• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ribbon help - Tyrael model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Updated with Video :: Ribbon help - Tyrael model

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I've been dinking around with warcraft 3 modeling for a little over a year now. I've been working on a Tyrael model from Diablo 2 and he's coming along, but I need some help with ribbons. Actually this is for Tyrael's Runeblade sword. I can't seem to reorient the ribbon to go the length of the blade. If I reorient the entire model to match the ribbon then the model will be sticking out of hands sideways, not wanted of course. If there's just something I'm missing please let me know. Here's a couple pics of my progress so far!

EDIT: Added a short video clip of the animations I've worked on so far, tell me what you guys think. The colors are pretty washed out from my awesome free video capture software...

Also, I've learned that for one reason or another if I attempt to use any ribbons at all it will immediately corrupt my file if saved with the ribbon in it, so I'm going to leave that dirty stuff alone until everything else is finished. I have no experience whatsoever with animation, so hopefully everything looks ok for a first timer.

Attachments

• tyraelWIP.jpg
    tyraelWIP.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 4,691
  • tyraelanimationtest.wmv
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 753
  • tyraelprev.gif
    tyraelprev.gif
    168.7 KB · Views: 22,784
  • tyraelchannel.wmv
    744.8 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:
Level 5
Well, the reason I wanted to adjust the ribbon to go the length of the blade especially was to sort of mask the after effects of the fire particle emitter already on the blade. If I make the lifespan too short so that I don't see particles hanging around, then the effect sort of dies anyway. I'm really bad at spending my time fiddling with insignificant details.

I'll try animating a bone with the ribbon attached to it to try to orientate it into position tomorrow. I tried a couple times already but 3ds keeps crashing. I'm working on 3ds max 5 in Vista so it's pretty slow going, I can only do a few things before it crashes. I will probably do a dual boot solution with win2k or xp before i really start animating more cuz the way things are going now i might lose all my hair out of frustration.

Elenai: I plan on posting the model when I'm finished with it but I have no idea when that'll be. This will be used primarily for a map project my brother and cousin and I are working on with our free time.

Again, if anyone has some more info about ribbons please clue me in! Thanks

Level 5
Wow it's been too long. Been pretty busy at work. I did install WinXP again on my machine so now I'm successfully dual booting and can work in peace without fear of so many crashes. I've tried for a pretty long time now just to get a ribbon to orient correctly in my model and I wind up corrupting my files, unable to even open them in 3ds max anymore. Make multiple backup saves, yes. Seriously how does blizzard expect people to use ribbons if you can't orient them? I've tried attaching them to bones and animate the bone into position and it will sort of work at first go, but then my file corrupts afterwards. Very disheartening.

I took a break from Tyrael and started work on a Grahf the Seeker of Power from Xenogears model, so I'll post that here for anyone that would like to see.

Attachments

• grahf1.jpg
    grahf1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,982
  • grahf2.jpg
    grahf2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 5,060
Level 5
Oops, yeah I've been pretty busy at my job. Haven't had much time recently to finish Tyrael up. I did do a bit of work and not update the status on here, so I'll do that now. I have an animated gif of a couple of poses from the animation tracks and then I have a video of Tyrael's signature world-ending channel animation. I will probably make a new post in the model WIP/Critique section in a week or two depending on when I decide to set time aside to finish him up.

PS: what's HvH? Other one? I have competition oh nooooo

edit: moved images to top of thread.

Last edited:
Level 4
O damn. U never heard of the game Heaven vs Hell? Well its a popular game and theres a tyreal in it that looks ansanely awesome but it doesnt look exactly like urs. The one in there looks like and angel. Its doesn't have the strands for wings or the swrod but looks cool. The Hvh map just go to epicwar.com and search it. Its FINAL. Look for tyreal on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.