• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animation - Lock Unit's head to face Unit (How to make it work?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, first off, I checked the *.mdl file, and it has:
Bone "ValveBiped.Bip01_Head1". So, I guess it does have a head bone reference.
It had no head attachment, so I added one through Notepad. I added the attachment as follows:
}
Attachment "Head Ref" {
ObjectId 23,
Parent 1,
}
Well, the Parent 1 is the parent object I found on the head bone, mentioned above and the ObjectId is 23, because the previous attachment points were placed in ascending order, starting with 20, so I guess this would go 23.
Now, what's the issue:
The attachment point is not fully created; if I use a special effect on "head" attachment point, it creates it on the origin of the model, as if the bones don't follow an organised structure.
What else the problem could be?
I even tried in the Object Editor filling the fields:
(1) "Art - Required Animation names - Attachments" & (2) "Art - Required Attachments Link Points" & (3) "Art - Required Bone names", with the values (1) head, (3) head1 (the final part of the head bone I mentioned before) and still, I get nothing.

This has nothing to do with attachments.
There are some internal bone names that are used by the Warcraft engine in-game, examples of these are bone_head and bone_turret. (bone_head is used in that body-part facing issue and bone_turret always face the unit being attacked, such as cannon tower)

The problem there is named ValveBiped.Bip01_Head1. Change this bone's name to bone_head and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.