• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Geosets for real-time attachment application (based on Villager model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
On this thread I will both share with you some models which will make making attachments for the villager easier and I will show you how to make the dummy models yourself for ANY model you want to make an attachment for!

First let me explain the point of these models.

HeadRefGeoset_zps1fe7e7a1.png

These models (which I am calling attachment Ref Models for now) are simple models that have been moved to make one of its attachment points move to the pivot point of the whole model.

This allows you to both size a model around the attachment ref model’s geoset and at the same time correctly place it EXACTLY how you want it to be in game on the model.

You will not have to continually upload your attachment to see if it sits right anymore on the model, which can save you time and will allow you more accuracy in your placement of the attachment.

Now I can easily share how to make one yourself for any models you want to make attachments for!

(all you will need is Magos War3 Model Editor and a little bit of basic knowledge about it)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/war3-model-editor-62876/

Now, start by opening up the model you wish to make an attachment ref dummy model of.

(this step is not required at all): if you like you can delete any excess geosets on the model that might be annoying and take up space such as a corpse. For example I have removed the corpse and mining pick from the villager models I have made.

Stap 1: select the entire model in the model editor window

Step1_zps4cf8584f.png

Step 2: Open the node manager and find the attachment point you would like to make an attachment for (it will be called something like Name – Ref). Right click on it and hit edit node to open a new window (edit and edit node are not the same).

Step2_zpsaa8372a4.png

Step 3: In the new window will be some fields as well as some strings of numbers with X: Y: and Z: next to them. These are the attachment point’s translation from the pivot point of the model.

With this window open click transformations on the top left of the model editor window and select Translation. Enter the fields into the new window and then be sure to add a – in front of the fields that don’t have one and remove the – from any fields that does have it. This is so we reverse the translation the attachment point has from the pivot point of the model hence moving the model to were the attachment point is now directly on the pivot point.

Step3_zps298dd038.png

Step 4: Hit apply and close the Edit Node window. You are now ready to save and use your model to make attachments around!!!

Step4_zpsbb6ea2c3.png

I hope people will find both the models and the tutorial helpful. : )

Attachments

• VillagerMan Chest Ref.mdx
    163.5 KB · Views: 285
  • VillagerMan Foot Left Ref.mdx
    163.5 KB · Views: 248
  • VillagerMan Foot Right Ref.mdx
    163.5 KB · Views: 258
  • VillagerMan Hand Right Ref.mdx
    163.5 KB · Views: 244
  • VillagerMan Hand Left Ref.mdx
    163.5 KB · Views: 251
  • VillagerMan Head Ref.mdx
    163.5 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Level 10
Yea it is nice idea, I also used it few years ago. By the way I think u sude make this in 3ds max or Gmax and add poses (like right hand) to layers, because most of the modelers usually create attachments in 3d modeling softwares.

Level 14
thank you

Yea it is nice idea, I also used it few years ago. By the way I think u sude make this in 3ds max or Gmax and add poses (like right hand) to layers, because most of the modelers usually create attachments in 3d modeling softwares.

I myself make models in Gmax, but I have to take it out once i am done anyway so I just size and position it in Magos. also I do not think you can get Warcraft 3 models into Gmax and I would have no clue how to do it in another program XD.

TY for your comments!

Level 14
Sure thing!

@ Pharaoh_
Thanks a bunch! ^_^

@ GhostWolf :ogre_haosis:
Ok, sure. I will try to explain it quickly and clearly.

It is best to explain this with an example, so here is one: when you model a model around the mashes that have been moved to make a certain attachment point move to the pivot point of the model, your model will be in the exact place in game on the model as you place it on the model in the editor. For example here is a picture of the black mage hat I just made on the head ref model inside Magos.

Explain1_zps5092f37f.png

See how it is exactly on the head (and although one might not notice, it is placed EXACTLY on the model there as it is in game). Now, to show you the difference here is the black mage hat with the normal villager model.
See how it is all the way by the feet? This means if I positioned it on that model it would not be in the right spot for in game attachment.

Explain2_zps9d4a3e50.png

There is an alternative way to do this which I would recommend for when you only make one attachment for a model (although this way you might find faster as it saves bits of time if you continue to make attachments for the same model, which the villager model is a great example)

The other way you could position your model would be to just size it around the normal model you wish to attach it to in game (for example, If I made my black mage hat on the normal villager geoset which would be too high and float off the head of the villager in game) and then as shown in the tutorial open up the node of the attachment point which you are attaching it to in the editor and instead of translocate-ing the villager, translocate your attachment to affectively put it in the right spot the same way you would with the villager.

How using these models when you continually make attachments saves you time is that instead of opening up the node manager and translocate-ing your attachments once you are done with them every time, you can just model them around the geoset which has been moved into the right position already and save yourself a few extra steps (saving a bit of time).

I hope that was a better explanation. : )

P.s the head attachment might not have been a great example picture to show the change in positioning since the attachment point for the head seems to be in the villagers neck lol.

Level 14
mhm

I'm sorry : (, I am not quite sure you understand.

not sure if you make models or not, but I am not making attachment points, I am showing a way to quickly make a dummy unit to make it easier to make attachments for a unit (or in better words, size and position / size while positioning an attach onto a unit).

that and I was sharing the dummy units I made for the villager which has the most attachment made for it. just so people could save some of their time : ).

I am sure any who make attachments will understand it.

Well, as far as I can see, you are making attachment points, except in a weird/convoluted way.
Why not just make normal attachment points?
These models are just made so that a certain attachment point MATCHES the pivot point of the model (because in most model editors you can't see the attachment points), so you can import it into your model editor (In my case milkshape), model your attachment around it, delete the dummy model and save only the attachment without needing to scale and position it first, since it is already based on the attachment point (or the pivot point of the model, since they match) of the unit.
Good thing milkshape can hide certain geosets, otherwise it would have been a mess to model around the villager model.

Level 29
These models are just made so that a certain attachment point MATCHES the pivot point of the model (because in most model editors you can't see the attachment points), so you can import it into your model editor (In my case milkshape), model your attachment around it, delete the dummy model and save only the attachment without needing to scale and position it first, since it is already based on the attachment point (or the pivot point of the model, since they match) of the unit.
Good thing milkshape can hide certain geosets, otherwise it would have been a mess to model around the villager model.

Ah I see, so it's just because the bad community made programs don't support attachments.

Ah I see, so it's just because the bad community made programs don't support attachments.
Don't insult the Warcraft III community, it is one of the best gaming communites there is. And thus, milkshape was not made for Warcraft III, but for all old games that allow modding, nor it was made by the Warcraft III community. Thus it is a great program if we exclude a few things.
And in which "non-bad" modelling program (by your standards) can you see the attachment points?

Level 14
: )

I have blender but its not exactly the simplest of programs... and 3DS max is not exactly free, or cheap. one of the other best ones would be maya but that's not free or cheap either.

there is no need to really argue though, this is only something to save the people who use the free and simple programs time.

I still thank you for your comments ^_^, but I think this conversation can come to an end. ty

Status
Not open for further replies.