• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Urshan's Wall

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Kino's Back Catalogue. 2012
Uploaded for posterity :D

URSHAN'S WALL
Date: 2012, THW MMC: Dungeon
Genre: Dungeon Crawl
Players: 1

The lifeblood of the drylands were the rivers that were brought through Urshan's Wall from the highlands above.
Not long ago, those rivers ceased to flow.
Leaving the oases dry and the people desperate.
Thus they sent a lone traveller to the foot of the wall.
In search of bringing back water from the crags beyond.

158564-albums7805-picture92267.jpg

158564-albums7805-picture92265.jpg

158564-albums7805-picture92266.jpg

158564-albums7805-picture92264.jpg

Overview
Created for THW map contest: dungeon.
A desert adventure with manual hack and slash combat.
Dodge enemy attacks, out-maneuver them and strike.

Battle through 3 levels, bosses and various enemy types in hopes of climbing the wall.

• Manual hack and slash combat
  • Desert ruins ftw.

Changelog
1.0 - Uploaded

Author's Notes
Controls like semi-arse.
Reason why manual combat systems in wc3 need to be well thought out before being implemented.

Keywords:
Desert, Orange, Sand, Ruins, Rain, Dungeon, Crawl
Contents

Urshan's Wall (Map)

Reviews
10:57, 11th Dec 2014 Moderator: StoPCampinGn00b Urshan's Wall by Kino REVIEW Urshan's Wall is a medium sized single player dungeon crawl hack and slash map. The visuals depicting desert ruins/Egyptian themes is well made. The gameplay...

M

10:57, 11th Dec 2014

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Urshan's Wall
by Kino
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
Urshan's Wall is a medium sized single player dungeon crawl hack and slash map. The visuals depicting desert ruins/Egyptian themes is well made. The gameplay comes off rather smooth contrary to what the map description says and is suitable for players who want a challenge. See below for a more detailed explanation regarding the map's quality.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
As a hack and slash map, the main concern of the gameplay is how well implemented combat system is. It shares the same 'flaws' as other maps of this type with the difficulty getting into the right position to hit enemies, but it is a skill to be mastered and one to get use to. With a set of fun-to-use abilities and items, the combat system is more than 'just fine.'

What's great about the gameplay is the non-repetitiveness. Mini-games are always around the corner. They are indeed difficult, even more so as there is no save-load system (and the default WC3 one being unable to use for this map) and there are no difficulty options. This could be deterring to players as the map is very unforgiving to small mistakes done by a player.
Visuals:
Doodad placement and terrain tile usage is very much above average. Some twitching or flashing doodads aren't much of a problem and of course it would be better with more customized models; but you've decorated fairly well with nothing spammed or cluttered.

Other visuals such as colorful (but matching to the environment) effects when spells are casted, when mini-games arise, and in other scenarios were simply entertaining to look at.
Miscellaneous:
I've added a changelog to your map description. It would also be nice for the quest log to have more information.​
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
Map approved with a 4/5 rating.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

[COLOR=white

Map Making Related

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

] How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

Forum Related[/COLOR]]How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

[/COLOR]
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Level 28
Welp, played it and died against the first boss(the one using Grom's model). Very cool map overall, the combat is very fast, flawless and engaging, the abilities are simple but effective and its really cool that even the enemies are using the custom combat system making dodging very fun. Equipments are also neatly package but I suggest that you also add a Hotkey when you're inside the equipment bag. I also like that you have an ability for instant use of the flask. I really just wish that you can be revive when you die or at least a message telling that you can't be revive so I could have save somewhere.

Also something to note is the simple but very appealing terrain, I've seen better desert type terrain but with almost no import this is probably the best of its kind.

I'll retry it again but it would have been awesome if it can be played multiplayer. I'm not someone who gives a rating for something that I didn't finish but I'll give it a placeholder 5(lol, highest score for a place holder .\,,/) for now for the reason that it gives a very fun and engaging combat gameplay, neat terrain, well organize and is neatly package inside a 537kb w3x file.

Level 23
Welp, played it and died against the first boss(the one using Grom's model). Very cool map overall, the combat is very fast, flawless and engaging, the abilities are simple but effective and its really cool that even the enemies are using the custom combat system making dodging very fun.

First off, thanks for the playthrough.
Generally, the map is product of it's time. It has very blatant flaws (such as the first boss is mainly beaten via RNG)

I've seen better desert type terrain but with almost no import this is probably the best of its kind.

Screens pls.
I really need to see this.

I'll retry it again but it would have been awesome if it can be played multiplayer.

As this is a back catalogue dump
Unlikely to be updated unless for bug fixing purposes.

1.features list,
2.short gameplay explanation,
They're pretty much in the description already.
4.screenshots,
5.a changelog
Screenshots are there, and changelog is unneeded since this is the first upload version.

OT: Wow, you took the pending section by storm. I should play this some time.

Level 23
His name Kino is also from Stargate Universe (kino was the name of the recording probes)

kino, description looks like fine, just people want better standards, I got the jist of it though so it works for me!

That's some coincidence there.
Both my user-name and the protagonist's are not intentionally derived from any other media.

Level 32
Short review.

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Urshan's Wall
by Kino
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
Urshan's Wall is a medium sized single player dungeon crawl hack and slash map. The visuals depicting desert ruins/Egyptian themes is well made. The gameplay comes off rather smooth contrary to what the map description says and is suitable for players who want a challenge. See below for a more detailed explanation regarding the map's quality.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
As a hack and slash map, the main concern of the gameplay is how well implemented combat system is. It shares the same 'flaws' as other maps of this type with the difficulty getting into the right position to hit enemies, but it is a skill to be mastered and one to get use to. With a set of fun-to-use abilities and items, the combat system is more than 'just fine.'

What's great about the gameplay is the non-repetitiveness. Mini-games are always around the corner. They are indeed difficult, even more so as there is no save-load system (and the default WC3 one being unable to use for this map) and there are no difficulty options. This could be deterring to players as the map is very unforgiving to small mistakes done by a player.
Visuals:
Doodad placement and terrain tile usage is very much above average. Some twitching or flashing doodads aren't much of a problem and of course it would be better with more customized models; but you've decorated fairly well with nothing spammed or cluttered.

Other visuals such as colorful (but matching to the environment) effects when spells are casted, when mini-games arise, and in other scenarios were simply entertaining to look at.
Miscellaneous:
I've added a changelog to your map description. It would also be nice for the quest log to have more information.​
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
Map approved with a 4/5 rating.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

Map Making Related

Forum Related

How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Last edited:
Level 8
I loved the playability, and the terrain is sooo beautiful, but for some moments the game feels a little lonely, maybe you could try with add more enemies. For everything else, like it!

Rating: 4/5