• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mdlvis - What do you use it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello,
I started modeling a few months ago, cause I never found the models I needed for my maps...
Now I use mdlvis for everything,
I know that most people here use 3dsMax, but I have neither the money to buy it nor the motivation to learn how to use it, a few years ago I tried modeling for Oblivion with blender, but blender models are very difficult to import and can't be animated there so I thought it was stupid to have that much work,
Now I never really tried to model for wc3, cause of that, but then I saw mdlvis,
And realised that (expect for cameras and collision) it got everything I need to create my characters.
While Magos does often corrupt my files, or does not work properly I never had problems with mdlvis in any way...

Soo, what do you guys think about mdlvis? why do most people not use it?
If you use it, what parts of your models do you edit with it?

PS: If there are any problems with mdlvis I did not find so far, I'd be glad if you could tell me why I'm stupid :D

Level 22
I think Mdlvis is the best software for WC3 modelling.
I discovered it only a few years ago, and it can do almost everything: mesh, UV wrap, bone rigging, animation.
I now use it along with Magos, which is better for node manager (bone hierarchy, particles, events, etc) and for materials.
However Mdlvis is quite buggy especially in animation mode, so i suggest you save often to avoid losing hours of work in case of bug. Also closing/restarting it regularly can help limiting those bugs.

Basically, what Fred said.
Mdlvis is great for mesh editing, uv wrapping, bone management and animation.
Magos is obviously better in managing nodes (lights, particles, ribbons, omnilights, splats, sounds, etc.), and materials, along with some minor finishing touch-ups that should be added to every model.

Using them together gives very satisfying results.

However, there is a problem in Mdlvis, which causes bones to act strange. I didn't find out exactly when it occurs, but it simply does.
And by the way, Magos doesn't corrupt models. It asks for perfection (or something damn close to it) when using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.