• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to give good Critique

Ash

Ash

Level 22
When people submit maps, the last thing they want is a comment that says 'Crap Map!', or indeed 'good map!', as that doesn't help them improve at all. Although, I must say I'd prefer the latter to the former. In this tutorial I'm going to attempt to explain how to write a good review, showing both good and bad examples (that I've wrote).

The first step in writing a review is describing what it is and it's topic. For example, if you were to review the map 'DotA', it would be appropriate to write with the sense that the reader knows nothing about the map, however highly unlikely that is. This means that you'll have to write a bit about who the map creator is -- although, if you're reviewing the map on the hive you can skip that -- and what the map is. For example:

'Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is the product of a map maker that goes by the name of 'IceFrog'. In the map your aim is to destroy the other team's 'main building' (I.E The Tree of Life/The Frozen Throne) and defeat the other team of heroes in the process.

The hard part of writing this is when you are reviewing maps with a storyline. For example, the Warcraft 3 Campaign. It would be improper to reveal the details of the invasion by the Burning Legion, and also improper to say that no twists happen at all. A good trick is to reveal the first chapter or so, and then mention that the game contains several twists and turns. A good and bad example follow:

BAD said:
The game Warcraft III, by Blizzard, has a very shocking storyline. Halfway through the game the burning legion invades and pushes humanity to the brink of extinction, and Arthas turns evil.

GOOD said:
The game Warcraft III, by Blizzard Entertainment, is one of my personal favorites. The campaign, one of the many 'playing modes' within the game, is very entertaining. You begin the game as the Warchief 'Thrall' and lead your Orcish tribe to supposed freedom; however all is not as it seems, and there are several extremely shocking twists and turns that follow later.

Although, you have to bear in mind that your opening is summarizing the game, so you should keep things short and snappy in order to move onto your ideas; the review.

You then have two options, you can either continue to write about the Author and mention why he made the map, although this step applies mainly to films and literature. Or you can move on and comment on how the Author 'pulled off his map'. For example, using DotA again, you can do it like this:

Icefrog focused -- as do many other AoS's do -- more on the units and left the terrain extremely bland and, in some senses, highly lacking. However, the heroes colorful and imaginative abilities, somewhat, make up for this.

The items within the map are different to others in the sense that you can't just buy them; this prevents heroes from becoming unbalanced during the early stages of the game and allows for different hero 'focusing'. This means that players playing styles can be different, and not remain 'static' -- as most maps are -- in the sense that you can either be Strength, Agility or Intelligence.

Whilst you don't necessarily need to like the 'work' you're reviewing, you need to remember that criticism is more than complaint. Map makers have a limit of 3-4MB, just like Book Authors have limited pages and Artists have limited exhibit space, and everybody is constrained by finite time and the lack of resources (I.E Green Aliens with Laser guns for eyeballs, bet you won't find a model like that!). An easier way to explain this part would be to use a quote from my, now ex, English Teacher.

Before you ask that a Historian takes an extra task, you might have to think about what portions you could easily eliminate to make room. Before you complain that the Historian focuses more on a certain group of people, you have to ask if the other group left the records the Historian would need to write about them. When you write, imagine that you're giving advice to the Historian about how to create a work similar to the one you're reviewing. What constructive lessons can you provide?

The important thing to remember is that a map is a tool with a specific function. To evaluate the tool, you must first understand the function. And having done that, you must explain it to your reader, answering the question, what is this map good for? Along the way, you will find yourself ripping the map apart to see how it works, imagining how it could have been created differently, seeing it from the author's point of view, and, perhaps, comparing it to other works. And that is critical reading.

Of course you have to state the parts that don't work, but you don't have to be a complete jerkoff about it. Just keep things formal and speak with the intent of weighing up both the good and bad sides of things.

In closing, a review should consist of an opening in which you introduce the map, a middle in which you state good and bad points, and a ending in which you state how you think the Creator did overall. The key points to remember are to be concise, to evaluate alternate explanations (I.E look at things from the other side, an example being DotA lovers and haters) and don't try to appease everyone. Sure enough you can be the friendliest person in the world, but it's not going to help the map creator. Sometimes you have to tell him that parts he's done just doesn't work.

I hope that with this you will be able to criticize maps better than just saying 'yeah that was good 5/5' or 'nah, that really sucked. 1/5'.

Below is a review of DotA, mainly because I've used that as a running example throughout.

'Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is the product of a map maker that goes by the name of 'IceFrog'. In the map your aim is to destroy the other team's 'main building' (I.E The Tree of Life/The Frozen Throne) and defeat the other team of heroes in the process.

The map contains heavily customized heroes, units and items, yet falls tremendously short when it comes to terrain.

As does the balance. It's no secret that the Hero balance is about as good as a foot and a worm having a fight; you all know who's going to win. On top of that, many people choose to play the 'all pick' game mode and take the most unbalanced hero that they can find.

Which takes me onto my next point swiftly. The community within DotA is not friendly. The majority of players are young and spend their time playing the map as apposed to having any social life whatsoever. The other portion are elitist and play private leagues. The usual rule they have is if you fall under 'X' points, you're not allowed to play anymore. However, I should really keep things focused on the map itself because for all intent and purpose the DotA fanboys aren't part of the overall design.

The 'strong' items are interesting in the sense that you never really buy any, moreso you buy parts of them. This design allows for heroes to remain fairly balanced at the beginning of the game and lets individual players change their gaming style massively; you aren't just focused on being 'Strength, Agility and Intelligence'.

Whilst I'm talking about the heroes, I feel obliged to mention the abilities; woah. The skills that you learn with the heroes are heavily customized and are all fairly colorful and imaginative. No one hero shares the same abilities as others, and no one hero is, primarily, unbalanced. Most of that happens during the end game when the ultimates come into play and are mixed with the Staff of Godlike imbaness.

To tie things up; dota is a good map. Although it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The combination of items and abilities are somewhat overpowered, but one could say that with every map these days. And lets be honest, if the map wasn't fairly good then how on earth could it gain a place in several E-Sport leagues?

The above review was rather rushed, I'll admit. I'll tidy it up if anyone has any major beef with it, though. Just before I finish the guide, I should leave you this link. That leads to a man known as Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. His reviews are the perfect example of how to do it, and I recommend future-reviewers (yeah, thats you) to watch some of his stuff.

Last edited:
Level 1
you really put work in to that. however i find it sometimes easier to say what i like and dont like, and give it a rating. And Ben ''yathzee'' Crosshaw owns :)
I watch his zero punctuation reviews every wednesday.

->This is my first post so hi everyone :) <-

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash
Level 8
That makes no sence. If your being a complete dick by telling someone there recources suck, your saying it to their face. Whatever you say about a recource applies to the author.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Hardly; if I tell you your map sucks, then I'll provide ways to improve the map. Critique is harsh, yet if you take a personal grudge to it then you shouldn't be in the internet.

Drop your grudge before you make a larger fool of yourself?

Level 8
So if I sat here and told you your tutorial sucked. I learned nothing, don't post another cause you don't know what you are doing, you will seriously tell me that instead of writing notes to me to shut the hell up, you would ignore it and fix the tutorial with no hate?

tfr.didi

T

tfr.didi

The disadvantage of this type of Review/critique is that only someone can give it who knows a lot about the map. Playing a map with some friends for example dosen't tell you how the community is like.
Reviews of this type are really useful, but only for finished maps. Beta-Status-Maps don't need a review like this, there its enough, to list the bugs and improvements and probably rate them ;-). Only a well know nearly bugfree map is worthy of such a review.

Level 8
What makes you think I'm trying to best you? I'm trying to help you out, give advice through the eyes of the reader, the student. If you don't want any helpful oppinions, then just ignore the comment, not make thoughtless claims to try to make the other look like an ass. That is the kind of content that made me wonder how you wrote a tutorial on how to be nice to others.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Yes. If I actually cared about my maps, then I'd work to improve my map with the advice given.
So if I sat here and told you your tutorial sucked. I learned nothing, don't post another cause you don't know what you are doing, you will seriously tell me that instead of writing notes to me to shut the hell up, you would ignore it and fix the tutorial with no hate?
If you actually gave detailed, backed up reasons then yes, I would.
If I didn't?
Then I'd negate the statement and presume you're a dickhead on the grounds of it not being critique and, rather obviously, flame?
So include that in your tutorial.

There, log from above. Oh, and just for the lulz...

What? You are making no fuck sence!

/lol. Now stop sageing my thread.

Level 13
I cant see why some people say this is a good tutorial. "Flaming" the greatest map on bnet (dota), which is extremely well made map.

First of all I wouldnt say its imbalanced. Every hero has differend play styles and some are better in 1v1 and some are better in 5v5. Also some heroes are rather weak in start but can become hugely strong in late game.

and even if it took some ideas from other maps, it only made them better (no offence, but tides of blood was boring).

critic is indeed good for maps, but seriously i see dota as the best map in bnet (even tought i hardly play it)

ps. I really think you are the one who cant take the critic in your oppinions.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Sorry, but the example you give at the end is just not ... as good as you think it is. I'll break it down for you because you are going to update the tutorial, so that might be helpful.

It lacks description of fundamental mechanics in the core game, like lanes, respawning, creeps, towers, etc.. Just as a quick reference to why this is not sufficient, consider the following: this description would also apply to a siege/castle defense game. Reading this description alone will not tell you what genre exactly you are expecting.
Also, you can consider the basic Wc3 map genres general knowledge; no need to state the obvious again. Everyone knows what an AoS map is.

The map contains heavily customized heroes, units and items, yet falls tremendously short when it comes to terrain.
"Heavily customized heroes, units and items" is not a rating, it's a fact, so you basicly mix a fact with a personal rating. Also, you switch topics in the middle of a sentence, which is just confusing as hell.
Better: "The huge selection of original heroes, units and items provides an enormous amount of replayability and lots of content to explore. However, due to the sheer mass of options, the learning curve is steep and new players tend to get overwhelmed. The author should focus on making the game more accessable by providing a tutorial mode or artifically limiting the selection of items and heroes at first."
With this, not only do you shed a light on both sides of the coin, but you also provide constructive criticism on what should be improved. Everything is also focused on one topic instead of jumping around between gameplay and visual art style like terrain.

As does the balance. It's no secret that the Hero balance is about as good as a foot and a worm having a fight; you all know who's going to win. On top of that, many people choose to play the 'all pick' game mode and take the most unbalanced hero that they can find.
Criticism of the playerbase in a review is a fallacy. It's like saying WoW is a shit game because the community is crap (oh, how often I heard that...). Obviously, a game creator can not control his community (and even if they could, they have no intention on doing so).

In the above example, provide clear examples on why you think the balance does not live up to standards. Throwing this around without examples is just plain ranting. Balance is a very subjective. A review should provide enough information for the reader to critically evaluate the point of the reviewer and build his own oppinion based on that.
State some clear facts and let the reader decide on it's own if the balance is really out of whack based on those examples.

Which takes me onto my next point swiftly. The community within DotA is not friendly. The majority of players are young and spend their time playing the map as apposed to having any social life whatsoever. The other portion are elitist and play private leagues. The usual rule they have is if you fall under 'X' points, you're not allowed to play anymore. However, I should really keep things focused on the map itself because for all intent and purpose the DotA fanboys aren't part of the overall design.
Again, the community rant fallacy.

The 'strong' items are interesting in the sense that you never really buy any, moreso you buy parts of them. This design allows for heroes to remain fairly balanced at the beginning of the game and lets individual players change their gaming style massively; you aren't just focused on being 'Strength, Agility and Intelligence'.
This is a fact, not an oppinion. This belongs to the game description on the top of the review. Also, I have no clue what you mean with "you aren't just focused on being Strength, Agility or Intelligence". How can I "be" an attribute? That whole sentence makes absolutely no sense.
Also, there are downsides to the item crafting in DotA, which you should mention for a balanced review, especially new players getting overwhelmed by the amount of options.

Whilst I'm talking about the heroes, I feel obliged to mention the abilities; woah. The skills that you learn with the heroes are heavily customized and are all fairly colorful and imaginative. No one hero shares the same abilities as others, and no one hero is, primarily, unbalanced. Most of that happens during the end game when the ultimates come into play and are mixed with the Staff of Godlike imbaness.
This should be part of a balance discussion in the review. It feels completely out of place between another description of game mechanics and a community rant. Your whole review lacks structure and a red line to follow, as you jump topics furiously.
Also, didn't you just say the balance sucks? Now it's suddenly great? I'm confused.

To tie things up; dota is a good map. Although it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be.
"I'm clearly better than you, so I downrate this universally critical acclaimed game for the fact alone that everyone loves it. I am such a rebel."

The combination of items and abilities are somewhat overpowered, but one could say that with every map these days.
"All maps suck nowadays, so this is no exception."
Yeah... sure. When did you say did you want to bring constructive criticism?

Also, mentioning a thoroughly discussed flaw again in the conclusion is bad style. Your average reader can remember this point you brought up one minute ago just fine. He's not an idiot.
A conclusion should summarize the review and give a personal rating, not re-state your issues with the game.

And lets be honest, if the map wasn't fairly good then how on earth could it gain a place in several E-Sport leagues?
This is probably the only part of this review example that readers would actually use to build their own oppinion.

Sorry for the deconstruction. Normally, I wouldn't do that, but this is a tutorial, not a random map review. A tutorial should provide a much better example than that.