• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swimming Animations (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've been working on the Animation Bank lately, so I started today preparing my first share and the standard rigg for the bank 8accessable for everyone in both IK & FK and for both NeoDex & ArtTools).

About my share:

well I was thinking, which animations are important and blizzard didn't make any? after a little bit of thinking I found many possible sets to make, but the most challenging ones I found were humanoid swimming animations.

until now this is what I got, these are my first swim animations so don't be mean (>' ')>:

At start I made 2 fast Stands and I couldn't decide which to take. Don't know which is more realistic so we will call them Stand and Stand Alternate.

Stand:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Let's call the other Stand Alternate:
attachment.php

attachment.php

And now a simple Walk I made. It's the Crol style for now, I'm thinking on making the 4 styles, but for now I'll only make 2: Crol and Breaststroke.

attachment.php

attachment.php

EDIT: ok, made BreastStroke Walk as well.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Note:
The animations presented above are quite far from finished, no interpoltion fixings and other extras have been made as of now, they also require extra tweekings and fixing oto reproduce a more realistic movement: example feet in crol.

Attachments

• Swim1.gif
    Swim1.gif
    520.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Swim1_2.gif
    Swim1_2.gif
    536.4 KB · Views: 993
  • Swim2.gif
    Swim2.gif
    656.6 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Swim2_2.gif
    Swim2_2.gif
    421.4 KB · Views: 858
  • Swim_Move1.gif
    Swim_Move1.gif
    496.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • Swim_Move2.gif
    Swim_Move2.gif
    488.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • BreastStroke1.gif
    BreastStroke1.gif
    558.7 KB · Views: 1,583
  • BreastStroke2.gif
    BreastStroke2.gif
    299.3 KB · Views: 2,043
Last edited:
Yes. Those are sexy animations. (Will be extremely useful.) I have never seen anyone float while doing somthing like the stand alternate though, he looks like he is going to sink under soon XD

~Asomath

you know I took that Idea at looking at Zelda TP. I took link and went to lake hylia, put him on water and looked at the animation. I was like :O.

very neat.

ok, added one more animation, BreastStroke Walk. I think that's all for today.

Any suggestions for attacks and deaths? I was thinking on making multiple attacks and stand animations since this animation sety is one of a kind, it would be sad if all the swimmers out there would use the same walk, attack and death.

His head bobs too much in the breast stroke. It's too much vertical at one point in anim.

Arms in stand alternate look awfully loose.

Still, looks great.

Death - sinking, duh!
Attack - Overhead swing in present Stand anim. (1 arme'd)

the head is suppose to be vertical in breaststroke, and well it only goes out at the braze which is the moment where it has to pop. Yet, I think I get what you mean, I think that lil pop is a bit exagerated.

about the stand alternate, I completely agree with you. However, I not even visualized that animation it was just a random shoot, so I think I'll remake the arms or look for something better.

EDIT:

wait- ships sink, not humans, humans just get drown and are left there as floating bodies.

Level 24
the head is suppose to be vertical in breaststroke, and well it only goes out at the braze which is the moment where it has to pop. Yet, I think I get what you mean, I think that lil pop is a bit exagerated.

It's supposed to maintain more of a forward motion throughout, going with the stroke.

wait- ships sink, not humans, humans just get drown and are left there as floating bodies.

Depends on the human, really. Lack of air lifting can lead to an equilibrium being reached at a point under-water.

It's supposed to maintain more of a forward motion throughout, going with the stroke.

if I do that then he wouldn't breath air. Trust me man, I know what I'm doing, I was in the swimming team when I was at school.

Depends on the human, really. Lack of air lifting can lead to an equilibrium being reached at a point under-water.

a full flesh human body will never have a density higher than that of water, unless the lungs get filled with water. But that won't happen because the guy be attacked, therefore a floating body should be left.

Last edited:
BlinkBoy, it's Warcraft. Not maths. So I think you should just stick with the way Blizzard did it.

nah, I don't copycat them, copycats normally turn into an epic fail. I'll do as I think it's best as an artist.

Plus blizzard's intuitive way of making a walk swim animation for the murloc was copy the land walk and make the murloc do it but in water with some particles.

Level 14
Fuck, this sucks, I can’t sleep, because of pain. I'll let my friends on the hive keep me company.

Anyway, yeah Blinkboy is totally right.

However, the body will sink once tissue deteriorates and it becomes waterlogged.

~Asomath

Level 14
On the very firts animated gif, there is a dead moment, try to get rid of it.
The stand alternate, I don't really see an actuall need for that
On the breaststrike, the moment the head goes up, again a dead moment, push the arms lower.
But that is just my opinion, the rest, looks awsem

T.

Animations loop. The "Dead" moment is just when the animation restarts in the model editor.

~Asomath

Level 7

about the stand alternate, I completely agree with you. However, I not even visualized that animation it was just a random shoot, so I think I'll remake the arms or look for something better.

EDIT:

death animation should be something like in titanic when dicaprio dies :_D

or like in the cliffhanger movie when that woman falls:)razz:) in the start :D,
with her hands swinging over her head

Level 13
Usefull, Nice, w00t.

This would be a great model for a cinematic like "When Sharks Attack" or sumthin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.