• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

EotA: Twilight (v. 1.16c6)

Eve of the Apocalypse: Twilight

Looking for games?
Feel free to drop in the regular games on Sunday 4pm EST / 1pm PST on BNet East in Clan EotA.
You can also join the EotA steam group to receive alerts for organized games.
Eve of the Apocalypse: Twilight, often referred to as EotA, is an exceptional Aeon of Strife-style map with distinctive gameplay and custom graphical effects. In this epic clash for survival, two factions are at war over an ancient artifact of immense power, with the loser facing inevitable doom in the coming apocalypse. Strategy and teamwork will be necessary to ensure victory.

Features

• Five different battlefields with their own unique objective
  • Variety of map options to customize the playing experience, such as draft mode or changing the spawn rate
  • Decide which faction you belong to from the three different factions that have their own specialized units
  • 38 playable heroes with six custom skills each
  • Item tempering allows a simple, yet versatile way to gain stronger items
  • Emphasizes teamwork and assisting the team by coordinating with allies and supporting troops
  • Advanced computer AI to fill empty player slots or take over leavers
Quick Tips

• Use teleports at the various bases to quickly enter battle. Heal at fountains, tier 2, or tier 3 bases.
  • Type the "-zoom" command to have a wider view of the game. Recommended: "-zoom 2000"
  • Type the "-temper" ("-t") command to quickly upgrade items. "-temper x", where x is the slot of the item.
  • Enable all pick (AP) by having Random Races on. Cannot be used in single-player mode.
  • Enable draft mode by having Full Shared Unit Control enabled.
  • Enable random hero mode (AR) by having Random Hero enabled. This works with draft mode.
  • The difficulty set for the AI (Easy/Normal/Insane) affects how fast they level and their purchasing power for items.
  • Visit the wiki for more info!
Screenshots

Click to enlarge

Battlefields

Stormwail Peak - Battle for control over obelisks

Gloomreap Mire - Hire and defend Digmasters to harvest Gloomite for your team

Kedge's Landing - Seize the Moontear and control it until it is fully charged

Verdant Falls - Capture shrines when they activate by eliminating the enemy heroes

Candleburg - Push the Explosives Laden Zepplin into your opponent's base in this one lane map
Keywords:
EotA, Eve of the Apocalypse, Twilight, DarnYak
Contents

EotA: Twilight (v. 1.16c6) (Map)

Reviews
19:23, 3rd Jun 2008 Gilles: Amazing map. My personal favorite wc3 map to date. Although the AI could use some work.

M

19:23, 3rd Jun 2008
Gilles: Amazing map. My personal favorite wc3 map to date. Although the AI could use some work.

Level 3
Pretty ok map but...
1) "NOOB"-text is annoying. I can get rid of it myself but others often don't. On the other hand, if I don't want to upgrade scroll on the altar I still have to see that damn text flying around.
2) Lots of things to learn. Very confusing for the beginners. You should use Loading Screen space to tell goals, tips and tactics. Not to tell any damn story. Stories are secondary. The game itself is the main purpose. When the cinematic ends and game starts - nobody thinks about the story anymore.
3) Grim Hag's "Charge" ability is imbalanced. I can guess that there are lots of other abilities that needs also balancing.
4) The idea is pretty basic and very DotA-like. I am already bored of DotA which doesn't make this game any better. Don't clone DotA do new maps with new ideas.

Level 10
4) The idea is pretty basic and very DotA-like. I am already bored of DotA which doesn't make this game any better. Don't clone DotA do new maps with new ideas.
i think this is not like that. this is more fun, more challenge than DotA, and this map not clone DotA. this is aos map, and DotA is aos map too, so it may have any same gameplay, but not clone it.
anyway, nice map but it provide lag to me... 8/10

Level 5
Hey DarnYak, I haven't played this new version but I just wanted you to know that your map was one of the maps which inspired me to venture into the editor and make my map (A Land Divided AoS), which while I must say is likely nowhere near as intuitive as yours, I've grown pretty proud of. Your map was one of the few high quality AoS maps around when I couldn't stand to play DotA, and it's always been a blast. I'm going to try this new version straight away, and then give you a rating which I expect will be a 5, unless you updated with something that broke the map XD

Edit: Haha yep. Wow man, the last version of this map I'd played was 1.11e, and this latest change is what I call an UP-DATE. 5/5, absolutely. Can't wait to try out all these new classes :)

Last edited:
Level 1
uhm...
could u nerf Eidolon's shield spell? its way too overpowerd...
blocking dmg and uber hp with such a small cd and mana cost makes him nearly invincible..even at lvl 1 X_x

Level 34
lrn2ply

I'm kidding, I think it's a bit OP too, but there are definitely ways around it. Nuke it hard enough and it comes off pretty fast.

So what's up with this new Fel Orc I heard about on the eota forum? How do I get him?

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
You need to modify the additional settings before the game starts (before you begin hosting)

It's "random races" i believe (or is it random heroes...?)

The new heroes are nice, but I believe for the way eota is played eidolon is a little overpowered. Between it's shield and it's stump it can become nearly invincible.

I'd reccomend posting bugs or suggestions to the eota website though.

Level 1
lrn2ply

I'm kidding, I think it's a bit OP too, but there are definitely ways around it. Nuke it hard enough and it comes off pretty fast.

even if u do...due to its pretty short cooldown he can set up his shield again in no time so u need 2 or more heroes to kill him

Level 34
even if u do...due to its pretty short cooldown he can set up his shield again in no time so u need 2 or more heroes to kill him
I fought 1v1 with a friend, and he could fight me just fine. He had to revert to cheaper tactics since I could overpower him, but it all worked out in the end. He's a bit of an easy hero to play, but not necessarily OP. Or not that OP.

That new Hero seems more OP to me.

Level 1
I fought 1v1 with a friend, and he could fight me just fine. He had to revert to cheaper tactics since I could overpower him, but it all worked out in the end. He's a bit of an easy hero to play, but not necessarily OP. Or not that OP.

That new Hero seems more OP to me.

me and my friend fought against eidolon and couldnt kill him together...
and we are both aos veterans so...
hes just friggin lame if u buy as much int items as u can...

Level 34
The shield comes off without too much effort. It's the healing that I found useful. You can drop back and heal quickly. Although that requires you to escape. If you can keep up with him, he can't heal.

Although I haven't played online yet. I could be wrong.

Level 1
i played it online and...well...
breaking the shield isnt that a problem
its the heal AND the short cooldown which makes it so hard
u destroy his shield and woosh there it is again and u wasted your mana

Level 1
The name initially made me think it was another DotA wanna-be.
I was wrong.

It's well-made, with the separate map thing being a nice variant for gameplay. It's hard to say too much about it, as I haven't tested too much, but generally, it was quite fun.

Level 1
eidolons shield was bugged and should not make you any more nightmares :)

though you should also try the tyrant, who is really op in imo.

also go and play it online !

i use to play it quiet a lot myself online, but except for me i rarely see it hosted on bnet at all.

what surprises me, taking all that positive feedback into account.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
oh yea sorry I forgot to tell you all about that, as quitschi said, the problem with eidelon was his shield wasn't going away after it's cooldown faded, only it's fancy effects.

As a result players were able to stack his shield over and over and over again until he was near invincible.

If you play the newest version he should be fair.

Level 1
this map is very nice but there are some bugs here about the skill ravenous dive even you pick that spell you cannot use it so fix it up please

Level 13
I love this game :D

It's just awesome.

I once noticed a small bug :/

But I am not sure wether it is still there:

- When the arcane mistress (i think it was her) uses her ability which summons those ghosts and the targeted enemy uses invis at the right moment the ghosts will be there forever.

I only saw it once and maybe you noticed it too :/

Level 6
One thing that i would want to know about this newest update is this: Is Ascendant's only Death Blow spell fixed? That attack which he's supposed to swoop down and eat on an enemy, but when you try to cast it, it freezes into channeling forever if you don't press Stop. I would DAMN like to see it fixed.

Level 9
this map does totaly lack balancing.
only to count some examples: a load system (in an aos oO), heros that can jump over all the map. heros that can makle an enemy get stunned for 6 seconds whenever they cast a spell, flying heros and so on...

also performance is horrible. for me it goes well, but a friend of mine with a 4 year old pc cant play that map longer then 30 mins before it starts laggin like hell. (and he can play even "Age of Myths" smoothly)

the spells are nice, but some feel like being randomly attached to the heros.

terrain is nice

mhm tooltips do explain, but dont give a quik overview.

4/5, but only because of the size of the content

Last edited:
Level 15
I tried this map out long time ago, ill check if its the same much as previous.
The map gives players many variation to play, 5v5,4v4,3v3, so on, so forth.. due to the map size customization

Heroes are lacking some proper gameplay
Floating Texts are nice
I don't like the item upgrade, it's too much trouble
Hero talent is good but also troublesome

Overall, the map seems to lack a bit on some gameplay and fun, the chain is also not there. It has a very steep learning curve as well, I couldn't really figure it out in my first few matchs
I acknowledge the efforts of an epic map but there must be a focus in this map!

Level 10
Review

Please Note

This map review set-up is based on that created and used by Tank Commander,

I review maps that look interesting or promising. If you wish for me to review your map, or if notable changes have occured to a map I have already reviewed, then you may message me with a link to your map and I will review it within the next week.

Review Breakdown

(5 marks) - Terraining/Environment
(5 marks) - Triggering
(15 marks) - Gameplay
(10 marks) - Innovation/Originality
(5 marks) - Interface/Object Editor Work

Mark System

1-7 marks = (1) Poor quality map, unfit for the Hive (usually a beginners map)

8-14 marks = (2) The beginnings of a map are there, but it still needs work and is likely unfinished.

15-21 marks = (3) An adequate map, is fun for a game or two and functions.

22-28 marks = (4) Shows promise and has some interesting features; playability is high.

29-35 marks = (5) A fine example of Hive-quality; will keep you entertained for several games at least and updates are looked forward to.

35+ marks = (6) A simply brilliant warcraft map. Features are flawlessly implemented, code is legit, game is fun, and the constraints of
Warcraft 3 are challenged.

Subsection Review

Terraining (3/5) - Although several different terrains are selectable and the environments do support the large-scale combat ever-present in this game, the environment itself is plain and uninteresting.

Triggering (N/A) - Map is protected thus I will discount this category in my final score.

Gameplay (13/15) - Large-scale combat, rarely seen in AoS-style maps, can be found in each of the four different playable maps. The ability to build towers, capture obelisks, spawn additional creep types, upgrade some team buildings, capture gold mines, and spawn tribes of units gives the player immeasurable control over gameplay. A plethora of heroes (that can also be controlled via A.I.) are available with multiple abilities that can be upgraded through the spellbook as normal or through the special research station available to each player (which also grants attribute bonuses). My only complaints are that some aspects of gameplay need to be better explained or more intuitive and heroes need to be much more balanced.

Innovation/Originality (10/10) - A multitude of new ideas and concepts are present in this map which sets it apart from others of it s genre. Even those who loath AoS-style maps will find new light in this mod.

Interface/Object Editor Work (2/5) - Many item tooltips are vague (i.e. the orb that gives shockwave) and unlearned Hero abilities not only don't give numerical data to present how much damage or healing they do, but also do not include duration, cooldown, mana cost, or range.

Errors and Suggestions

- Make what the gloomite does and how to harvest it in the swamp map more clear.
- Write much more detailed tooltips for the spells.
- Re-work the hero abilities and give them more synergy.
- Remove the floating text above the shops; it just looks silly.

Final Review

Final Marking - (33/40)
Rating - (5)
Voted for - Approval
Rep Given? - Yes, an excellent map

Highest Rated Maps

N/A
My Maps

Last edited:
Level 7
This seems quite frozen right now, more updates of them map coming?

I have seem the whole map; is a masterpiece of triggers and terrain, also most heroes are balanced but there is a zone totally empty of the terrain...something could be done with it.

Level 1
Great Map Indeed

This map is by far the most interesting AoS I have ever played. The game mechanics, heroes, spells, etc. Simply amazing.

PS: Spells class (evocation, transmutation, etc), brings back old memories, hehe..:ogre_haosis:

Level 1
A revived project ? Or just a tiny update ? At any rate, sounds promising!

*testing*

Level 7
So this is the map I was thinking of. I remember playing this in a random B.net match a long time ago. To be honest, I was confused as to going on back then.

Here in the present though, I finally know the name of "that AoS map with multiple arenas". My bro and I played it over the LAN connection and... That was pretty darn fun! Good job man (or 'guys' if it was a team effort). :thumbs_up:

Level 7
IMO, the best, if not one of the best, AoS type maps out there. For one, it seems to have no influence from DotA (in a great way). Secondly, everything is epic...the arenas available, the heroes, the gameplay. Well, items not so much but they are simple enough for an inexperienced player. Wish more people played it though.

Level 6
it is realy great that you are still updating this map.
But your last update made the filename too long so that many people can not play it.
Just remove two characters.
Nothing's changed, it's had the same filename length for several years now, and it works fine in the default directory. Note that it depends on the entire file path (the folder name), so if you're putting it in some subfolder of a subfolder that could cause it. If, however, you are just using the WC3 default directory than I am baffled and would like to know more.

DarnYak