• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ring Out v2.3 AI+

235220-albums7395-picture85128.png

First of all, this game is my entry for Mini-mapping Contest #9: Map size Limited. It's a mini knockout arena game, takes place above a big iceberg. Where you must knock other players out from the arena by shooting them.

My mission is to form a simple yet entertaining gameplay. And also, I added any important features so that players don't have to re-create their room. They can customize match options in-game, they can arrange their team in-game, etc.​

235220-albums7395-picture85130.png

As have been said above, the gameplay is pretty simple. Just slide around while attacking other players. You can slide (accelerate) by right-clicking anywhere. Attack by pressing 'Q', braking 'W', and charging 'E'. Keep up your streak because you can earn more bonuses from it. There also available some snowmans that will bumps you out, become obstacles for you. You will earn bonuses by bumping your target to the snowman, and you will earn extra bonuses if you knock your enemy out after bumps. At the end, the main mission here is achieving highest score to win the match. Secondary, keep up nice statistics of yours.

Some specific informations about the gameplay (scoring method, etc.) are also available at in-game Read Me, just read them if you want to learn this game fast. There is also multi-leveled AI (Easy, Medium, Insane) that can accompany you anytime. More informations about them and other features will be available below at "Features" section.​

235220-albums7395-picture85129.png

235220-albums7395-picture85124.png

Not really, it will be challenging if only you play with Insane AI because they are beyond human. For specific informations about AI, please, check these tables below.
[TD] Easy AI
[TD] Normal AI
[TD] Insane AI
1/5
[tr]Braking[td]2/5
[tr]Agility[td]1/5
[tr]Aggressivity[td]2/5
[TD] Category [TD] Rate Accuracy
[tr][td]
[/TD]
3/5
[tr]Braking[td]4/5
[tr]Agility[td]3/5
[tr]Aggressivity[td]3/5
[tr][td]
[/TD]
5/5
[tr]Braking[td]5/5
[tr]Agility[td]4/5
[tr]Aggressivity[td]5/5
[tr][td]
[/TD]

I made Easy AI just for you who want to rage and kill. They are simply stupid and silly. But dunno why sometimes they can defeat normal AI. For Normal AI, I tried to make them equal to normal players and have similiar behavior with normal players too. But for Insane AI, they are a bit beyond human, they got insane handle, extremely aggressive, got high accuracy, etc. And you should know one thing about AI, they are always more consistant than you.​
235220-albums7395-picture85125.png

235220-albums7395-picture85150.jpg

Statistic board will be shown to you after a match is over. This board contains some informations of you and other players along the game. Including Total Rounds, Total Elapsed Gametime, Player Names, Total Kill, Total Death, KD Rate, Total Attack/Shoot, Total Hit, Efficiency, and Accuracy. And at the bottom part, there will be show the current "standing". The rank will be sorted primarily based on total win, secondarily based on total score, and at last based on player id. And about status, it will become red (x) if a player is not in the game anymore.​
235220-albums7395-picture85133.png

235220-albums7395-picture85152.jpg

There are total of 18 runes that will be spawned at the moddle of arena every certain duration. Some can improve your performance, but some also give negative effects. To be specific, there are 9 runes which give supportive effects, and the rest gives negative effects. See this list below for specific information.
<Under Construction>
235220-albums7395-picture85135.png

235220-albums7395-picture85153.jpg

What I mean is "in-game" team arrangement. Yes, you can arrange the teams in-game so that when you play with your friends, you dont need to re-create the room to switch between teams. You can simply click the slot to move to another team.​
235220-albums7395-picture85131.png

There are several aspects of a match that can be customized by Host at beggining. They are: Match Duration, Rune Spawnrate, Snowman Count, Thermometer, Collision, and Friendly Fire. Friendly Fire option will only become available if there are less than 4 teams on that moment. Anyway, Host can re-set the match options on every beggining of a new match.​
235220-albums7395-picture85126.png

235220-albums7395-picture85151.jpg

Some people said, this game is so spammy. But actually, that is not a big deal if you can have fun with it, right? But atm, there is "Thermometer" that will bounds you so that you can't attack too much, it's something like cooldown. Anyway, you can disable it if you love raging. But you know what, that spammy thing makes the combat become more intense. Could you imagine if I give (as example) 1 second cooldown on each attack? What a boredom!​
235220-albums7395-picture85136.png

My favorite feature so far, makes the gameplay much more funnier, I'm glad I found this idea. Yup, you can team up with your friends. No matter is that 1 VS 3 or anything. The only difference is that if you have teammate, your score earnings will be shared to all of your team member. But also remember, if you got Friendly Fire mode is on, you can get penalties if you knock your own friends out from arena.​

235220-albums7395-picture85134.png

Click to enlarge

235220-albums7395-picture85138.png

235220-albums7395-picture85154.png

assasin_lord
[td]AnimatedBash.mdx[td]Gamegear
[tr]ZoraByZerox.mdx[td]Zerox
[td]OrbOfWind.mdx[td]UgoUgo
[tr]SnowMan.mdx[td]Bloody_Turds
[td]dummy.mdx[td]Vexorian
[tr]GetTerrainZ[td]Garfield1337
[td]GetUnitZ[td]Garfield1337
[tr]GetClosestWidget[td]Bannar aka Spinnaker
[td]HexString[td]Bannar aka Spinnaker
[tr]BallBreak.wav[td]GameHouse
[td]Chomp.wav[td]GameHouse
[tr]Whistle.wav[td]GameHouse
[td]BuzzBonus.wav[td]GameHouse
[tr]Music1.mp3[td]GameHouse
[td]Music2.mp3[td]GameHouse
[tr]human_face_punch.wav[td]www.freesfx.co.uk
[td]DizzyBirds.wav[td]www.zoklet.net
[tr]ESKARGOT.ttf[td]www.1001freefonts.com
[td]FinePineSnow.mdx[td]Fingolfin
[tr]Zora Sapphire By Zerox CI.mdx[td]Zerox
[td]Fwing.wav[td]GameHouse
[tr]gemvanishes.wav[td]GameHouse
[td]schoolbonus.wav[td]GameHouse
[tr]submit.wav[td]GameHouse
[td]watersplash.wav[td]GameHouse
[TD] Item Name [TD] Author [TD] Item Name [TD] Author GeneralHeroGlow.mdx
[tr][td]​

235220-albums7395-picture85132.png

I'm just hoping you like the game. Any rating is welcome and will be highly appreciated. i'm not longer accepting suggestions and critisms btw.
I'm sorry, the file size is probably not very optimized, mainly on sound files because suddenly my sound compressor was attacked by virus so it can't be used atm.
End of all, please, enjoy....​

Keywords:
ring, out, mini, game, arena
Contents

Ring Out v2.3 AI+ (Map)

Reviews
Moderator: StoPCampinGn00b Ring Out by Dalvengyr RATINGS Scores[/COLOR]] Gameplay: 27/30 Terrain & Scenery: 20/20 Total Score: 47/50 Explanation[/COLOR]]5 Stars: 47+ 4 Stars: 40-47 3 Stars: 25-39 2 Stars: 10-24 1 Stars: 1-9...

M

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Ring Out
by Dalvengyr
navbits_start.gif
RATINGS

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

Scores[/COLOR]] Gameplay: 27/30
Terrain & Scenery: 20/20
Total Score: 47/50

Explanation[/COLOR]]5 Stars: 47+
4 Stars: 40-47
3 Stars: 25-39
2 Stars: 10-24
1 Stars: 1-9

navbits_start.gif
CRITIQUE
Gameplay:
The gameplay of this map is extremely "unWarcraft3 like." The map is simply unique and it shows what you can do with the Warcraft 3 world editor. It isn't a generic FFA sliding map were you move in circles and bump others, you have multiple abilities and players must be strategic in there movement and casting abilities. It's almost like driving a bumper car (with brakes), with a beam like projectile, with some tricks up your sleeve.

Features such as adding several options to the map, also including AI difficulties added more spice to the gameplay. Those snowmen! I can't say it's easy to get used to the map, but I appreciate you adding info on how to play, tips, etc in game.

I didn't exactly have any major problems with this map, but I just feel like I can't beat the AI on easy. I don't know if I just suck, but I read the quest tips and tried to do follow them. The AI are just too damn fast. One other annoyance is unfamiliarity, I do know some may dislike some of the map because the movement is way different than other slide maps and it will feel clunky. Adding on to that are a set of abilities, it's hard to get used to. Other than that, the gameplay of the map definitely has quality present.

27/30

Terrain & Aesthetics:
The terrain? A giant icy spinning object in the water. It's just awesome.

The terrain isn't the best visual of the map, it's the effects and animations. I love how the deaths and being damaged looks on the screen with text popping out. The way units slide off of the "iceberg" looks smooth and great. Though mostly all black, the interface adds a theme to the map along with the custom models and icons. The map looks fantastic aesthetically + the sounds are great choices.

20/20
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The only way a map can be approved is if it follows the map submission rules that apply to the map type.
- All rules followed, map approved!
navbits_start.gif
NOTES
Overall this is a great example on how creative maps can be executed. Feel free to contact me about this review on this map page OR message me about anything. (+2) reputation points for taking your time to upload this map to Hive.
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Changelog:

v2.1
- Increased acceleration, drift power, and attack range
- Reduced brake, attack power, bump power, and maximum speed (slower gameplay)
- Added 0.15 sec delay on every attack
- Added heat indicator on the model (red color)
- Increased positive buffs duration and reduced negative buffs duration
- Slower AI

v1.9
- Added new control: auto-drift (check Read Me)
- Fixed bug at shorten&extended range
- Added new rune: Instant Stop
- Balanced nomal and charged power
- Improved AI. Aggressivity increased
- Fixed world bound issue
v1.7
- AI improvements
- Reduced snowman scale

v1.6
- Lot easier gameplay
- Easier AI
- Balanced runes
- Better UI
v1.5
- Added random respawn option
- Match options are displayed to all players
- Fixed bug on team arrangement
- Randomized snowman position
- Fixed bug on rune timer initialization
- Invulnerable duration increased
- New status icons
- Added some introes
- Balanced charge power and range
- Small improvement on AI
- Balanced runes

v1.4
- Fixed AI bug
- Reduced AI drift ability
- Fixed snowman glitches
- Match begins with some countdown
- Faster cooldown
- Slower charge
- Added camera rotation
- Fixed timer glitches
- New arena skin
- Improved environment
- optimized import datas and file sizes
- Fixed status bug
- New sounds
- Respawn time increased
- Rune balancings
- Improved falling animation
- So many code improvements
- Read Me grammar fixes
v1.3
- Fixed nasty bug on acceleration, that explains why sometimes the unit looks deaccelerated instead
- Camera distance increased
- Now with fancy floating text
- Improved collision
- Fixed snowman collision glitches
- Reduced snowman power
- Balanced gameplay (stuns, runes, etc.)
- Faster charge
- Smarted AI
- Fixed some movement glitches
- Many more

v1.2
- Fixed multiplayer hosting glitches
- Tweakened gameplay
- Improved snowman, geez
- Balanced stuns and knockbacks
- Fixed some errors and bugs
- Camera angle changed since previous one causes movement issue for player 1 and 2
- Some AI modifications
- Fixed bug at collision
- Fixed glitch at snowman collision
- Removed so many leaks, I didn't realize them
- Some code improvements
v1.1
- Added obstacle (snowman)
- Now you can play with team
- Improved AI
- Balanced runes
- Added stun
- Improved collision system
- Camera rotation removed
- Doodads removed
- Filesize optimized
- UI removed

v1.0
- Adjusted thermometer and charge meter
- Reduced AI difficulty
- Adjusted some rune effects
- Many minor improvements
v0.9
- Added collision system (Beta)
- Base braking power increased
- Added charged shoot
- Power Up rune effect reduced
- Improved AI
- Added fog
- Missile speed increased
- Many others

Last edited:
Level 23
Downloading... Will give my thoughts tomorrow. V (-W-) V

EDIT

That went quicker than I expected.

Critics and comments:

- Can you give some clues about the map ingame? It's for the convenience of the players who doesn't give a damn about the map description. (Just like me) I downloaded the map thinking that there was some instructions placed in the quest dialog, but there wasn't so I ended up figuring it out myself.

- What the hell am I? I mean what model did you use for the hero? Looks like some blue alien thingy. :p

- How bout utilizing the whole map? I mean make an arena that isn't just a plain circle. maybe make some maze so that the player won't just keep spinning in circles and shoot at people until one dies (Just like I did. I don't really care about statistics or accuracy. As long as I can kill stuff.)

- Credits ingame. You know that. :)

- It's either my memory just failed me or your map really lacks some soundtrack. Music really gives a better feeling to a "fast paced" game like yours (Check Mercenaries to get what I'm talking about). So better add one or use a music from the mpq. :)

- What's the purpose of the pine trees? Imho, you should add visuals that are actually visible to the players. Adding doodads that aren't visible anytime ingame is just a waste.

- Camera angle sucks. Had to be frank with that one, because it really does. The heroes are almost invisible. I could only see some blue blur and the SFX and nothing else.

- You shouldn't really declare a suicide when the player hasn't reach the water yet. If you're relying on the tileset to detect the suicide part, then don't. Detect the water instead.

- Having an imported UI but leaving it empty is rather pointless imho. If you're gonna leave it that way, I suggest just changing the UI to plain black (that minimal UI, I think I saw that in a map or video recently)

- Reset the power ups upon dying or just show something that indicates how long a powerup lasts. There was one time I picked-up the reverse thing, and died. When I resurrected, the reverse buff was still there so I died once again. When I revived, I thought that the buff was permanent so I "reversed" my commands but I plunged straight to the waters, which would mean that the powerup has faded. Annoying imo.

Well, the map is already fun but it still needs lots of polishing. You kinda rushed in submitting the map.

And remember, whatever I said in my review above, It isn't mean to insult.

That's all from me. Ta~

Last edited:
Level 23
what kind of maze? that's indeed how the gameplay will be looked like from the first place (my concept from the beggining).
Just shape the arena into some kind of maze or anything that isn't a circle. :p

wait, did you mean there is no sound in the game? I HAVE put some pretty good sounds and background music there actually, maybe you forgot to turn the sound on in option menu?
Yeah, I forgot I had my music muted. Sorry. xP

people suggest me to improve enviroment around the arena, yet it's not visible in game. so I need to remve them after all? :p no problem actually, just will wait for other's opinion first
I think they meant the actual arena since it looks too smooth and too circular atm. Oh, and since that outer landmass isn't really visible, why not just lower it down the water and then add icebergs and stuff. Maybe ice spikes around the arena to explain the fact that arctic creatures die when they plunge into the water. :3

maybe indeed sucks but what I care about is just fairness
Hm, okay.

Will think about this, actually I detect unit's high Z, not the tile type..
Ah, okay then. It looked to me like you were detecting the tile type since I die at the edge of the arena when the tile ended.

I have tried to use it but using blue UI is just looks a lot better
Alright, whatever floats your boat.

haha, that's funny. "reverse" indeed so annoying :D but no, I wont reset it :p how if you got important power up like "Power Up" (increase attack power) and dies and lost the effect even before you have chance to hit enemies? it's kinda much more annoying..
So what about the timer thing? and Indicator of some sort.

Hi I just tried your map, and I'm sorry to say, but there's a very bad bug that I encountered. At 2:04, the game froze my warcraft 3. It didn't crash or anything, just froze it. I had to exit out of warcraft 3 using the task manager.

I can't provide you with a replay unfortunately because it froze my computer, but I'll try to describe the game state as much as possible:

I was playing on battle.net with 3 insane ai. At the moment of the crash, purple and blue were ringed out, and there were 2 missiles in the air: one from teal, and one from red(me). My missile appeared to be right next to teal at the time of the crash, while teal's missile was in the middle of the rink(He had missed and the missile wasn't going to hit anyone).

As for the map, I think you should add some instructions on the screen. Because you took out the interface entirely, people will be confused as what to do, and what the controls are. The only reason I knew what buttons to press at the start was because I read your description on the hive here.

Also, when you respawn, I think you should make the invulnerability last longer. Because I recalled many times not being able to control my hero soon enough after a respawn, as I was getting hit by enemy projectiles in no time at all.

Level 32
Map approved using this review below :thumbs_up:

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Ring Out
by Dalvengyr
navbits_start.gif
RATINGS

Scores

Explanation

Gameplay: 27/30
Terrain & Scenery: 20/20
Total Score: 47/50

5 Stars: 47+
4 Stars: 40-47
3 Stars: 25-39
2 Stars: 10-24
1 Stars: 1-9

navbits_start.gif
CRITIQUE
Gameplay:
The gameplay of this map is extremely "unWarcraft3 like." The map is simply unique and it shows what you can do with the Warcraft 3 world editor. It isn't a generic FFA sliding map were you move in circles and bump others, you have multiple abilities and players must be strategic in there movement and casting abilities. It's almost like driving a bumper car (with brakes), with a beam like projectile, with some tricks up your sleeve.

Features such as adding several options to the map, also including AI difficulties added more spice to the gameplay. Those snowmen! I can't say it's easy to get used to the map, but I appreciate you adding info on how to play, tips, etc in game.

I didn't exactly have any major problems with this map, but I just feel like I can't beat the AI on easy. I don't know if I just suck, but I read the quest tips and tried to do follow them. The AI are just too damn fast. One other annoyance is unfamiliarity, I do know some may dislike some of the map because the movement is way different than other slide maps and it will feel clunky. Adding on to that are a set of abilities, it's hard to get used to. Other than that, the gameplay of the map definitely has quality present.

27/30

Terrain & Aesthetics:
The terrain? A giant icy spinning object in the water. It's just awesome.

The terrain isn't the best visual of the map, it's the effects and animations. I love how the deaths and being damaged looks on the screen with text popping out. The way units slide off of the "iceberg" looks smooth and great. Though mostly all black, the interface adds a theme to the map along with the custom models and icons. The map looks fantastic aesthetically + the sounds are great choices.

20/20
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The only way a map can be approved is if it follows the map submission rules that apply to the map type.
- All rules followed, map approved!
navbits_start.gif
NOTES
Overall this is a great example on how creative maps can be executed. Feel free to contact me about this review on this map page OR message me about anything. (+2) reputation points for taking your time to upload this map to Hive.
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Thanks for the approval SCN!

can you make the camera adjustable?
What do you mean with adjusting the camera? Stopping camera rotation? Adjusting camera rotation manually? Or just zoom in & zoom out feature (I'm starting to think about this one)?

Update!
I'm sorry for being too cocky to admit that this map was way too hard. I have spent my off-day to update this map to reach its most playable level. I have maintained all attributes (brake power, acceleration, turn rate, etc.) until their prime-est states. The AI is now really easy to beat, but still, insane AI is still comparable to human. This update proves that my game is not really hard. You are just assuming it's hard just because the AI was extremely skilled. But now you may find it's pretty fun actually. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Level 4
Music???

How did you get the music to sound even in the lobby and when loading the map???!??!?! :vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_death::vw_death:

I looked through the game interface thing and all I could see was Music - Defeat and Music - Victory. Do you have to import it into a specific location or something? And how do you even view where the files are naturally? According to the import manager, the main data archive is War3.mpq, but how do you even open that?

Edit: I think you replaced the War3XMainScreen Music thing or something, possibly at ReplaceableTextures\\Sound\\Music\\War3XMainScreen.mp3 or something like that???

Kazeon

Level 33
Update!
- Slower gameplay (lower move speed, lower power, lower snowman power, etc.)
- Adapted AI with the new game speed
- New loading screen and preview image
- Now without fancy lobby music c;

I think this is completely playable already. Although it's still very tiring to right-click all the time ;p

Next update I will convert all .wav files to .mp3 since they create excess when optimized. The actual file size is only 2,1 MB without optimizer. ;]

Last edited: