• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BtT Typhoon Temple

Beyond the Throne: Typhoon Temple (2)

This is an altered-melee that takes place post-World Tree. Features include:

-A completely new race called Lost that are hyper-aggressive
-A developed Naga race
-Integrated sea units that provide a unique channel for racial strengths
-Custom terrain that provides balance for sea and land units
-Stat adjusted vanilla heroes with new heroes
-Streamlined hotkey system

I would like feedback on the following:

-How do you feel about the unit composition, their roles, and usage?
-What should my focus be?

For more information, change log, and credits visit the main thread.

2017-12-22-01_09_04-x__-_beyond-the-throne_-2-btt-typhoon-temple-w3x-png.287630

Keywords:
Warcraft II, Altered Melee, Goblin, Ogre, Mage, Lost, Throne, Naval, Navy, Troll, Naga
Contents

BtT Typhoon Temple (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet23:09, 3rd July 2013 Map Approved BtT Typhoon (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet23:09, 3rd July 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
BtT Typhoon (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Both races has surreal expendable types of tech builds and units its actually amazing, each object has a unique background and its really great to see some different altered melees around."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"No much design layout with the whole terrain landscape but can be rated fair."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my game testings, this altered melee is awesome I recommend melee to altered melee lovers to test this one out."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
10/1583%B

Review of BtT Typhoon
By Legal_Ease
Comments
This map is very interesting. I must say it has had a lot of thought put into it. It was fun to play but I was a little confused at times (which is not uncommon). I liked the concept and the complexity.

The Pros
-Really great terrain, especially for naval combat!
-Many great custom spells and abilities.
-functioning AI that seems somewhat intelligent.
-great quest-log.
-Explanations of how to play were sufficient.
-Overall a very enjoyable concept and true altered Melee adventure.
-Cool fast paced and multi-faceted tech.
-Great new vocabulary. I struggle to think of names, but your names for units and spells are all fitting and fun.
-Nice custom UI for the Lost.
-Cool models that I have never seen before!
-Lost race has really cool units and buildings.

Suggested Improvements
-Some units did not fit, like the walking space tank thing.
-The races seemed a bit imbalanced, I beat the AI on my first try. Make it more balanced and make the AI tougher.
-Some abilities were OP, like witchdoctor's hex. Sweet idea - AoE Hex - but too strong for a non-hero.
-Tinker airstrike type ability was really cool but seemed to miss the targets a bit. (sorry I forget the names)
-Alter was in the wrong spot in the build menu so I missed it for like 3 minutes. I'm a real melee player and if I don't see it in x=0, y=1, then I assume its not there. Its always the 1st build.
-Ogre magi was OP and two of them cleaned the human base with some navy ranged backup.
-I'm not sure why some of the peons seemed to have super speed.
-I couldn't find the alter for the Lost. (Maybe its because I'm dumb).

Overall Rating
I'm not going to rate this because it's plenty good and I vote for approval but I think you want to make it perfect. So I would rate it high, but that doesn't comport with the idea that you probably want to change a lot of things. I can tell a major amount of effort went into this and I think it would be a waste to leave it how it is. It needs balance and a touch of conformity (referring to the units that don't really fit the theme).

BtT_zps53f37d1f.jpg

-Over Powered butterfly destroying helpless enemy with no ranged attackers.

BtT2_zpsc4f16789.jpg

-Butterflies and space tank heading back to pwn the defenseless base.

Last edited:
@ Legal Ease

Thank you for the detailed review. I rarely get such feedback.

-I use the Mercenary Camp as a testing bed for ideas sometimes. I had already settled on removing the "space tank" in the next version.
-Playing against an AI is never a good way to judge tech balance as they do not react well. I am currently working on a GUI AI that will allow me to make an AI counter build human players.
-I will revisit Hex. My initial thought that due to the high unit cost and prerequisites it would be balanced. I can always lower the duration.
-Cluster Rockets is an interesting ability because the missiles are art only, they do not indicate the actual damage area. Damage is dealt to any unit in an area just like Death and Decay.
-I will look at the Magi. It should be ok though. I balance units on a grid map that pits equivalent units against each other. I strive for a 50/50 ratio in combat.
-Peons speed up and slow down as you put more on a mine. As far as I know it's the same in ladder.
-The altars are all the last building on each basic workers list. This is done because you can disable heroes and if you do there would be a gap in the build list. Secondarily this is done because heroes are not the game changers that they are in ladder, they are more of an interesting support unit.

If you would like to play me we can work out a time.

@AwzomeWulfzz

That site is defunct.

Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Looks good, I like this kind of maps :)

Level 13
This cool too I really like your races I enjoy playing them. It only need AI and a lot of player slots.

Level 2
It is good map. Very good map. But I find bug. If you play for orcs, the voodoo lounge is not voodoo lounge but it is Den. It is only in building materials but if you look to it and: Ahhh. Voodoo lounge. This is good for build. But if you build it, it is only to train troops

It is good map. Very good map. But I find bug. If you play for orcs, the voodoo lounge is not voodoo lounge but it is Den. It is only in building materials but if you look to it and: Ahhh. Voodoo lounge. This is good for build. But if you build it, it is only to train troops

I missed updating the tooltips for the new hero support structures, I'll fix that.

I'm glad you enjoy playing!

Level 2
Hi again! I play this game for humans and find another bug. In barracks there are two footmans. One is for 160golds second one is for 135 golds. When I traine one and second one there are same! And there are too two riflemans. Same bug. And bug in all races: Heroes. If I play for orcs or humans or losts it is same: You can train 3heroes of the same type! But only you heroes. Your custom heroes. I can train 1paladin and 2your custom heroes(paladin as hero). Pls work in it. Thanks

Level 2
Here are the screens:

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_104819.jpg
    IMG_20170723_104819.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20170723_104809.jpg
    IMG_20170723_104809.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20170723_104719.jpg
    IMG_20170723_104719.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131