• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jack-o-Lantern 2014 v1

JACK-o-LANTERN

2014 v1

STORY
Toward the end of October a strange glowing portal suddenly appeared in the enchanted forest which is not far from your village. Several Heroes were asked to take up the challenge of finding out what lay on the other side of the portal, if anything at all. As they stepped through the portal, they heard an eerie voice saying...
"The fright of night rules this land... Seek what thou needs with thy hand... Claim my treasures as thine own... Only then shall the portal return thee home..."
It is now up to you (the player) to take on the role of these Heroes and discover what is on the other side of the portal. There will be a challenge laid before you, and you must overcome this challenge, or the Heroes will forever be stuck in this forsaken land. In 2 player mode, the challenge becomes easier in some ways, but more difficult in others. In 3 player mode the challenge is enhanced further.

MAP FEATURES
* Supports 1 to 3 Players, and the map adjusts itself according to the number of players
* Map Info (F9) which contains Storyline, Gameplay Rules, Hints\Tips, Codes, Credits, etc
* You get to control 2 Heroes. A Demon Hunter "Reaper" and a Demon Hunter "Bladewing"
......it's all up to you to figure out how to survive long enough in order to meet the requirement for Victory

* You will come across various enemy Heroes with whom you'll have to do battle
* Heroes can reach as high as Level 20
* There are some customized Spells
* There are some customized Items
* Suiting weather conditions for this time of year
* Your enemies will include, Gargoyles, Succubus', Hell Raisers, Death Knights, Howling Spirits, Wraiths, Ghouls, Mummies, Zombies, Spectres, Skeletons, Undead Dragons, Undead Battlelords, Unholy Priests, Flaming creatures from unknown realms, Spiders, Rats, and more!
* Most of not nearly all of the units appearing in this map have been modified in some way, or are completely new custom units
* All throughout the gameplay, the enemies (seen and unseen), will interact by taunting you when in combat range, or from a distance just to unnerve you. Plenty of spooky sounds to be heard while playing too
* There are customized buildings which allow a player to choose from a range of mercenaries for hire
* The earn as you kill Bounty Reward system will help keep the Gold count up for when you need it the most
* The Leaderboard tracks the amount of Kills by human player(s) as well as the AI players
* The Leaderboard can be hidden or shown again by use of code commands
* The gameplay itself is a custom hybrid of Survival and Scavenger Hunt
* The map is Halloween themed, but it's fun to play anytime of the year
* I could go on ranting about what's in here.... but check it out for yourself

CREDITS
* Map Redesigned by Stormblade. Gameplay Concept by Stormblade and Raven Goddess (September 2012). The map terrain is a heavily modified version of Blizzard Entertainment's melee map for the The Frozen Throne entitled "06) Jack-o-Lantern". This is the first public release of this customized map, although it's been worked on and tested over a period of 2 years now. It *should* be the "Final Version" but you know how those bugs have a bad habit of showing up when least expected....

MAP TESTERS (Special Thanks Goes To)
* Raven Goddess
* Lord Dracos

RESOURCES
* Nearly all resources found within this map are either standard in-game object data created by Blizzard Entertainment, or modified object data by Stormblade. Anything else found in this map which is not stock or modified stock can all be found at..... www.thehiveworkshop.com

SPECIAL THANKS
* Goes out to the Staff of The Hive Workshop for maintaining such a great website, and also a very special thank you goes out to the following people for contributing their time and unique skills in order to help make the WarCraft 3 Community a much better and fun place :

USER INTERFACE "NERUBIAN" - used in this map was made by...
* unwirklich

CUSTOM MODELS - used in this map were made by...
* FrIkY
* -Grendel
* Skizzik

CUSTOM SKINS - used in this map were made by...
* 67chrome
* Daenar7
* Pins

CUSTOM ICONS - used in this map were made by...
* Lord Stormblade
* CrazyRussian
* ~Void~
* Donut3.5
* JollyD
* Kimberly
* PeeKay
* Marcos DAB
* kola
* Morbent
* Horn
* Mad
* Golden-Drake
* Palaslayer
* GooS

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

SCREENSHOTS

234844-albums7717-picture90844.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90838.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90836.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90839.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90843.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90842.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90841.jpg

234844-albums7717-picture90840.jpg

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Changelog

Version 1 - Released October 24th 2014

Keywords:
Halloween, Samhain, haunted, undead, survival, scavenger, scavenger hunt, treasure, spooky, evil,
Contents

Jack-o-Lantern 2014 v1 (Map)

Reviews
Moderator: StoPCampinGn00b Jack-o-Lantern by Lord Stormblade & Raven Goddess RATINGS Scores[/COLOR]] Gameplay: 19/30 Terrain & Aesthetics: 15/20 Total Score: 34/50 Explanation[/COLOR]]5 Stars: 47+ 4 Stars: 40-47 3 Stars: 25-39 2 Stars...

M

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Jack-o-Lantern
by Lord Stormblade & Raven Goddess
navbits_start.gif
RATINGS

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

Scores[/COLOR]] Gameplay: 19/30
Terrain & Aesthetics: 15/20
Total Score: 34/50

Explanation[/COLOR]]5 Stars: 47+
4 Stars: 40-47
3 Stars: 25-39
2 Stars: 10-24
1 Stars: 1-9

navbits_start.gif
CRITIQUE
Gameplay:
In short, the map's gameplay is a competitive survival/rpg map that uses the standard combat system. Each control two heroes, and this can be played in multiplayer or singleplayer.

The map is solidly polished with clear quest information, tips, and tool-tip descriptions. The heroes and enemies are somewhat entertaining to interact with due to them a few custom abilities based off of default ones. The items are very useful. The map is balanced and is quite challenging, but conserving items and small unit micro can be the key to win.

Overall, I didn't exactly see any huge problems in the map, but there isn't that extra amount of customization and originality to make the gameplay stand out. Lovely job on making the map easy to understand though!

19/30
Terrain & Aesthetics:
The tile usage was visually better than most maps. The height leveling seemed to be used perfectly, and cliffs were barely used except on the edges (which doesn't look bad at all).

The entirety of the map is quite decorative, but it could use more of a Halloween theme than just 'slightly darker themed doodads'. Not bad of a job in make the map look nice visually.

15/20
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The only way a map can be approved is if it follows the map submission rules that apply to the map type.
- All rules are now followed, map approved!
navbits_start.gif
NOTES
Feel free to contact me about this review on this map page OR message me about anything. (+2) reputation points for taking your time to upload this map to Hive.
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Level 32
The quality of the map is enough to be acceptable. The design of the map was clever, nice job pulling of the jack-lantern design while making the terrain look natural and a little blizzard like. The interface and the icons were great to, but I feel spooky doodads, actually doodads in general can be placed more around the map. The gameplay is average, it's nothing special but it's fully functional.

The map is now set to await update, I'm waiting on that changelog!

-SCN

Level 32
Review finished :cgrin:

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Jack-o-Lantern
by Lord Stormblade & Raven Goddess
navbits_start.gif
RATINGS

Scores

Explanation

Gameplay: 19/30
Terrain & Aesthetics: 15/20
Total Score: 34/50

5 Stars: 47+
4 Stars: 40-47
3 Stars: 25-39
2 Stars: 10-24
1 Stars: 1-9

navbits_start.gif
CRITIQUE
Gameplay:
In short, the map's gameplay is a competitive survival/rpg map that uses the standard combat system. Each control two heroes, and this can be played in multiplayer or singleplayer.

The map is solidly polished with clear quest information, tips, and tool-tip descriptions. The heroes and enemies are somewhat entertaining to interact with due to them a few custom abilities based off of default ones. The items are very useful. The map is balanced and is quite challenging, but conserving items and small unit micro can be the key to win.

Overall, I didn't exactly see any huge problems in the map, but there isn't that extra amount of customization and originality to make the gameplay stand out. Lovely job on making the map easy to understand though!

19/30
Terrain & Aesthetics:
The tile usage was visually better than most maps. The height leveling seemed to be used perfectly, and cliffs were barely used except on the edges (which doesn't look bad at all).

The entirety of the map is quite decorative, but it could use more of a Halloween theme than just 'slightly darker themed doodads'. Not bad of a job in make the map look nice visually.

15/20
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The only way a map can be approved is if it follows the map submission rules that apply to the map type.
- All rules are now followed, map approved!
navbits_start.gif
NOTES
Feel free to contact me about this review on this map page OR message me about anything. (+2) reputation points for taking your time to upload this map to Hive.
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Last edited:
Level 1
I dont like it; i thought that this map was of Halloween but the main Heroes are illidan and maihev *-* (boring) and the map environment is wrong ; and the gameplay is odd.

The map should be more dark and all the heroes,units should be from halloween; and more decoration =I

Level 32
I dont like it; i thought that this map was of Halloween but the main Heroes are illidan and maihev *-* (boring) and the map environment is wrong ; and the gameplay is odd.

The map should be more dark and all the heroes,units should be from halloween; and more decoration =I
The heroes are Illidan and Maiev with custom spells. Anyway, I personally found the game a little entertaining and challenging. The environment is made by blizzard and stated to be highly edited by the author to make it more decorative. The theme could suit more Halloween, that's a good point of yours but that's more about preference than quality.

Why have I shared my opinion on your comment? Compared to other 1 star rated user maps, this would probably be the best one star map of it's kind. Your rating is very questionable, but I have chosen to not delete your rating because you did manage to share some feedback and you are giving an honest opinion (Ratings with the objective to troll or provoke the map uploader will be deleted).

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Dat 1 rating though.

Edit:

Do you think you'd get motivated over 1 star and comment like this?

The problem about hive's rating system is that anyone can rate resources, without any kind of experience over the development process of that resource.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This map hasn't much really going on. It could direly be improved.
Some stuff to look on:
-Sky Barges drop units between trees where they can only be reached by archers or by Infernal Machine and the Treants spell
-units that are not heroes have the hero glow
-some items and doodads look the same, as a Shadow Strike hat effect

There are events like the Infernals coming down on places. More events could take place to increase the diversity of the map. Other than that the player has just to destroy everything on the way. Nothing really special sorry. Not to mention that the spells are basically WarCraft III ones with changed icons (that sucked, at least the icons could've been kept).
Things like a creature that temporarily spawns from time to time that is invulnerable and powerful must be avoided by the heroes until it disappears. I mean the survival element should be increased with critical moments. As for hunting it's supposed to be captivating not all so alike. It would be interesting to have some timed quests or something. Until now I just used money to buy units who's type is that you basically fight. I think buying things should help the hero's powers grow or at least if it's supposed to be units, they should be different from what the player's supposed to fight.
I haven't finished it because it got too monotonous.

So... there's room for improvement.