• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Survey!

How would you describe your modeling ?

• I model for both Sc2/HotS & Wc3

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I only model for Sc2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I model for Wc3 but I would like to learn how to model for Sc2

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I only model for Wc3

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I do modeling but for other games.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's a set of questions that I want you you guys to answer in order help you guys improve your modeling and check which tools/tutorials you may need.

I need answers to this questions:

Which modeling & painting tools do you use?

Have you any knowledge of non digital art skills? Which?

What's the hardest part to do for you on the modeling process (example: modeling, painting, unwrapping, animation, effects) & Why

Level 50
Okay, I only model for Warcraft.
I use Milkshape, MDlvis and magos as a working tools.
The hardest part in modeling for me is making heads/faces, maybe it will sound wierd to someone but yeah, that's my problem. And, ofc, animating. I tried several times to animate and it worked in some programs, the animation was good but it looked bad in magos. And I didn't quite worked with the effects and I cannot say that they are my problem.

Have you guys tried 3d painting on zBrush or Quixel Suite?

I've found both to make painting way more enjoyable.

About animation: The Animator's Survival kit by Richard Williams should help out.

About face modeling: on box modeling it can be quite annoying, since you must either add edge loops and keep fixing detail or go with edge extruding magic. Normaly, sculping and retopologizing is easier. Blender has very good sculping capabilities and is a better solution to milkshape. Sculptris is another free option: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/.

Last edited:
Level 21
Where is N model for WcIII and other games?I do for Warcraft but I have created for Skyrim and Oblivion as well

1. Mdlvis, Magos, Blender For now (And a Lil of Matrix Eater sometimes) with milkshape 3d for converting
For 2D, I mostly use photoshop, couldnt get use to paint tool sai :V
I wanna learn SC2 modeling, BUT, I no starcraft, plus, warcraft is like the only game that can play on my computer (Laptop) less lag plus won't "burn"
I will definitely go to 3ds Max (For Warcraft modding), and 3ds Maya in future
I wish to Play with ZBrush, they looks fun, but no have computer enough powerful for it (I think?)
My computer just too weak for them now, Take ages to load them and Lags like hell :p (3DS MAX)

Tried to Explore abit of sculpting in blender, My laptop hang like 1 minute every swipe, can't even explore it

2. Hmm... I don't know? I love drawing, Learning some basic designs in college. thats what i know :V

3. Unwrapping is the least fun for me, and is actually very demotivate me (Procrastinate the Most in this stage), and quite hard for me, the next would be texturing, as I do not have much experience on it due to playing with too much ingame texture, still trying to make my 1st successful model with custom texture. The next would be Ribbons (I HAVE 0 IDEA HOW TO USE EM), Effects for warcraft, I could play out at least something, but is also something i am extremely weak at. (But at least i can create something). And then would be Animation, It's Quite challenging but is the most fun+frustrating part, Hopefully one day i can move to 3ds max and use IK bones, Been staring at the foot in MDLVIS all the time, And the BES part is modeling (I use Box modeling) hopefully one day i could go to sculpting.

Hopefully I can step out from warcraft and do something more advance in future :p

Status
Not open for further replies.