• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing/Exporting Object Data from WE

Level 8
Importing/Exporting Data from WE

This is a tutorial to teach you how to import or export content from the World Editor. The steps are easy and dont take much time to finish.

Exporting Objects
Exporting objects is used either to have a backup for the objects you created in a map or to transfer them to another map. Here are the steps to do so :

1. Open the Object Editor Window (or press F6)
  2. Click on the toolbar the button 'Files'
  3. Click on the list the button Export All Objects
  4. Save the file anywhere you want

152220d1455154469-how-copy-map-data-base-untitled.jpg

This was all. You exported all the custom contents about objects.

Importing Objects
There are two ways to import objects. There is the singe import and the multiple import.

Single Import

1. Open the Import Manager Window (or press F12)
  2. Right click in the window and from the list press Import File (or files if you extracted from another map)

Multiple Import

NOTE : The multiple import is basically importing immediately in the object editor. It imports only custom exported files ( ... )

1. Open the Object Editor Window (or press F6)
  3. Click on the list the button Import All Objects
  4. Choose the file you want to import.

Exporting Triggers

If you want to export some triggers, either to put them on other maps or just to work them out, use the following steps

NOTE : When Exporting triggers, two files will appear : the <name>.wtg and <name>.wct
NOTE : The file that can only be imported is the .wtg. Dont delete the wct file, becouse it might call problems importing the wtg file.

1. Open the Trigger Editor Window
  3. Click on the list the button Export Triggers
  4. Save the triggers somewhere, where you want

152221d1455154469-how-copy-map-data-base-untitled2.jpg

Importing Triggers

To import triggers works the same as Importing generally objects and object packs. The triggers filetype is .wtg and wct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
Shouldn't people obviously know how to do this? And in another way to import/export things, is using WEU, but only becareful, as when you import the stuff you exported in WEU will remove all the things that you put in your map already and then just put the stuff you imported in there.

Yeah... Most people know it. But if some newbies that are totally new to WE and dont know how to import stuff in ?

Level 40
Due to lack of activity, I take it this won't be updated again.

However, I feel it's good as it is. I added
  • tags, but otherwise the tutorial has been left as it is.

~Approved.

Oh, and here is the original in case you prefer it. (in noparse tags for easy copying)

[SIZE="5"][B]Importing/Exporting Data from WE[/B][/SIZE]

This is a tutorial to teach you how to import or export content from the World Editor. The steps are easy and dont take much time to finish.

[U][FONT="System"]Exporting Objects[/FONT][/U]
    Exporting objects is used either to have a backup for the objects you created in a map or to transfer them to another map. Here are the steps to do so :

[COLOR="darkorchid"]1st[/COLOR] - Open the Object Editor Window (or press F6)
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]2nd[/COLOR] - Click on the toolbar the button 'Files'
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]3rd[/COLOR] - Click on the list the button Export All Objects
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]4th[/COLOR] - Save the file anywhere you want

This was all. You exported all the custom contents about objects.

[U][FONT="System"]Importing Objects[/FONT][/U]
    There are two ways to import objects. There is the singe import and the multiple import.

[I]Single Import[/I]

[COLOR="darkorchid"]1st[/COLOR] - Open the Import Manager Window (or press F12)
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]2nd[/COLOR] - Right click in the window and from the list press Import File (or files if you extracted from another map)

[I]Multiple Import[/I]

[COLOR="royalblue"]NOTE :[/COLOR] The multiple import is basically importing immediately in the object editor. It imports only custom exported files ( ... )

[COLOR="darkorchid"]1st[/COLOR] - Open the Object Editor Window (or press F6)
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]2nd[/COLOR] - Click on the toolbar the button 'Files'
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]3rd[/COLOR] - Click on the list the button Import All Objects
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]4th[/COLOR] - Choose the file you want to import.

[FONT="System"][U]Exporting Triggers[/U][/FONT]

If you want to export some triggers, either to put them on other maps or just to work them out, use the following steps

[COLOR="royalblue"]NOTE :[/COLOR] When Exporting triggers, two files will appear : the <name>.wtg and <name>.wct
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NOTE :[/COLOR] The file that can only be imported is the .wtg. Dont delete the wct file, becouse it might call problems importing the wtg file.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]1st [/COLOR]- Open the Trigger Editor Window
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]2nd [/COLOR]- Click on the toolbar the button 'Files'
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]3rd [/COLOR]- Click on the list the button Export Triggers
    [COLOR="darkorchid"]4th[/COLOR] - Save the triggers somewhere, where you want

[FONT="System"][U]Importing Triggers[/U][/FONT]

To import triggers works the same as Importing generally objects and object packs. The triggers filetype is .wtg and wct.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Completed

Level 2
Yeah... Most people know it. But if some newbies that are totally new to WE and dont know how to import stuff in ?

yeah... like me :croll: ...im trying to create a map but since i dont know how to import models can anyone help me :croll: ...pls :grin: u see i have a problem with importing the bloodelf hero ranger i import it but it says could not import file...so...um...can u guys help me :grin:

Level 1
I need to make a custom unit sound set out of imported sounds.

My task is to create a custom unit sound set. I recorded my own phrases (yes, I know, most people suck at voice acting, including me), and I want to import them and use them as the unit's normal sound set. A few things are really confusing me, though. One thing is that units have different types of phrases; 3 for moving to somewhere, 3 for attacking, 3 for selecting them, and usually some more interesting phrases once you've clicked on them more than 3 times. But where do I categorize the different groups? And, more importantly, how do I even assign a unit the recorded phrases that I've imported into the Sound Editor?

Yeah, you're probably thinking, 'what a noob you are', but I'm sorry. I've done tons of things with WE, but never this. Anyway, once I make the imported sounds variables, what Effect do I set it to (for a sound set): Default, one of those other ones, or Hero Speech? Then, what Channel (again, for a sound set): General, Unit Selection, Unit Acknowledgment, Unit Movement, Unit Ready, Combat, Error, Music, User Interface, Looping Movement, Looping Ambient, Animations, Construction, Birth, or Fire? A lot of choices. I don't know which ones will work. Now then, a few last questions. Can I apply 'Hero Speech' type sounds to normal units? And what's the difference between 'Unit Selection', 'Unit Acknowledgment', and 'Unit Ready'?

I know, I'm asking a lot of questions at once. But please help, and thank you.

Thanks! I've added those two to the main post.

Glad to help. I recently saw a post about importing/exporting sound files so that they stay associated with voice sound sets. It seemed a bit more advanced but maybe that should be added to this tutorial as well. This comes in handy when you want to switch terrains. It's often easier then copying all doodads, etc. But if there is custom sound sets, what is written above is not enough. This tutorial is very useful though. I found it because I have explained this several times now and went to write one so I could link to it. I was pleased to find that I could save myself the time.