• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to export a model from GMAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I am new to GMAX, I used NeoDex export feature, and when it "exported successfully" I couldnt find the model anywhere. I can't grab it with YAGG because YAGG cant find it anywhere on my computer where it saved.

When I used DeX run script and clicked print to listener, then clicked export and it says again "click print to listener".

The texture has no alpha channel and model has no anims, will it work ingame?

good old DeX is not compatible with NeoDex.

NeoDex just like old Dexporter, prints the model into the listener for GMAX. The thing is that GMAX has some limits for copy pasting the data in it so you need YAGG.

YAGG, if you installed correctly, should be somewhere in your hardrive, probably main harddrive or program files folder.

The idea to export in GMAX is that:
1st You setup your model as explained for NeoDex.
2nd You run the exporter and hit Export.
3rd You do 1 of this two options: use YAGG or copy / paste the listener by chunks (ctrl a + ctrl x)
4th Save the model as .mdl.
5th Convert it to .mdx.

Btw, update to NeoDex 2.65. It works a LOT better on GMAX.

Last edited:
Level 12
1. I clicked grab in YAGG to search for exported model several times, you didn't say where the model should be exported or maybe I installed some other type of YAGG. It makes no sense.

2. I opened the listener clicked (Ctrl A then Ctrl X) and the text disappeared.

4th Save the model as .mdl.

How? With what?

Don't be silly, you don't search with grab. You save your model with it.

Let me explain you the GMAX export process:

1st GMAX is a tool based on 3ds max with a set of limitations so it's not used for commercial purposes. For this reason GMAX can't export directly.

What NeoDex does is write the file into GMAX's listener. When you run YAGG and do grab, what it does is infiltrate into GMAX's memory, find the file written in the listener and extract it, then it asks you how you want to save it.

So if you got YAGG working, do this:
1st export the model using NeoDex.
2nd run YAGG and click grab.
3rd Write your file as MyModel.mdl
4th Open with mago's Model Editor.
5th Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.