• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Selfmade Model has no Animation and is totally Screwed Up When Imported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everyone,

I made my first model using GMax and finally imported it into one of my custom maps. What it turned out to look like is the following:

fuckedupw3czp9m.jpg

The mesh seems to kind of "connect" to every model nearby. No idea where this is coming from. I tried removing all the Skin Modifiers from my meshes and the model looked as it should in W3. Problem is then of course, no animation.

The strange thing is that in any case none of my set animation intervals are being recognized. As you can see in the screenshot above, there are no animation being displayed even in the editor, nor are there any played ingame. And I am actually pretty sure that I did everything write about setting the intervals. Looks like this in the mdl (only one animation for testing):

Sequences 1 {
Anim "Walk" {
Interval { 0, 960 },
MinimumExtent { -89.5747, -50.5221, -3.44595 },
MaximumExtent { 71.0693, 63.6008, 414.119 },
BoundsRadius 424.96,
}
}

See attachments for the mdl and mdx as well as textures.

The texture is also totally unfinished, but that's supposed to be that way since I am planning to correct this when the model itseld is working.

Does anyone know a solution for these two problems?

Attachments

• Soldier.blp
    63.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Soldier.mdl
    335.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Soldier.mdx
    114.4 KB · Views: 73
World Editor won't bother to show the animations list if the model only contains one animation.

I have imported your model (without changing anything, directly from download) but the problem you speak of doesn't seem to happen. I have attached a picture, take a look.

I'm guessing that the reason behind this large amount of polies.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_012316_141933_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_012316_141933_01.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 125
Level 2
Thanks for the quick help.

Yes, the uploaded model is the mostly working one. See this reply's attachment for the fucked up version and a map including a unit using this model.

Animation is working now and also shown in the animation list in WE after I added two more animation.

Large amount of polys could be a reason. Is there a maximum of polys to use for W3 models? Mine has a lot since I modelled even every single mag pouch.

@Talavaj: What is there you can srew up with keys, weights etc? I've read that the Skin Modifier is a real unstable one and usually when experiencing any "weirdness" ingame you are supposed to do the Skinning all over again.

Also, as far as I know you are supposed to select all the meshes you wanna export before doing so. Does this count for bones, too? Because I did. But I did not ever see bones in other custom models.

Attachments

• Soldier.mdx
    142.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Soldier.mdl
    420.7 KB · Views: 54
  • un.w3m
    155.4 KB · Views: 53
Level 2
Tried removing most of the polys, no difference.

Then I removed all Skin Modifiers and made a new one only for the left arm. Turns out like this:

unbenanntwiy6z.png

Looks like my bones are being randomly attached to other polys on the map. Is there something that could have gone wrong with IDs or something? Didnt even know there was something like this for bones...

Status
Not open for further replies.