• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Play multiple animations at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So I want to create an inventory system like this with a lot of different icons. My great idea was to use one base model with a lot of different animations/animation tags. This as a unit would be able to show all different icons and I would not have to create a lot of destructibles in the Object Editor.

There is a problem however. All of these icons need to play cooldown animations of different lengths. What's the best way to achieve this when all the functionality (show different icons, play cooldown anim) should be comprised in one model/unit?

Note: I think it is impractical to add a cooldown animation for every different animation tag as this would double the number of animations and as far as I know 255 animations are the limit.

Level 12
From what I know, it's not possible to let the model play two animations at the same time.

The only real way may be a seperate model to illustrate the cooldown.

Thx for the feedback. Mind though that I did not specificially ask how to play two animations at once. Every trick that achieves the goal is sufficient.

Level 9
I am not sure if it's possible to let an animation change the texture, but I think it is.

If it's possible, then you need two animation for every texture/icon. One normal and one with cooldown.

About the different cooldown lenght, I think there is a trigger where you can change the speed of an animation. With some math you should be able to calculate exaxt animation speed.

Level 29
You can have a separate model that is a programmable cooldown, and have it overlay your icons.
That is, it is just a cooldown animation, and you can set its animation speed at run-time.
This is in fact how cooldowns are implemented in the game's UI (see ui/feedback/cooldown/ui-cooldown-indicator.mdx).

Level 12
You can have a separate model that is a programmable cooldown, and have it overlay your icons.
Thank you but I know that. So you're telling me it's impossible in one model/unit?
That is, it is just a cooldown animation, and you can set its animation speed at run-time.
Setting animation speed is no alternative for me, it seems to behave strangely for very small values when you don't look at it(/when it's not rendered?). But that's no problem, I will just implement different cd animations.
This is in fact how cooldowns are implemented in the game's UI (see ui/feedback/cooldown/ui-cooldown-indicator.mdx).
Yep, I had a look at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.