• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Build and Defend 0.9.3

Reactions: deepstrasz

Build and Defend!

Created by SeaguI/Inflicted

Story/Background

None yet, under development.
Basic storyline is that the city is under attack (ironically the city is still under construction atm) and you must defend it from the enemies which are approaching.

Map Info

Hero Defence with a single lane, which can be played by between 1 and 6 players.
Consists of multiple hero types each with unique skill sets. (More classes shall be coming soon)
Between each and every wave there is a purchase time. Unlike other defenses there are no default shops, players must use their gold to make decisions on which shops/structures to build and which items to purchase.
Each character has its own unique builder which allows for access to exclusive structures.
As this is a team game (PvE), all buildings are shared and players can make use of each others shops.
There are multiple items, majority of which are easy to understand, but there are also selection of more advanced items for the more experienced players or as the game progresses. There are no recipes involved in this game, however structures do need to be upgraded to grant access to more equipment/weapons. These upgrades are expensive and cannot be refunded, so choosing the correct time to upgrade is crucial.

Other Info

Items are 100% refundable, allowing players to not feel pressured or bad about purchases, or allowing them to refund their items and try an entirely new build.

Deaths have no consequence, only a death time (which increases as the game progresses)
The life system unlike in other defense games or TD's, does not have a count total. You lose life according to the health of the enemies "leaked" through the end zone. In that way if you leak an enemy boss on full hp, rather than on 20% hp the damage is more severe.

Note that this map isn't entirely completed, while it is playable it may be limited with regards to levels, structures, items or classes. Therefore there may be some skills that are a little off, or maybe could be improved or remade. If you see such and have an idea of how something could be changed, please comment below and I shall add credit for your suggestions.
Any feedback or criticism would be appreciated.

Systems

There are multiple "out of the warcraft world" systems put in place here to give a different approach from regular hero defences. In order to effectively progress in the game, these need to be used effectively.

Critical Strike:
Both critical strike chance and damage can be increased here. These effects stack in the regard that you can have multiple items granting chance and they would add up (eg 15%+20%=35%). Same goes for critical strike damage and other effects which activate on critical strikes. Note that some abilities are also able to critically strike.

Empower:
Due to the extremely low base damage granted to the heroes, by attacking in combat they become battle enraged and do increased damage. Attacks can deal up to 100% bonus damage, each attack increasing the amount of enrage. While being out of combat rapidly decreases this amount. Note that Empower damage is included into critical strikes.

Stagger:
The direct opposite of Empower, when hitting an enemy you begin to increase their stagger amount (clicking on them and observing their mana bar will indicate the percentage), when this amount fills the enemy turns red and takes a greatly increased amount of damage. This is crucial for dealing additional damage to bosses, and is amplified by greater attack speed, hero skills or items. Some bosses are able to remove Stagger. Stagger also amplifies critical strikes drastically.

Magic:
Almost all abilities within the game are amplified by the heroes magic power, increasing this with either abilities or items will greatly boost the damage output of each heroes abilities. Mage classes generally benefit a lot more from this system than fighters.

Resistance:
This stat reduces the damage dealt by enemy spells and reduces the chances of success of enemy debuffs. Highly effective against some bosses with high levels of 'crowd control' or attack preventing debuffs.

Lifesteal:
A percentage of damage dealt can be healed on attack, this is amplified by all other systems such as Critical Strikes, Stagger or Empower.

There are also other minor systems within the game such as Fog, an ability which causes enemies attack to slow drastically for a short duration. These abilities can be acquired by leveling up hero skills, acquiring items or even used against you by the enemies!

Screenshots

Combat Training:
213169-albums7582-picture88655.bmp

213169-albums7582-picture88654.bmp

Customizable base:
213169-albums7582-picture88653.bmp

Defending:
213169-albums7582-picture88652.bmp

Viewing stats (old layout)
213169-albums7582-picture88534.bmp

Heroes/Classes

Currently under development.

Latest added hero: Sylvanas Windrunner (Ranger)

Role: Fighter

Abilities:

Tornado (Q)

Calls to the wind, forming a windstorm before her which continues in an unstoppable force in a selected direction, dealing 2/4/6/8/10 + 1.25x Magic x [1.5 crit amount] to all enemies hit. All enemies hit acquire 20/25/30/35/40 bonus stagger.
Cooldown: 8 seconds

Evade (W)

Windrunner becomes suddenly inspired by the nearby winds and moves swiftly enough to evade all enemy attacks for 2/3/4/5/6 seconds.
For this duration her attack and movement speed are increased by 10/15/20/25/30%.
Cooldown: 9 seconds

Trueshot (E) Passive

Every attack deals 2/4/6/8/10 + 0.2x Magic + 1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2% of targets current hit points, in bonus physical damage.
This can apply Critical Strike and is increased by Empower and other on-hit effects.

Vengeful Winds (R) {Ultimate}

For the next 3 seconds critical strike chance and damage is massively increased.
Critical strike chance is increased by 75% and critical strike damage is increased by 200/300%.
Cooldown: 10/8 seconds

Credits

BTNMoonLight
By Paladon

BTNFireSwordStormv12
By xDeathKnightx

BTNBreakingSmash
By PeeKay

Keywords:
Hero Defence, Defence, Defense, Hero Defense, Co-op, Coop, Team, PvE, Bosses, Waves, Enemies
Contents

Build and Defend 0.9.3 (Map)

Reviews
17:16, 17th Oct 2014 Orcnet: The tutorial for the map is good, especially giving a lot of essential use for all of the objects that will partake in the game, however it was lacking materials that is capable of enhancing heroes in early stages...

M

17:16, 17th Oct 2014
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

The tutorial for the map is good, especially giving a lot of essential use for all of the objects that will partake in the game, however it was lacking materials that is capable of enhancing heroes in early stages, instead of little supplies of potions and gear, it would be great if you can deal more items that are worth a cheap price, as same as units that can be trained, they start weak and low in price, there would be upgrades that will make them stronger for later waves.

The waves can be given a conditional difficulty where players can choose if the waves can be played in easy or hard, though this is a suggestion you might want to add to increase game play, lastly terrain should be given some little aspect of life for a change, the huge chunk of cliff on the waves' region is not right in some cases instead you might want to just add some tile variation and doodads to keep in some nice detail if you have no much plans to build a master made design.

Overall the map can be still be approved, but maximize your changes to give in a good result for the map, also its lacking some quest menu I suggest you add those incase some players did not follow some of the Instructor's messages for the game.

Level 4
I'm going to use this post as a list of the upcoming changes and known bugs.
At the moment I am not aware of any.
Massive changes to terrain and intro system have been added.

All feedback and criticism are welcome. Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 21
Truly a cheap map which strongly lacks of basic stuff. Here are the reasons:-

BAD POINTS:-
- The game is really unbalanced. There are some spells which are overpowered. They are Lunar Arrow, Breath of Fire, Immolation, Frost Nova and Tornado. Some of them even have low cooldown so I can spam them multiple times. Immolation is the lord of the unbalanced spells. The strange thing about it is that my mana increases when I use it and decreases only when it reaches 100. Perhpaps because you set the mana regeneration of all heroes to -1 and I don't really know why doing this
- The terrain is terrible. No doodads at all, no tile variation and just Dirt in the battlefield and Brick in the starting area
- When I tested the Demon Hunter, the Sea Boss cursed me and then it didn't move or attack anymore
- The problem with the hotkeys of the Demon Hunter seems clear. You let Meteor have the "W" hotkey while you say in its description it is "Q". I think it's not hard to fix this
- An icon for a passive skill has an active one (Moon Armor) while two skills have passive icons when I learn them (Demonic Power and Starlight Restoration)

Those crucial issues are enough. I'll go directly to suggestions:-

SUGGESTIONS:-
- The skills I mentioned above must be weakened. You can either increase their cooldown (not less than 5 seconds increase) or decrease their power, it's your choice. The other heroes instead should be made stronger
- Fix the problem of the hotkeys. Just go to the Object Editor and find the Meteor skill
- Do something for that empty flat terrain. Add some doodads to decorate the terrain (archways, benches, banners etc...) and add some Rough Dirt and Grass on all that Dirt. Some other tiles on the Brick would also be nice like Black Marble and Round Tiles

OVERALL RESULT
To end my review, I'd say the map requires much more effort. Only those issues are enough for me to say that I give this map 1/5 and vote for REJECTION!

Level 4
Oh I probably should have mentioned before that the map isn't complete, that I was focusing more on the game mechanics before doing the visuals (terrain, icons and other issues like balancing)

I think the initial reason why those skills were so overpowered was because I was doing a lot of testing in single player and could never progress far enough to test bosses. For that reason either enemies healths were reduced or spammable skills were amplified. I will test and adjust these values accordingly.

Immolation is the lord of the unbalanced spells.
I agree, this hero was designed before the implementation of the Empower system and I didn't relook at him before, causing his damage output to be much higher than initially intended. This will be adjusted accordingly. Likewise with similiarly overpowered skills.

Perhpaps because you set the mana regeneration of all heroes to -1 and I don't really know why doing this
There is a system in place called Empower, check the description. And the -1 is the reduction of this over time. I decided to allow players to enjoy the game without having to worry about mana costs.

The terrain is terrible. No doodads at all, no tile variation and just Dirt in the battlefield and Brick in the starting area
I'll change this is as soon as possible.

When I tested the Demon Hunter, the Sea Boss cursed me and then it didn't move or attack anymore
I shall investigate this, thanks.

The problem with the hotkeys of the Demon Hunter seems clear. You let Meteor have the "W" hotkey while you say in its description it is "Q". I think it's not hard to fix this
Yes I was aware of this, and commented soon after advising not to play him on comment. (this has been removed when I changed the first comment)

An icon for a passive skill has an active one (Moon Armor) while two skills have passive icons when I learn them (Demonic Power and Starlight Restoration)
Will be changed asap.

Thank you all for your feedback, I shall address those issues immediately.

Last edited:
Level 4
Upcoming changes and fixes in version 0.9:

-Terrain changes
-Fixed Icon, placement and hotkey bugs (Demon Hunter and Priestess of the Moon)
-Balances to overpowered abilities:
Immolation (reduced from 6-30 to 1-9; area reduced)
Lunar Arrow (cooldown increased from 3s to 8s)
Breath of Fire (Magic scaling ratio reduced from 2x to 0.75x; early game effective damage reduced by approx. 5, deals approx 6 damage now on first level; additionally cooldown increased from 6s to 8s)
Frost Nova (damage severely reduced from 8-40 to 3-15)
Tornado (cooldown increased from 4s to 8s)

Blademaster had an ability replaced.
He no longer has hidden strike (Goes invisible and charges towards an enemy, when hitting it he deals area damage and reduces armor) but now has a melee range strike that deals damage in a line. (4-20 damage; with the ability to critically strike, to synergise with his crit strategy)

These changes to the terrain are not permanent, I shall modify them further and add more detail, or more effective pathing. Comments and suggestions for the terrain would be highly appreciated. Should there be two portals and therefore two directions for enemies to come from? The lanes that have now been added allows me to create a whole variety of new skills such as a temporary blocking to disrupt enemy movement. I look forward to adding all forms of new content in future additions.

The map has been changed and almost all of the above reviews points have been addressed, if anyone would be so kind as to give me another review, comment or just give their general thoughts. I would be most grateful.

I shall draw my attention to fixing bugs, imbalanced and terrain instead of adding new content for the next while. Many thanks for the above reviews and comments.

Last edited:
Level 4
Major updates incoming.
Lots of terrain changes, adding an intro/explanation and lots of other minor changes.
Will release it as soon as I've ironed out some new bugs.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions, recommendations or thoughts.

With update 0.9.3 the intro system has been added, feedback on this or bug reporting would be much appreciated.
Does anyone know how to refresh the display image of the map?

Last edited:
Level 6
Hello Inflicted,

I just wanted to let you know that I played your map with a friend. It was pretty fun, but my overall impression is that it's not ready for a public release.

There were not enough heroes, not enough items, not enough waves, and the whole thing felt unpolished... it didn't even let us know that we won the game at the end :(

Also some items are underpowered while others are overpowered. I'm not sure if difficulty scales for more players, but we were able to beat it with minimal difficulty on 2 player.

I will give a more thorough review soon,

Mech

Level 1
issue: downtime / no player control over gameflow
fix: add -skip to skip tutorial, add -go to start lvl (if number of heroes in PvE area >= number of players)

issue: peon is underused
fix: add inventory to peon, make it act as a mule as well as a builder

issue: bosses stop moving after casting spells & mobs start running towards circle of life instead of attacking me when i become untargetable for a second (mirror image)
fix: add a trigger that orders all mobs to attack-move to the center of PvE area if there are alive heroes in PvE area (that way they will attack closest hero.. kinda), if no player-controlled heroes are alive, order to attack-move to the location of circle of power. maybe have this repeated every few seconds.

suggestions:
  • after round ends, teleport hero of each player to position of their peon, that way i can tp myself exactly where i want.
  • add another circle of power into base area that tps me infront of portal where mobs spawn. forcing me to walk the same path over and over is frustrating.
conclusion:
overall, a really good effort and i'm enjoying playing the map. i have only tried blademaster, but once the issues with control over gameflow been fixed i'll try others.

i really like all the game mechanics you made (crit, rage, stagger). you have a lot of work ahead of you, as i am sure you are aware, so i hope you keep at it. :) very good start!

3/5 for current version :)

Last edited:
Level 4
Many thanks, yes it feels far from finished. But I am glad you enjoyed playing it.
Unfortunately studies alongside the decline of warcraft3 players have stunted my progress, but once I am on holiday I will be more than happy to finish it off.

Thanks again for the support.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The start sequence with the Instructor is quite useless.
The Druid of the Talon is practically invincible.
The portal waves end abruptly without no mention or victory.
Terrain could use some work.

Not a bad idea overall.

Level 4
The start sequence with the Instructor is quite useless.
The Druid of the Talon is practically invincible.
The portal waves end abruptly without no mention or victory.
Terrain could use some work.

Not a bad idea overall.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately the development of this map had not been continued in many months.

In the next update changes will be made to Druid of the Talon.

More waves shall be added with a final boss and a victory display.

Terrain needs a lot of work, I am aware of this.

Considering moving this onto the Dota 2 engine, but if I go against that idea future development will go into this map.