• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Assault on the Dark Portal v1.2b

Assault on the Dark Portal

About

After a humiliating defeat at the hands of humans on Lordaeron, the Orcs have failed to corrupt Halahk and thus been given another task; liberate the Dark Portal from a group of traitorous Orcs and summon their Daemon Masters into the World of Azeroth.

The map is a “sequel” to my other map, ‘The Rescue of Halahk’, the pretty-small-and-simple storyline follows after the events of that map. You have the option to A) Play alone in Single Player, B) Play in Single Player but with a Computer AI ally, or C) Play with a friend in Multiplayer. If you play alone in Single Player, the enemies are handicapped by 30%.

The map, like The Rescue of Halahk, has no upkeep, adds new content to your race (new units and a new building) and the max food is 300. But you can also train 4 heroes this time, which can level up to 20. Each hero’s abilities have 6 levels, while their ultimates have 2 levels (can be learnt at levels 10 and 20).

Heroes

Enemy heroes cannot level up, but they start off strong enough to aid their army, and even prove victorious. They also can’t train any other heroes asides from those who they have.
- The players can train either of the four Orcish heroes and use them.
- The Undead Bastion controls two heroes: a level 6 Dreadlord and a level 6 Death Knight.
- The Moon Sentinels control one hero: a level 13 Priestess of the Moon.
- One of the human bases controls a level 17 Archmage, while the other one controls a level 17 Paladin.
- The Portal’s Guardians are aided by a Level 20 Pit Lord and Gargath Bloodbath, a hero who’s a mix between a Blademaster and a Pit Lord.

Tips

• Coordinate with your ally, take an expansion early and take out as many creep camps as possible.
  • Destroy both the Undead Bastion and the Moon Sentinels and expand at their bases.
  • Do not attack the Human bases without having liberated the Dark Portal.

Here are a few screenshots; mostly creeping with AI and attacking the Undead and Night Elf bases.
aotdp8.jpg
aotdp7.jpg
aotdp6.jpg
aotdp5.jpg
aotdp4.jpg
aotdp3.jpg
aotdp2.jpg
aotdp1.jpg

Enemies

Undead Bastion
The Undead Bastion has a mediocre base, but it is heavily defended by Spirit and Nerubian Towers. They will not train any Gargoyles, Frost Wyrms or Shades, so be prepared for frontline assaults, rushes and make sure you have anti-spellcasters.

Moon Sentinels
Like the Undead Bastion, they have a mediocre base, rather lightly protected by Ancient Protectors, but it is hard to access their Moon Wells and their Wisps, so your best bet would be siege weapons. Also be prepared to counter heavy resistance from the Priestess of the Moon, her archers, her huntresses and her druids.

Infernal Blood Clan
The Infernal Blood Clan is the hardest enemy in this map; they have a humongous base and a load of resources, and will constantly attack your bases while heavily defending theirs. Attacking them together would be your best bet.

Human Alliance
The Human Alliance is between the Undead Bastion/Moon Sentinels and the Infernal Blood Clan in terms of difficulty; they will constantly send attack waves (Pink sends spellcaster-based waves, whereas Light Blue sends physical combatants). They require teamwork to be defeated, and can only be crushed once the Dark Portal has been liberated.
Author's Note

Hope you enjoy it, any comments, reviews and feedback would be appreciated! :]
Credits

Resources:
levigeorge1617 for the Axe Troll model (used by the Troll Headhunter)

Other
Also thanks to my friends Danker, for the motivation to start and complete this map and to Purple Psycho Sandwich for helping me with some ideas. Thanks guys! :]
v1.2b
- If an AI tries to pick up the Silver key that opens the gate now, the key will be dropped from its hero's inventory. (Note, it might try to pick it up again, but it gives up after its army moves away a bit, i.e. to combat, heading back to base, around the map, etc).

v1.2
- Enemy heroes can now gain levels.
- Reduced Priestess of the Moon's level to 5 (from 13), Dreadlord's to 3 (from 6), Death Knight's to 2 (from 6) and Paladin and Archmage's to 10 (from 17).
- Added a secret Tavern where you can instantly revive your heroes, but not hire neutral ones.
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from training a fourth hero.
- Fixed Warlock Training's icon position (was set to the same as the Shaman's).
- Burning Legion units will now hold position (Pit Lord used to roam around).
- Razormane Scouts in the creep camp within the players' base's radius will now drop items properly (used ot not drop any items).

v1.1b
- Fixed a bug where Bruttilidon killed his comrades at the Dark Portal.
- Fixed AI attacking the player...for real this time.
- Added the Demolish ability to Peons, which allows them to "sell" one of your buildings for 50% refund.
- Added two Watch Towers to each players' base.

v1.1
- Fixed AIs not attacking
- AIs will now attack creep camps
- Added version number in the map's name name
- Changed Troll Berserkers' and Warlocks' soundsets (from Headhunters'/Shamans' to Rokhan's/Grom's)
- Fixed Wyvern's description (contained misinformation about being able to attack land units)
- Fixed Spirit Lodge's description (contained misinformation about being able to train and upgrade Spirit Walkers)
- Fixed Feral Spirit Level 4-6 tooltip (typo on Wolves' damage)
- Bruttilidon will now be paused when he is (almost killed)
- Bruttilidon's Rain of Fire damage from 50 (+30 per second) with max of 250 per wave has been increased to 125 (+30 per second) with max of 600 per wave.
- Bruttilidon's strength, agility and intelligence increased by 100, 40 and 60.
- Bruttilidon's base health and health regeneration have been increased by 450 and 2/sec.
- Added a new creep camp below the Fountains of Power for each player's base.
- Fixed Pig Farms not being able to use Reinforced Burrows upgrade.
- Fixed a bug with Pig Farms, allowing them to be placed on any type of terrain and even above units/structures.
- The Dark Portal is now invulnerable.
- Fixed a bug that didn't kill the players' units if they entered the human shield area without having secured the portal.
- Raised terrain a bit.

v1.0
- Released

To-Do List
Nothing, for now.
Keywords:
altered, melee, campaign, orcs, humans, undead, night elf, elves, dark, portal, demons, barrens, derp
Contents

Assault on the Dark Portal v1.2b (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2012/Sep/12 14:00:46 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Comment: [Approved] Staff Contact - Rules
Level 8
Damn, thought AI would ignore the key. Updating the map, now they key will be dropped when AI tries to pick it up. It might try to be persistent and try again, but after its army moves away a bit (i.e. around the map, heading back to base, going for an enemy's base, in combat again, etc), it gives up.

Level 28
Just finished it as single player. Was indeed good, but I found a few issues with the AI:

* The blue humans sent one attack force at the gate's opening, and after that sent only their paladin.
* The infernals just sat there under attack for a while before retaliating (though I realize this may be because of the large amount of units on the map).
* The night elf and undead bases seem to kill creeps but leave the items.

Other than that, the map is overall quite good, just frustrating enough at first to make you want to keep going.

Level 8
Looks like a good co-op map; will download and test ^^

I hope you enjoy it :]

* The blue humans sent one attack force at the gate's opening, and after that sent only their paladin.

That's weird, will investigate it.

* The infernals just sat there under attack for a while before retaliating (though I realize this may be because of the large amount of units on the map).

Hmm...never occured to me, but will look into this as well.

* The night elf and undead bases seem to kill creeps but leave the items.

That was intentional, actually. Wasn't sure if to allow AI to get items or not when creeping. But if AI feels too easy/un-challenging because of that, I will change it.

Other than that, the map is overall quite good, just frustrating enough at first to make you want to keep going.

Thank you. :)

Level 15
It was a really cool and creative map. :) I played as single and i could won. The terrain is okay, maybe a few more rocks, doodads would be nice, but it is okay.
The units are almost the same. It is okay like that, it is cool, however, i think you should import a few custom things to make the gameplay more spectacular. But it is not really necessary.
And one more thing: you should make the human shield to damage the orc units like drain 2 Hp per second. :)
I rate this map 5/5 and i hope i see form you more cool maps.

Level 8
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :]
I will add more rocks and doodads here and there when I update it again, and maybe change the shield to something like 5-10HP drained a second (I put it to instantly killing units so that players would have to destroy the Orcs first but still have 2 opponents instead of destroying the humans then having 1 left :p).
As for custom things for tecthrees, I would add a more custom content to them (i.e. new units, upgrades and stuff), but I'm currently busy with another project, so, most of my focus goes to that (and learning JASS). ^^'

Level 2
Finally had the time to play with my brother and:

The Hero Tauren Chieftian One spell ressurection is bugged, when i click that ability it doesn't show in my skills and when I die I don't revive D:< Gameplay is a bit buggy, after a while only the undead was attacking us after the elf attack twice they attacked no longer. When we opened the gate the light blue human only attacked with his hero, and the orc base did nothing either. But I like the atmosphere and idea of the gameplay. But could be improved. For now, 3/5

Level 3
Its been years but the map holds up pretty good.
Though i did find a minor issue that the orcs no longer attack. Will have to see if it only happened that one time I did play the map.