• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Experiments on Wc3 to Sc2 transformations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been playing around with the NeoDex Importer and I got pretty good results out of it. The best was that actualy updating each model took around 1 to 2 hours. If I had some extra tools it would have been way faster.

For experimenting I picked up two models from the hive. Supa's Abomination Hero and Jirael/Tarrasque's Lord of Darkness. The process was simple, first I made the diffuse, normal, specular and mask maps for each model (explaination at the end), then I imported the model to 3dsmax 2011 using NeoDex's importer, finaly I formatted everything to Sc2's Art Tools and remade Particle Emitters. The final results were too astonishing to be true.

Note: Sc2 models were rendered in medium quality, they should look better with higher quality settings.

Supa's Abomination:

Wc3 Look:
attachment.php

Sc2 only diffuse:
attachment.php

Sc2 with Normlas map:
attachment.php

Sc2 with all the maps on enviroment:
attachment.php

Sample 1:
attachment.php

Sample 2:
attachment.php

Tarrasque's Lord of Darkness:

Wc3 Look:
attachment.php

Sc2 Look only diffuse:
attachment.php

Sc2 Look with other maps:
attachment.php

Sample 1:
attachment.php

Sample 2:
attachment.php

So how were they made?

Obviously first I downloaded the models and converted the Blps to TGAs.

The next step was make the maps.

First I opened the tga, selected the team colored areas in the alpha channel, inversed their colors and pasted them in the RGB Channel. Saved it as a sepparate texture which I would use for generating the Normal and Specular map.

Now I have two basic textures the original texture and the shape texture.

To make the diffuse map, I opened the original texture, removed the alpha which wasn't team color, desaturated the texture a bit and reduced contrast to make it look more Sc2 like. Then saved it as a .dds

To make the Normal Map, I opened the shape texture and used Nvidia's Texture Tools' Normal Map Filter to generate the normal Map, then I copy pasted the background in multiple layers and apply them as overlay, the areas which I wanted more bump got seppartaed from others in different layers and I applied different opacities to the layers to increase bump. Finaly merged all and saved the layers as a DTX5 NRM DDS (not according to some tutorial around there which doesn't make correct Normal Maps).

To make the Specular Map, I used Crazy bump and Photoshop. I first opened the Shape texture in Photoshop and desaturated it, then reduce it's brightness down, later I opened Crazy Bump and created a noisy specular map with high contrast and metallic color. I copy pasted the generated specular map from Crazy Bump into my other image as a new layer and erased the non metallic areas. I then addapted saturation and set my over layer as an overlay which I affected by opacity until I felt the merge of both layers was fit. Finaly saved my DDS.

For the Mask Map, I just opened the original texture, set the RGB channel to black and removed the team colored alpha, then saved it as a .dds

All this took around 30 minutes to 1 hour for each model.

Now that I had finished my maps. All what was left was import the model to 3dsmax and update it to sc2 art tools.

This was almost a piece of cake since all I had to do was reset Rarity and movespeed in Sc2's art tools anim floater and, later, remake the materials for Sc2. In the sace of team color, I made my own Glow Texture and set it on diffuse and as an specular Add material with no shadows and no lights affection.

Finaly, export and fix a bit (add particle emitters, fix visibility anims, etc).

Conclussions from the Experiment:
  • Transforming Wc3 models to Sc2 is quite simple and could be done in an small time once one has expertize with both formats.
  • Resulting conversions with these techniques produce good/decent results, further investigation could improve it further.
  • Converting models which use a lot of in-game textures can be a big pain in the ass, specialy if you want to optimize them.
  • It's better to use Sc2's Particle Emitter Textures instead of Wc3's.

Future Work:
  • Study emissive and enviroment maps to produce extra and better results.
  • Study better ways for generating specular maps.
  • Find better techniques for making diffuse maps look more serious and less cartoony.
  • Work on an easy NeoDex Scene to Sc2 Art Tools Scene converter to save up a lot of time for non-experimental conversions.

I would release the generated models, but I require permission from both authors. so stay tuned.

Attachments

• LilFella.jpg
    LilFella.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 594
  • LilFella2.jpg
    LilFella2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 602
  • LilFella3.jpg
    LilFella3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 577
  • Sample1.jpg
    Sample1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 529
  • Wc3LookAbom.jpg
    Wc3LookAbom.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,280
  • SampleLoD2.jpg
    SampleLoD2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 560
  • SampleLoD1.jpg
    SampleLoD1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 579
  • SampleLoDpnlyDiffuse.jpg
    SampleLoDpnlyDiffuse.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 638
  • Wc3LookLoD.jpg
    Wc3LookLoD.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 544
  • Sample2.jpg
    Sample2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 576
  • SampleLoD3.jpg
    SampleLoD3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 574

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Problem with automatic generation of complex textures is that without human intelligence behind it there can always be mistakes or visually unpleasing artefacts. It would probably be safer to compute only basic textures automatically and save the other layers or detail for human artists.

Well I went on and worked a bit around Supa's abomination model for Sc2. Fixed a bit the normal map, also did some work on the specular, added decals to the right shoulder, added back particle emitters, improved the glow and added selection hit tests and colission.

Improved look:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the model in M3 format and in Max Format.

If you are using that model for purposes other than testing, remember to credit Supa.

Attachments

• Hero Abomination.zip
    670.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Abomination Sc2.max
    924 KB · Views: 61
  • Sampl3.jpg
    Sampl3.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 541
  • Sampl4.jpg
    Sampl4.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 525
Level 18
I think the multiple ingame textures are not such an obstacle. Since WC3 uses textures up to 512x512 ans SC2 allows 1024x1024, one could just merge the WC3 textures into a 1024x1024 texture, edit the wrap (just select the whole geoset, then scale down the uv wrap and move it to fit the new texture), merge the geosets and then proceed to conversion.

I think the multiple ingame textures are not such an obstacle. Since WC3 uses textures up to 512x512 ans SC2 allows 1024x1024, one could just merge the WC3 textures into a 1024x1024 texture, edit the wrap (just select the whole geoset, then scale down the uv wrap and move it to fit the new texture), merge the geosets and then proceed to conversion.

Nah, just rebake the textures into one by reunwrapping everything in 3dsmax under map channel 2 and rebake the projection of map channel 1 to 2.

Check this Wc3 Model I was working on for a conversion because of it's effects and complexity: WhiteDeath's WolfLord

The biggest problem on it was that it used many in-game textures for different geosets. The solution was remake the unwrap and rebake the texture easily. The final diffuse map:
attachment.php

Then from it the height map, which would define later the normal map:

attachment.php

And the Normal Map:
attachment.php

Attachments

• WolfLord_diff.jpg
    WolfLord_diff.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 490
  • WolfLord height.jpg
    WolfLord height.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 468