• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gideon - Wrath of the Old Ones III

Gideon: Wrath of The Old Ones - Chapter Three: Due Vendetta

AT LONG LAST! IT'S FINALLY HERE!
The final chapter of the Gideon saga has finally come! Months ago, Magnus Gideon, a terrible worgen warlord tore through the peaceful town of Shillington, killing all it's inhabitants and leaving an undead army in it's wake. Arthur Lightbron, a warrior from the nearby town of Hackfort, chased Gideon to the ruins of Vargulf, fighting his way through feral worgen, ruthless undead, powerful Vrykul and Gideon's own horrible minions! Now Arthur finds himself in the dark dimmension of the Netherverse, and he shall not leave until he slays Gideon and puts a stop to his villainous plans, whatever they may be!

This final entry into the "Gideon" series draws the story of Magnus Gideon and Arthur Lightbron to a close. You will finally find out why Gideon is working with the Facelss Ones,

Gameplay
The "Gideon - Wrath of the Old Ones" series is a set of RPG-style maps in the style of the Rexxar campaign and Diablo 2. You will control a small set of heroes and battle against a massive horde of seemingly endless enemies, collecting treasure and experience along the way.

Features
- RPG Gauntlet-style gameplay! Power through hordes of enemies with a variety of skills.
- Four dynamic heroes! You are not alone. Use the strength and abilitiy of your ally heroes to help you!
- Revival Stone! Should you fall in battle, you
- Max Level increased! Level up all the way to 25!
- Health and Mana orbs! Heal your hero and his allies without taking up inventory space!
- Horrific foes! Battle over 20+ diverse enemies all inspired by Lovecraft lore.
- Terrifying Boss Battles! Challenge yourself against furious bosses with many powers and spells designed to crush you! Can you survive?
- Secrets revleaed! Find out the truth behind Gideon, his motivations and his actions by collecting the pieces of his private journal scattered throughout the horrid realm of R'lyeh!

Previous Parts

Part One: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/gideon-wrath-olds-ones-i-246162
Part Two: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/gideon-wrath-old-ones-ii-248654/
The Necromancer: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/necromancer-249203/

Lore Addendum

Gideon: Wrath of the Old Ones is a series of maps set in Angora. A world similar to the main Warcraft universe, but different in many significant ways. In this universe, The Alliance (The Arthurian Alliance) and The Horde (The Crimson Horde) are shaky allies, working together only out of a mutual interest of survival as war and death has reduced the numbers of all sapient races down to a tenth of what they once were. Great beasts of untold power known as "Nether Princes" watch over the world of Angora from a horrific realm known as "The Netherverse." Causing chaos and bring woe whenever they're able to.

A grand alliance of creatures from every race known as "The Peacekeepers" was established after the first coming of Desopath. Currently led by a powerful wizard known as "Kelen the Seeker" The Peacekeepers act as a mediator organization between all the other races and kingdoms. Despite their efforts to maintain world peace, not everyone has a high opinion of them. The Scarlet Crusade, for example, openly despises them. Seeing them as a symbol of Arthurian political corruption.

Allies of The Arthurian Empire: The Bronze Alliance (Dwarves), The Silver Covenant (High Elves), The Argus Empire (Draenei), The Empire of Elune (Night Elves), The Gulrgal Clan (Murlocs).

Allies of The Crimson Horde: The Sons of Ahmaji (Jungle Trolls), The Sons of Zul'Jin (Forest Trolls), The Brujahk Clan (Ogres), The Black Hand (Redeemed Undead), The Hooftar Tribe (Tauren).

Neutral/Unalligned Empires: The Vargulf Liberation Front (Worgen), The Remnants (Redeemed Undead), The Nasajhar Empire (Naga), The Blood Wake (Blood Elves), The Nomads (Gnomes), The Steamwheedle Cartel (Goblins), The Riverpaw Tribe (Gnolls), The Blaugal Clan (Murlocs), The Underwarth Tribes (Kobolds), The Stonefist Tribe (Ogres).

Evil Organizations: The Slavers, The Scarlet Crusade, The Undead Plague, The Burning Legion, The Eldritch.

Credits

Map Created by:
Homor

Models, Icons and Skins provided by:
Callahan
General Frank
-Grendel
Hanza-Ru
JollyD
Kuhneghetz
Mc !
NaserKingArthas
PyramidHe@d
Proxy
Pyritie
Sellenisko
Sweet Oblivion
Tr!KzZ

Note: If your model appears without credit, please inform me so I may include you in this list.

Special Thanks:
The HiveWorkshop
Blizzard Entertainment seven years ago
Rao Dao Zao
Hell_Master
Direfury
Stefan.K
Admiral Proudmoore
SeedinAethyr
Suhaild23
Whoever drew the loading screen
Everyone who played a "Gideon" map or "The Necromancer"
And you, the player!

"This is the story of a famous dog,
for the dog that chases it's tail shall be dizzy."

- George Clinton

Keywords:
RPG, Campaign, Gideon, Darkhammer, Lightbron, Adventure, Brawler, Gauntlet, Fantasy, Original, Warcraft, Single Player
Contents

Gideon - Wrath of the Old Ones III (Map)

Reviews
15:48, 7th May 2015 Orcnet: Ah, the final installment of the RPG dungeon crawling map! I went back to play Part 1 to check out again the story behind it, as much as I did before, I rejected it and soon after played it again and approved it...

M

15:48, 7th May 2015
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

Ah, the final installment of the RPG dungeon crawling map! I went back to play Part 1 to check out again the story behind it, as much as I did before, I rejected it and soon after played it again and approved it after because of the story, though the game play is much of an improvement, this sets the last story into a good condition.

If you haven't played the first or second, this third map already sets the player's hero to have a strong item already set in the hero's gear, so that you may able to fight off the map with a few set of items.

The creeps are no much problem to handle, just a few understanding from the boss fight's region and you'll survive the game.

Overall, map is good and had fun after, can be approved.

Level 28
* When you pick up the helmet, Arthur says he found the gloves.
* Dialogues sometimes interfere with each other. For example, knocking down the second door while the Pandaren is still talking after being rescued.
* The enemies on the other side of the bridge after the dwarf's island are all clustered at the gate.
* The dwarf's armor doesn't cast Divine Shield like it says.
* After breaking the Elder Thing's door, the Pandaren repeats his line from earlier about having kids (and his name changes to "What the fuck happened to my life". One wonders what his parents were going through at his birth...).
* The Great Shoggoth's diary has "took his wife's name" twice.
* When in the inventory, the diaries refer to Magnus as Mangus. I know he's a dog, but still.

Having played the other three maps, my main gripe (aside from not keeping the items from the previous level) is that the abilities stop leveling too soon, while enemies continue to grow stronger. You should add more ability levels.

Last edited:
Level 18
Great post, cleavinghammer! Some great advice all around.

1. I'll get that fixed.
2. Yeah, that's a problem I was afraid people would run into. There's a lot of dialogue in this map and naturally if you rush on through you're gonna see it overlap a lot. I'll put in a fix when I figure one out. For now, I recommend not smashing any gates open until a dialogue sequence ends if you care about the story.
3. Should I separate the enemies? Space them out a bit? Or just delete some?
4. That's embarrassing. I'll see what I can do.
5. That is also embarrassing. Gotta switch those.
6. That'll be easy enough to fix.
7. That too. Consider it done.
8. I was a bit worried giving the player extra abilities levels would make them too strong, but if you think it's a good idea I'll give it a try.
9. When or if I collect all these maps into a single campaign, I'll see what I can do about carrying over items/abilities/stats. But of course that'll be a huge undertaking, even with a lot of the work already done.

Thank you so much for your help!

EDIT: All problems addressed/fixed. I set that big cluser of enemies right after the fungal island to a lower acquisition range. Let's see if that doesn't fix the problem at least a little.

Level 28
The thing is, they're already strong enough to go through enemies just by attacking, but that's boring (for example, the second map has the part of the city infested with worgen, I ended up using the cheat to go through them faster since Arthur was already pretty much unkillable anyway). Having stronger abilities wouldn't make the map too easy, just faster.

Also, the dwarf's stun is level four but does less damage than Arthur's.

Also, I don't know if you plan on updating the others, but the first map also has a dialogue bug where talking to the panda for the first time with 5000 gold causes both dialogues (the first and the one where you pay him) to play. After that, the "not enough money" plays whenever you select him until you have 5000 gold, after which the hiring dialogue plays, and finally stops.

Level 18
The thing is, they're already strong enough to go through enemies just by attacking, but that's boring (for example, the second map has the part of the city infested with worgen, I ended up using the cheat to go through them faster since Arthur was already pretty much unkillable anyway). Having stronger abilities wouldn't make the map too easy, just faster.

Also, the dwarf's stun is level four but does less damage than Arthur's.

Also, I don't know if you plan on updating the others, but the first map also has a dialogue bug where talking to the panda for the first time with 5000 gold causes both dialogues (the first and the one where you pay him) to play. After that, the "not enough money" plays whenever you select him until you have 5000 gold, after which the hiring dialogue plays, and finally stops.

Ooh, tricky. If I decide to once-over that older map I'l get that fixed.

Deleted member 237964

D

Deleted member 237964

I can't play it at the moment because i don't have w3 installed but i'm happy to see continuation of Gideon.I will gladly give my review as soon as i install w3.

Level 3
Difficulty level = non-existent. Could have beaten the whole three maps using my nose for army management and control (apart from the last boss fight). But I do appreciate the humor thou :). Also your story telling skill got better through the series, starting from captain of the obvious (1-st part) to filling white space in gameplay, resulting in better engagement into the map.
This chapter salvaged the whole thing, so props to the creator!

Level 6
Dude this is a frigging awesome maps
Love the skin,the character behavior,the cursing hahahaha loving the hell out of the map right at the start
And oh yeah can you add more abilities to the heroes next time maybe a passive ?
Oh and you should make your next masterpiece into a single player campaign maybe the next legacy of the Darkhammer ?
Or maybe tell us the Chronicle of Granis Darkhammer ? am getting all of these crazy ideas man
Anyway loving your map at it best
It's the best hands down

Level 18
Dude this is a frigging awesome maps
Love the skin,the character behavior,the cursing hahahaha loving the hell out of the map right at the start
And oh yeah can you add more abilities to the heroes next time maybe a passive ?
Oh and you should make your next masterpiece into a single player campaign maybe the next legacy of the Darkhammer ?
Or maybe tell us the Chronicle of Granis Darkhammer ? am getting all of these crazy ideas man
Anyway loving your map at it best
It's the best hands down

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! Haha, glad to hear you liked the cursing too :)

If you want more adventures from the Darkhammer clan, you can search "Darkhammer" over on EpicWar to find the old maps I made of the original hero. Of course, they're VERY early maps of mine and so they're riddled with amateurish msitakes - probably why they're not here on Hive.

Level 3
Hey there!

Pros:
+ Cool storyline. Quite original and fun
+ nymphomaniac cursing panda and other likeable characters
+ Cool items
+ Decent and useful skillset on all heroes

Cons:
- 1st map, running around for the goblin shop is a pain. But w/e, not a big one.

- Dialogues.... omg. Whenever I click any NPC, mouthes start moving...... and that's it.
Can't control my toon, can't read no message, can't skip the cutscene entirely either. That's quite annoying. I'm a story-addict kinda guy and having to press F12 every single time a dialogue happens :ogre_rage:
add the cinematic view to it so that dialogues actually HAPPEN and this would be amongst the nicest campaigns around.

- Difficulty level: Map 2, specially. Seriously, all I did was run for it. Every fight wasn't challening enough and the one time my Arthur got lower than 50% hp, I healed him once. Cleared the whole map without using any ultimate spells aside from Raise Dead (sided with the Lich and had 5 full groups of undead armies, wth?).

Amazing job nontheless, had a really cool time playing it. Can't do it again tho, waiting for "dialogues" that don't really happen for the second time would be quite boring, so, yeah.

Still, come up with some spinoffs and what not, you got quite some skill developing a story! Also, cool maps, keep it up!

Rick.

Level 18
Hey there!

Pros:
+ Cool storyline. Quite original and fun
+ nymphomaniac cursing panda and other likeable characters
+ Cool items
+ Decent and useful skillset on all heroes

Cons:
- 1st map, running around for the goblin shop is a pain. But w/e, not a big one.

- Dialogues.... omg. Whenever I click any NPC, mouthes start moving...... and that's it.
Can't control my toon, can't read no message, can't skip the cutscene entirely either. That's quite annoying. I'm a story-addict kinda guy and having to press F12 every single time a dialogue happens :ogre_rage:
add the cinematic view to it so that dialogues actually HAPPEN and this would be amongst the nicest campaigns around.

- Difficulty level: Map 2, specially. Seriously, all I did was run for it. Every fight wasn't challening enough and the one time my Arthur got lower than 50% hp, I healed him once. Cleared the whole map without using any ultimate spells aside from Raise Dead (sided with the Lich and had 5 full groups of undead armies, wth?).

Amazing job nontheless, had a really cool time playing it. Can't do it again tho, waiting for "dialogues" that don't really happen for the second time would be quite boring, so, yeah.

Still, come up with some spinoffs and what not, you got quite some skill developing a story! Also, cool maps, keep it up!

Rick.

Did you remember to turn subtitles on?

Deleted member 237964

D

Deleted member 237964

Shit...i promised to check it out years ago.I will have to do it now!

1 hour later...

And i did it! It's a simple map.Very easy one,but i don't mind it.Despite gameplay that contained nothing more than monster grind i didn't feel bored at all.I only regret that it was so short.Characters were really memorable and well written.I don't mind sex jokes but perhaps there was a bit too many of them? other than this... I really enjoyed reading the dialogues through the entire game.

My only suggestions?

-Add maybe one more island with a side mission on it?
-The only thing that i needed gold for was ressurecting my characters which i did only once at the end boss.Maybe add some more items or a random mercenary camp? At least something that would make gold a bit more useful.
-Instead of 'fire arrow' projectile use Gunner one.I think that bullets are way better than fire arrows,coming out from Dwarven rifle.

And last one...

Continue with this series.I know that there isn't much left to do for main hero but i don't know....give him a new enemy to fight with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Great map, i love it. It has a great history and i love the "bad jokes", specially the one about Sally.. that one it was really funny.

SeedinAethyr

Spam Moderator
Level 11
Played through the entire Gideon series, and I enjoyed it quite a bit! The lighthearted, fun writing kept a smile on my face; the panda was hilarious. I loved the story in act 3 the most. Level-design-wise, level 2 was the best, especially because of the big army that one inevitably built up, and the fair amount of freedom one had when exploring the map (and also the freedom in initial side choice). I spent way too much time playing act 2 because of the ability to charm enemy builders. I think I had more fun with the mechanic knowing that it wasn't intended, but it was legitimately fun to be able to build my own bases, harvest lumber, train units, and approach the map in a different manner. I do wish there was hero continuity between the different maps, but the way that Arthur started each map out was still satisfactory. I also am a big fan of hero parties of >1; it just feels good on the Warcraft III engine. Being able to use a hero party in each map was a very enjoyable factor. The mechanic of dropping health/mana orbs from enemies was very convenient and removed the annoying waiting to regenerate that some maps have. The maps did feel fairly easy except for a few parts (the first 3/4 of act 1, the Starspawn fights, and the Gideon fight), and the availability of gold seemed excessive, though that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the map much. The selection of different items was fun. I've never seen dialog done like it is in these maps before, but I thought it was pretty effective.
Overall, very good!
Next up for me is your Necromancer maps and The Scarlet Crusade!

Level 5
Hello!
This is nice!
The characters are strong overall.
Well, until you have to fight Gideon and wondered what you did wrong in life.
All in all, a great map to play. RECOMMENDED!
Don't forget to play the previous map from this same series too!