• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Guardians Of The North 1.2

Guardians Of The North

The once tranquil village of Northgale has been overrun by an undead invasion force and whatever villagers were left alive fled to the south. It is up to the three mighty heroes to try and retake the village before it is too late.

Description:

This is map is a part of a multiplayer campaign (3 players) in which you control one of three heroes and take on the masses of monsters which increase as the game progresses. Experience is gained after you finish successfully each stage or complete a task/quest. The heroes have completely custom skills and one unique item which cannot be removed from their inventory. You should really open your eyes, both on the terrain and skill descriptions, because that is the key to progress and ultimately to victory. There are a lot of hidden items around the map - some easy to find, others not so much. Be sure to read the in-game info tab.
FastTutorial.jpg

Red Areas - Bosses
Light Purple Areas - Spawn Crystal/spawn related
Purple Area- Quest Related
Dark blue box - Energy Bridge

Yellow Dots - Resurrection Stones
White Dots - Quests
Green Dots - Obelisks
Orange Dots - Key & Treasure Chest

Note that other areas also may contain features.
More videos soon!

Healing Rune

icons_8066_btn.jpg

Uses rune magic to restore the hit points of nearby friendly targets over time.

Level 1 - Heals 75 hit points over 10 seconds.
Level 2 - Heals 100 hit points over 10 seconds.
Level 3 - Heals 150 hit points over 10 seconds.

Energy Rune

icons_8080_btn.jpg

Uses rune magic to restore nearby friendly targets mana and increase their defence.

Level 1 - 1 mana regeneration per second and 1 deffence.
Level 2 - 2 mana regeneration per second and 2 deffence.
Level 3 - 3 mana regeneration per second and 3 deffence.

Disruptive Rune

icons_8077_btn.jpg

Uses rune magic to disrupt enemy unit's combat abilities.

Level 1 - 5% reduction in speed & attack speed, 2 damage per second.
Level 2 - 10% reduction in speed & attack speed, 4 damage per second.
Level 3 - 15% reduction in speed & attack speed, 5 damage per second.

Arcane Enlightenment

icons_16495_btn.jpg

For 20 seconds the Runekeeper becomes a higher being and transcends the human form giving him 50% evasion and 100% live regeneration rate. Restores mana equal to the hero's intelligence on each spell cast.

Harpoon

icons_11171_btn.jpg

Trows hook attached to a chain which grabs nearby unit damaging it and pulling it over to your hero.

Level 1 - 20 damage, 600 hook distance.
Level 2 - 40 damage, 750 hook distance.
Level 3 - 60 damage, 900 hook distance.

Shield Of Revenge

icons_13682_btn.jpg

Slams an enemy unit knocking it back and provoking it to attack. Has a chance to block the skills of the targeted unit.

Level 1 - Deals 25 damage & has 30% chance to block skills for 3 seconds.
Level 2 - Deals 50 damage & has 40% chance to block skills for 4 seconds.
Level 3 - Deals 75 damage & has 50% chance to block skills for 5 seconds.

Hate Aura

icons_13694_btn.jpg

For 5 seconds increases hero's defense and provokes nearby enemy units to attack.

Level 1 - Increases armor by 3.
Level 2 - Increases armor by 4.
Level 3 - Increases armor by 5.

Guard Stance

icons_15781_btn.jpg

Increases armor by 5 and damage by 25% for 20 seconds. Provokes nearby enemies to attack when activated and provides a 50% chance to block all damage from incoming attacks.

Thunder Clap

icons_13217_btn.jpg

The Berserker slams the ground underneath him causing a shockwave that deals damage and knocks back enemy non-hero units.

Level 1 - Deals 50 damage + Strength of the Hero.
Level 2 - Deals 100 damage + 2xStrength of the Hero.
Level 3 - Deals 150 damage + 3xStrength of the Hero.

Destructive Impact

icons_15435_btn.jpg

Stirkes a target enemy unit with such force that the impact weakens it's deffense for a while and has a small chance to instantly kill a non-hero unit.

Level 1 - Deals 75 damage and reduces armor by 3 and has a 1% chance to instantly kill a non-hero unit.
Level 2 - Deals 150 damage and reduces armor by 5 and has a 2% chance to instantly kill a non-hero unit.
Level 3- Deals 220 damage and reduces armor by 7 and has a 3% chance to instantly kill a non-hero unit.

War Frenzy

icons_13114_pas.jpg

When attacked gives a chance to increase damage by 50% for 3 seconds.

Level 1 - 10% chance.
Level 2 - 20% chance.
Level 3 - 30% chance.

Bloodrage

icons_13130_btn.jpg

The berserker becomes overwhelmed by the desire to destroy his enemies. His strength temporarily increases by 25 and his attacks restore 30% of the damage he deals.

Version 1.0
First Upload.
Version 1.1
Fixed some skill descriptions.
Improved/debugged ending.
Made Final Boss stronger.
Changed some hints.
Added more functions to Sunstone Crystal.
Version 1.2
Changed the way AI is controlled via the -aicp command
(players now have full control).
Fixed some typos.

How To Play
The Guardians
There are 3 heroes each with a specific role. A damage dealer - "Berserker" (player 1), a tank - "Shieldmaster" (player 2) and support - "Runekeeper" (player 3). Each hero was designed to be equally important in different stages of the campaign. In this part however the game progress mainly depends on the skills of the support hero.

Map Specific
Don't be tempted to play on hard difficulty the first time! No really don't! Lots of the things in the game are difficulty variable such as:

Blizzard duration, creep spawn time, max mobs per combat zone,
spawn crystal vulnerability timer, food used, damage required for crystal vulnerability, bonus items in hidden areas, attribute points, location hints, resurrection stone usage (1 time hard).

The map is divided in to battle zones which the players have to control in order to advance.
Remember to check the following:
* Food meter - if you run out of food your hero will begin to take damage and die.
* Pay attention to the multiboard and hints - they provide valuable information about the game phase.
* This is a team play oriented map so it is preferable for each hero to be controlled by a player.
* When a hero dies a special item appears at his position so that he can be revived at a Resurrection Stone. The Resurrection stones have a 30 second cooldown.
* The Guardians will suffer environmental damage during blizzards.
* Spawn crystals are hard to locate sometimes. Use the alt key to ease your efforts.
* Use the -resetskills command to reset you hero's skills.
* Use -aicp command to control the AI in case a player left or just playing singleplayer.

Credits
Models & Skins:

-Grendel, Blood Raven, Daenar7, Shinji XJ, JetFangInferno, chilla_killa, Chenralstrasz, InfernalTater, Tarrasque, Ket, RightField, NightSkyAurora, Afronight_76

Icons:

zbc, Dmazzz, L_Lawliet, PeeKay, CRAZYRUSSIAN, Blood Raven

Map Template: Eternal Epix - edited by me

Keywords:
Multiplayer campaign, Co-op campaign, RPG, Northern
Contents

Guardians Of The North 1.2 (Map)

Reviews
Moderator: StoPCampinGn00b Guardians Of The North by Meatfactory REVIEW GOTN is a linear multiplayer RPG map similar to Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne's 'Founding of Durotar' campaign missions in parts where it is in an RPG only format. There...

M

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Guardians Of The North
by Meatfactory
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
GOTN is a linear multiplayer RPG map similar to Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne's 'Founding of Durotar' campaign missions in parts where it is in an RPG only format. There is a lot of back and forth action as players will sometimes travel around the map searching for things and completing quests. The terrain is well made, and the gameplay could suit players who enjoy maps based off of quest missions. See below for a more detailed explanation regarding the map's quality.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
As stated above, this is a quest based RPG map. The playable heroes have custom abilities, all significantly different from default abilities. There is a lot of resemblance, but sometimes it's the default ability with some changes like knockback added. THeroes all have specific roles in order to be successful as a team, but at the same time they aren't extremely dependent on each other, meaning the support hero won't die in seconds without a tank. The 'control AI' ability that becomes available after a code is typed in is somewhat useful, but it is very clunky, slow, and difficult to use. Players must toggle back and forth when controlling the other heroes then using the heroes spells. Micro is almost non-existent with this ability, as only move, hold position, stop, and attack are the only ones present. There isn't even attack move.

There is a great amount of things to do in this map, so players can expect over an hour of playing time. The tasks and enemy design was fair (enemies could use more creative abilities and quests could have more of a fun-factor) and the differences in difficulty was very noticeable. There are enough references to complete a task such as videos in the description and an informative quest log.
Visuals:
The terrain and doodad placement of the map is better than how most snow themed maps are. Villages looked neat, the environment was maybe very white-blue but there is no problem with that. Height leveling looked professional and cliffs matched well with the rest of the map. Some extra triggered effects happening when some creeps die add a little to how the map looks. There are though, some questionable areas where it looks like you can traverse through. Some of the water doesn't look too deep and some areas are blocked off without a visible boundary (a specific one is in stage 4 when confronting the lich). Other than that, the visuals are above average in this map.
Miscellaneous:
As pointed out Melvs Grimm, vulnerable is spelled wrong. Anyway, not much to point out here.
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The map is now approved with a 3/5 rating. In my moderator book, 3 stars are usually an average to above average score. 4 stars is much better than average. 5 is very well made and/or creative.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

[COLOR=white

Map Making Related

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

] How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

Forum Related[/COLOR]]How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

[/COLOR]
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Hmm, so your next in the queue, but I don't have the time to test the map with 2 others at the moment. So I've come to inform you to understand why I'm going to approve other maps as they many don't require multiplayer :thumbs_up:

You can test it in singleplayer, but you must play as the Runekeeper and it will be almost impossible unless you use cheats.

Level 3
There's a Typo in Crystal vonrealbility it should be vulnerability but overall good map, it's hard and challenging on single player, without cheats, Hope to see this map on the approved list :D

There's a Typo in Crystal vonrealbility it should be vulnerability but overall good map, it's hard and challenging on single player, without cheats, Hope to see this map on the approved list :D

Damn I thought I fixed that typo... anyway thanks for the heads up. It's nearly impossible if you play it alone. It could be winnable if I add some more controls for the computer players or add AI to them.

Level 32
Okay. So, I'm on the bottom right mission and for a lengthy time of 5 minutes of searching I could not find the spawning crystal. If you can't tell me where it is, perhaps you could give me a hint or an update where it pings where the crystal is? I don't want to review a fourth or so of the map.

Okay. So, I'm on the bottom right mission and for a lengthy time of 5 minutes of searching I could not find the spawning crystal. If you can't tell me where it is, perhaps you could give me a hint or an update where it pings where the crystal is? I don't want to review a fourth or so of the map.

Well I'm guessing you are past the death pools and at the part where you have to have to make the Stolen Lineage quest and if so, look at the video tutorial on that quest (map description - screenshots and videos). Btw if you haven't red the description I strongly suggest you do.

Level 32
Review finished! I've got as far to the lumber jack. I'm assuming that's around 3/4ths of the map. If I've stated anything wrong because I haven't finished the map, please tell me.

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Guardians Of The North
by Meatfactory
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
GOTN is a linear multiplayer RPG map similar to Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne's 'Founding of Durotar' campaign missions in parts where it is in an RPG only format. There is a lot of back and forth action as players will sometimes travel around the map searching for things and completing quests. The terrain is well made, and the gameplay could suit players who enjoy maps based off of quest missions. See below for a more detailed explanation regarding the map's quality.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
As stated above, this is a quest based RPG map. The playable heroes have custom abilities, all significantly different from default abilities. There is a lot of resemblance, but sometimes it's the default ability with some changes like knockback added. THeroes all have specific roles in order to be successful as a team, but at the same time they aren't extremely dependent on each other, meaning the support hero won't die in seconds without a tank. The 'control AI' ability that becomes available after a code is typed in is somewhat useful, but it is very clunky, slow, and difficult to use. Players must toggle back and forth when controlling the other heroes then using the heroes spells. Micro is almost non-existent with this ability, as only move, hold position, stop, and attack are the only ones present. There isn't even attack move.

There is a great amount of things to do in this map, so players can expect over an hour of playing time. The tasks and enemy design was fair (enemies could use more creative abilities and quests could have more of a fun-factor) and the differences in difficulty was very noticeable. There are enough references to complete a task such as videos in the description and an informative quest log.
Visuals:
The terrain and doodad placement of the map is better than how most snow themed maps are. Villages looked neat, the environment was maybe very white-blue but there is no problem with that. Height leveling looked professional and cliffs matched well with the rest of the map. Some extra triggered effects happening when some creeps die add a little to how the map looks. There are though, some questionable areas where it looks like you can traverse through. Some of the water doesn't look too deep and some areas are blocked off without a visible boundary (a specific one is in stage 4 when confronting the lich). Other than that, the visuals are above average in this map.
Miscellaneous:
As pointed out Melvs Grimm, vulnerable is spelled wrong. Anyway, not much to point out here.
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The map is now approved with a 3/5 rating. In my moderator book, 3 stars are usually an average to above average score. 4 stars is much better than average. 5 is very well made and/or creative.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

Map Making Related

Forum Related

How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Last edited: