomesauce coming in!

Lovin' Durotan so far! Make the green version, throw in paladin's Kargath, and keeping your Orgrim and Hellscream models in mind and we'll have quite the ensemble of old Orc Chieftain goodness! Would love to see you revisit Cho'Gall/Den'targ, btw, as those two could certainly use some more love.

At the rate you're goin', might we expect a small collection of HD remakes of all your older models? i.e. Kil'rogg, Gul'dan?

Level 39
Yes, I will release green skin.

WOAH! I stop checking for like 2 days and all of a sudden there's a mass flood of awesomesauce coming in!

Lovin' Durotan so far! Make the green version, throw in paladin's Kargath, and keeping your Orgrim and Hellscream models in mind and we'll have quite the ensemble of old Orc Chieftain goodness! Would love to see you revisit Cho'Gall/Den'targ, btw, as those two could certainly use some more love.

At the rate you're goin', might we expect a small collection of HD remakes of all your older models? i.e. Kil'rogg, Gul'dan?

Don't know about Kil'rogg, might be a possibility. But I definately see new Gul'Dan and Ner'zhul models in the future.

Upper body is almost done:

attachment.php

Attachments

• render1.gif
    render1.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 786
Last edited:

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Love the little Frostwolf medallion he has. Very cool model so far. Really curious what you'll have him use for weapons - shaman claws? Or did Durotan wield Doomhammer? I admit, I know little about the character, and I've forgotten much since I've read the WoW Wiki back in 2008 or so.

He doesn't have a signature weapon - he was mostly seen using a two-handed axe. And yes, I am big Warcraft Lore nerd ^^

Level 9
Pre-WoD, I always pictured Durotan with a spear or staff for some reason XD In "Lord of the Clans," though, he's said to have an axe. Whether it was meant to be one-handed or two, it was never specified. But as we're going with the WoD based model, he's probably gonna be dual-wielding axes, as I believe that's how he's shown, last I remember.

Anyways, progress is looking fantastic so far! As already said, the medallion was a very nice touch. A nice subtle detail that can make a close-up shot in a cinematic just that much more flavorable, methinks.

Oh! And congratulations on the community spotlight, Tauer! You totally deserved it. Gotta admit, I made a bit of a :3 face when you mentioned the ol' Clan Grunts I originally suggested all that time ago XDD

Level 39
Love the little Frostwolf medallion he has. Very cool model so far. Really curious what you'll have him use for weapons - shaman claws? Or did Durotan wield Doomhammer? I admit, I know little about the character, and I've forgotten much since I've read the WoW Wiki back in 2008 or so.

He doesn't have a signature weapon - he was mostly seen using a two-handed axe. And yes, I am big Warcraft Lore nerd ^^

Pre-WoD, I always pictured Durotan with a spear or staff for some reason XD In "Lord of the Clans," though, he's said to have an axe. Whether it was meant to be one-handed or two, it was never specified. But as we're going with the WoD based model, he's probably gonna be dual-wielding axes, as I believe that's how he's shown, last I remember.

Anyways, progress is looking fantastic so far! As already said, the medallion was a very nice touch. A nice subtle detail that can make a close-up shot in a cinematic just that much more flavorable, methinks.

I'm going for this concept:

artwork-durotan1-full.jpg

So I guess it's a two or one handed axe. Probably not gonna be dual wielding, the axe seems a bit too big for that.

Also, as far as I remember, he is described as using an axe in the novels.

Oh! And congratulations on the community spotlight, Tauer! You totally deserved it. Gotta admit, I made a bit of a :3 face when you mentioned the ol' Clan Grunts I originally suggested all that time ago XDD

Thanks mate ;D And yeah, that was quite a trip down memory lane talking about that stuff.

Wow nice Durotan model !!!
Now this icon will become useful soon:D

True, I'll have to make his skin darker to make it fit the icon better.

Gave him a shoulderpad on one side:

attachment.php

I think it looks better this way. It gives him some more TC and also make him less symmetrical. Seems a bit less generic this way imo.

Attachments

• render2.gif
    render2.gif
    6 MB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Level 9
Well if we're going for the single axe seen in that concept, a nice way to unique-ify him would be to have him alternate between one handed and two-handed swings, maybe include a sort of "slam" animation for a cleave-like ability. Also, maybe make the axe a bit exaggeratedly big if it's going to be resting on his shoulder like in the pic, make it more noticeable. A cool throw animation would be a nice touch as well, methinks, especially if you felt like doing a missle model for the axe :3

Oh, and I hate to even bring this up, but I'm working on a big project thing that involves Durotan and all of them, it's a sort of alternate Warcraft Storyline type deal, and one thing I was considering was giving Durotan the ability to shapeshift into a massive white wolf. Now, I could of course just do this with the default wolf model and all that, but I figured I'd at least -suggest- the possibility of including it into your model, in a sort of "Druid of the Claw" type morph anim set. Totally unnecessary but it'd be awesome if you could.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
I like the addition of the shoulderpad, but it seems kind of... "unfitting" for him. It seems made of metal, and he wears mostly fur and leather, so it kinda pokes me in the eye. But maybe that's just me.
EDIT: Maybe something similar to what Rexxar wears as a shoulderpad

insiderrexmish.jpg

Rex.png

Hey there!

Well, I have to say, not to keen on the shoulder pads,
though, simply because it goes away from the original concept.

Some other ideas to give him more TC:

Like on the WC3 Shaman, you could give him TC markings on his fur pelt. (Check the back of the shaman model)

Also, I could see his bracers being teamcolored as well.

Level 7
Eh... I like how you put team color on the gauntlet, but I'd drop the shoulder pad. It just looks wrong, IMO.

Level 39
Alright guys, I'm putting Durotan on hold throughout the weekend. I wanna try and see what I can whip up for the Colossus modeling contest. I'm gonna spend the weekend modeling him and get an idea of whether it's possible to finish him in such a short time frame. If I can't the look right or if I think it'll take too long, I'll probably drop it.

The plan is a Cthulhu model:

cthulhu.jpg

Anyway, this is what I have so far:

attachment.php

Bear in mind that it's very much a WIP. He needs to be much bulkier and much more imposing. Right now I'm just focusing on getting the base model right. I'm using the following image for modeling reference:

the-mighty-cthulhu.jpg

I'm mostly using this for the modeling, I'm not planning for the final model to look like that. When the base model is done I'm gonna make tweaks and make him more muscular etc. I want the final model to look more like the first image.
I'm thinking I can use the model for a Sargeras base in the future as well.

Attachments

• WIP1.jpg
    WIP1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 817
Level 12
Tauer why not post both here and there? I mean, you still have followers of this topic who are waiting a lot to see anything new coming from you, so yeah, they might not (such as I don't) track other topics and contests, but instead look down here. Anyways long story short, if possible you should post your WIP's both here and there. I mean, no matter for what it is, this is your WIP topic, all your projects should be here. :)

Level 39
Alright, since Witch-King requested it I'll be posting my WIPs here as well, if that's alright.

attachment.php

Only 586 tris so far, so I have plenty left for the head. I think most polys will go to the tentacles.. there are a lot of them :p
I'm a bit worried that the animation phase will take too long. My goal is to finish the mesh and start on the texture this weekend. Then finish texture sometime during next week and finally rig and animate next weekend, then hand it in Sunday evening. It'll be tight, but it might just be possible.
I will say that the model has been VERY fun to make so far. I'm really enjoying this one.

UPDATE:

Started work on the head:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I really like how it's looking, especially the head.

Level 39
Thanks guys :)

Another update:

I'm gonna have to call it for the mesh.

Not very detailed I know, but I have to move on. I'm already behind schedule, I'm gonna have to be quick about the texture if I'm gonna make it.
I might add more details to the mesh later if I have time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm getting a bit worried about the time constraints, I'm not sure I'm gonna make it.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I second that, you sure as hell can. All you need is some Redbull :D.

Level 12
Is not like he's working for us lol... U sound like demanding lel
Ppl has their life, he is probably busy... I understand that because im like so busy too lol after i start my college

Im not demanding anything. Just a little saddened because Tauer comes and goes. But I gotta hand it to you, he's been here since 2004 and still here. I don't think anyone's been this active for this long.

Level 39
I have indeed been very busy. Exams have been especially stressful this semester. I'm finally done with them though, so now I have time again. I am going to take a few days doing absolutely nothing to relax my mind a bit though, after that intense headache-inducing exam period.
But you guys know me, I always come back. So yes, I will definately come back and finish these models. I know I have quite a few unfinished ones, and seeing as I can't finish them all at once I'm gonna have to prioritize.
It's probably gonna go like this:
Durotan first, then Garona, then Zul'jin and lastly Cthulhu. Cthulhu is low priority since he was kinda a special case, normally I only do Warcraft models. So if I'm even gonna finish him, he's gonna be last. Garona and Zul'jin might switch places depending on my mood after I finish Durotan.

So, I'll probably start posting updates on Durotan in a few days time.

Level 21
http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-...lords-of-draenor-of-wolves-and-warriors-1.jpg
http://media.blizzard.com/wow/media/artwork/wow-characters/artwork-durotan1-full.jpg
http://orig11.deviantart.net/6986/f/2014/295/4/1/durotan_by_yy6242-d83qj74.png
http://pre04.deviantart.net/5278/th/pre/i/2014/293/5/a/durotan_by_deilan12-d83kjdg.png

Durotan, Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan, Father of Thrall/Go'el, Husband to Draka, Son to Garad, Leader of the Frostwolves until he died.
Well its good to have him be in his Warlords of Draenor model. Really awesome Tauer.
That reminds me could you do a brown version of Grommash Hellscream and a red version if you could?
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...rom_WoD.png/revision/latest?cb=20150402164407 = Brown (How he looked before getting the Demon Blood)
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111143389/3648867-grom-hellscream-by-noodle.jpg = Red (Due to more Demon Blood Corruption)

Level 39
WOW! It's just awesome!

Will you do Thrall's shaman version? Just wondering. :p

Thanks! Thrall, probably not. I'm really not a fan of Blizzard turning Thrall into Green Jesus. His Doomhammer plate armour look was MUCH cooler. So it's not really a model I'm that interested in making, sorry :/

Alright, Axe texture is a wrap!

attachment.php

That was faster than I thought. This means that the texture is pretty much finished and I can now move on to animating.

EDIT:

Final look:

attachment.php

Might play around with the contrast and colors a bit later, but other than that I'm calling it for the texture.

Attachments

• render5.gif
    render5.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 754
  • render6.gif
    render6.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 558
Last edited: