• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronovyx

This is an extremely unique RPG that I never seemed to finish. The storyline is awesome, the cinematics are very unique, and the Battle System has never been seen before ever.

It's only about 45 minutes long, but feel free to add your own ending and submit it.

Well worth the download for a truly unique WC3 experience.

Keywords:
chronovyx
Contents

Chronovyx (Campaign)

Reviews
12:59, 3rd Apr 2009, by Rui: It is incomplete, but it'd be a pity to throw this to the bin. It has potential and a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully someone will pick it up and make a game out of it. I have added the Template / Terrain type to...

M

12:59, 3rd Apr 2009, by Rui:
It is incomplete, but it'd be a pity to throw this to the bin. It has potential and a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully someone will pick it up and make a game out of it.
I have added the Template / Terrain type to it.
Approved with a 2/5 (Lacking) rating.

Level 1
couple of bugs:
- the murloc battle when you're questioning the villagers, just before you find the flaming 'loyalno', causes you to forever be locked in "in a battle" mode.
-the undead summoner things of nefarious are waaaaaaaay too hard. you can't hit them or dodge their attacks consistently, and there are like 8 of them.

overall though, great game.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
My review for Chronovyx, by 2v2NE.

This is indeed something original, I don't remember ever having played something like this. Yet, with originality not always comes a wealthy gameplay.
You start with a hero and you continuously receive instructions to go here and there. This is fine, if only it did not go on for the first two missions. I should also note that the dialogs are short, and since there are no quests and the transmitters do not repeat what they said, it becomes confusing to know what to do if you miss the last lines...
...And even if you don't, you will still loose a lot of time going around and figuring out what to do on most missions, since there are no instructions at all.

Next, the camera, which is locked behind the hero's back. I understand the purpose, but sometimes when you climb up mountains, the camera will literally go into the hill, and that's ugly.

Talking about hills and landscape, I cannot give a positive grade on the terrain either. There was a lot of open space (which is understandable, yet still somewhat annoying), with little elevation and ground texture variations.
Hills were probably the thing which angered me the most.

The combat system did not please me much. I was expecting something turn-based, but what I found was a single unit match where you had to press letters... sure must be rare, but it was not very interesting.
Plus, your hero would be engaged in combat even if you tried to stop him. This happened in the last mission, with him attacking the cult members and entering a battle constantly.

Finally, the bugs:
  • There was a battle which was asking me for 2 letters, I think... the system might have been activated twice.
  • When the hero asks if there is anything strange going on, the answer is always the same: an empty portrait answering "No". Even when you talk to sheep.
  • The ''loyalno'' word opening the cult door trigger repeats everytime the hero enters the region in front of the gate.
  • In the first mission, when you head for the end, there are some hills which do not have pathing blockers on them. If you climb that hill, you'll also have some problems trying to get your hero out, because of the camera.
  • The cathedral on the last mission lacks pathing blockers.

Due to the campaign being incomplete, and the several things that need improvement, my rating cannot go any higher than 2/5 (Lacking). Hopefully, somebody will continue it.

Level 31
I would rate this resource by 1/5 and I would suggest it to be Rejected because of it's poor quality. I couldn't test entire campaign since it was too problematic to do so. Here's my review about Chapter One, Two and Three.

1. Description at Hiveworkshop needs to be improved. How about telling your unique story here, in THW?
2. Campaign description also needs to be improved. All I saw was three words.

3. Chapter One:
3.01 Cinematic mode didn't turn on immediately, it looked ugly. This is at the start. All these intervals are not a good idea.
3.02 That camera that keeps changing, sometimes it goes to the ground, it appears down the textures of ground. It's bad. You can notice this in the screenshot below.
clipboard5.jpg

3.03 Infernal has too small Selection Scale rate.
3.04 Camera shakes too strongful. If world would shake like this, mountains would collapse, lol.
3.05 When I select a dead unit on the ground, it has full health points and it can be selected. Why?
3.06 Terrain and eviroment art is lacking. You should work harder than that.
3.07 Starting custom music while standard and blizzard's original music is playing? You must remove that and only then start your own music.
3.08 Camera barely moves while dialogs. Make it variable and changable, it will look much better.
3.09 I couldn't relise who am I and what's going on. All I knew was I have to go, nothing else. Make it more clear.
3.10 Objectives do not exist.

4. Chapter Two:
4.1 Why does it have Orc's campaign loading screen? Chapter One hadn't loading screen at all and this chapter do, and it has Orc's campaign one while you play as human. Also loading screen didn't have description while, in my opinion, it should.
4.2 Objectives do not exist.
4.3 When camera changed and appeared nealy to that red 'whisp' called Floating Entity, camera wasn't locked, I could easily move it and look around the world.
4.4 Camera barely moves while talking to Floating Entity. Add more cameras.
4.5 Terrain and enviroment art is lacking here too.

5. Chapter Three:
5.01 Orcs Loading screen again, same loading screen. Without any word that could be called a description.
5.02 When game started, I heard footman's death sound.
5.03 Ability's named Attack Hot-Key confuses with Hot-Key of command - Attack.
5.04 Fighting system is pretty hard, you should increase the intervals between the time when player must press a button. I couldn't beat that Doom Guard.. Don't think that everyone has keyboard buttons in their heads. This must be balanced.
5.05 Fighting camera got down the ground textures.
5.06 Why Circle of Power appeared down my hero?
5.07 When that circle of power appeared, I couldn't start any fight. You must notice the players. Because it's hard to relise what's going on.
5.08 Nefarious obviously has too small selection scale rate.
5.09 I can't kill Nefarious since I cannot start a fight.
5.10 Why Nefarious' attack sound is Slice? It has no weapon, it hits with it's hands.
5.11 Why items has it's prices and tells me to drop on shop and sell while there is no possiblility to do so?
5.12 As I figured, that circle is there because I'm in fight, so why I don't fight? Please fix your duel systems.

I couldn't play other chapers since I couldn't manage to kill Nefarious because of your defective system of fights. I might keep reviewing other chapters when I will be able to pass this map and only then I will finally decide what my rating this resource deserves.

Rui, I do not think it's a good idea to approve this resource so quickly. It needs LOTS of improvements to earn an approvement, don't you agree?

EDIT: Here goes my review about rest chapters.

6. Chapter Four: (Cinematic)
6.1 Same Orcs Loading screen, you must get something new or at least make it black as the first chaper is.
6.2 Nefarious still has too small selection scale rate.
6.3 While talking to that big blue whisp, camera was boring, try mix it up. Add more cameras because that dialog is quite too long to keep it only one camera.
6.4 I wouldn't say that it's a cinematic, since you could walk and look around. Cinematic contains with 100% gameplay time with Cinematic Mode ON. Order him to walk to that whisp with Cinematic Mode ON instead letting me to do so, or this will be no longer a cinematic. Also add more cameras.
6.5 Why everything ended so quickly and quite harsh? I barely could read the last message of Nefarious because everything ended so quickly and suddenly. You should use Cinematic - Fade Filter to end everything smoothly.

7. Chapter Five:
7.01 Same Orcs loading screen again, jeez, get something new or at least add a description.
7.02 Please turn off the standard music before you start the custom music.
7.03 Camera successfully moves, but it stops and stays for quite long period of time. Never let your camera stop, always make it moving. As Septimus would say, 'Audience wouldn't fall asleep'.
7.04 Why am I able to see the edge of the map? It look awful. You can notice the in the screenshot below.
clipboard6.jpg

7.05 Terrain & enviroment art is pretty lacking.
7.06 Why Villagers has no portrait?
7.07 I used an ability Talk targeting a Sheep, and I actually asked the sheep and Villager with no portrait resposed. Please fix this. Don't make me able to talk to sheep. Also you could make the Questions of yours not that same, mix it up at least a bit.
7.08 You also should make players able to skip the cinematics.
7.09 I tried talking to Hooded Figure and the dialogs was bugged. Villagers responsed and he said that he said everything he knows, after it, Villager responsed. Please fix this.
7.10 Objectives do not exits.
7.11 My camera got down the textures of ground when I stepped on the top of mountain. Screenshot below.
clipboard7.jpg

7.12 When I come closely to the gates, hero repeats the words everytime I enter to that area. How about lauching it only once?
7.13 Items has it's prices and a notice that can be sold.
7.14 I don't know why, but when I restarted the game, that word 'Loyalno' from these small fires wasn't there and when I stepped on the mountain, camera looked at that point and the word wasn't there.
7.15 Why Nefarious is so little? Actually it wasn't clear at all why he was there what's his purpose of being there.
7.16 I've killed Nefarious and what's next? I couldn't relise what next should I do, since there is no objective telling what.

Anyway, I didn't finish this campaign because I couldn't relise how to finish the last chapter. I must say, that story is pretty good and really unique, I liked the story. I also loved the music. This could be pretty good campaign if not these small mistakes in every step. You also should find an experienced terrainer and ask for his help in order to have acceptable or excellent terrain and enviroment. Fixing the bigger part of these points, my rating will increase.

I surely hope you'll work on your project, because it can be pretty successful. Good luck.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That is the reason I added the Template type to it. If the author is not going to work on it, it will most unlikely receive those improvements.

One more thing for the author: the music needs to be turned off, since it starts playing with the campaign's music. I forgot to mention a few things because I was in a haste.

I don't think the resource should be Pending. This is one of the resources that ask for Pending-But-Reviewed status.
Still, I am going to put it to either Pending or Rejected if this resource does not get an improved description and a credit list.

Level 9
I would rate this resource by 1/5 and I would suggest it to be Rejected because of it's poor quality. I couldn't test entire campaign since it was too problematic to do so. Here's my review about Chapter One, Two and Three.

1. Description at Hiveworkshop needs to be improved. How about telling your unique story here, in THW?
2. Campaign description also needs to be improved. All I saw was three words.

3. Chapter One:
3.01 Cinematic mode didn't turn on immediately, it looked ugly. This is at the start. All these intervals are not a good idea.
3.02 That camera that keeps changing, sometimes it goes to the ground, it appears down the textures of ground. It's bad. You can notice this in the screenshot below.
clipboard5.jpg

3.03 Infernal has too small Selection Scale rate.
3.04 Camera shakes too strongful. If world would shake like this, mountains would collapse, lol.
3.05 When I select a dead unit on the ground, it has full health points and it can be selected. Why?
3.06 Terrain and eviroment art is lacking. You should work harder than that.
3.07 Starting custom music while standard and blizzard's original music is playing? You must remove that and only then start your own music.
3.08 Camera barely moves while dialogs. Make it variable and changable, it will look much better.
3.09 I couldn't relise who am I and what's going on. All I knew was I have to go, nothing else. Make it more clear.
3.10 Objectives do not exist.

4. Chapter Two:
4.1 Why does it have Orc's campaign loading screen? Chapter One hadn't loading screen at all and this chapter do, and it has Orc's campaign one while you play as human. Also loading screen didn't have description while, in my opinion, it should.
4.2 Objectives do not exist.
4.3 When camera changed and appeared nealy to that red 'whisp' called Floating Entity, camera wasn't locked, I could easily move it and look around the world.
4.4 Camera barely moves while talking to Floating Entity. Add more cameras.
4.5 Terrain and enviroment art is lacking here too.

5. Chapter Three:
5.01 Orcs Loading screen again, same loading screen. Without any word that could be called a description.
5.02 When game started, I heard footman's death sound.
5.03 Ability's named Attack Hot-Key confuses with Hot-Key of command - Attack.
5.04 Fighting system is pretty hard, you should increase the intervals between the time when player must press a button. I couldn't beat that Doom Guard.. Don't think that everyone has keyboard buttons in their heads. This must be balanced.
5.05 Fighting camera got down the ground textures.
5.06 Why Circle of Power appeared down my hero?
5.07 When that circle of power appeared, I couldn't start any fight. You must notice the players. Because it's hard to relise what's going on.
5.08 Nefarious obviously has too small selection scale rate.
5.09 I can't kill Nefarious since I cannot start a fight.
5.10 Why Nefarious' attack sound is Slice? It has no weapon, it hits with it's hands.
5.11 Why items has it's prices and tells me to drop on shop and sell while there is no possiblility to do so?
5.12 As I figured, that circle is there because I'm in fight, so why I don't fight? Please fix your duel systems.

I couldn't play other chapers since I couldn't manage to kill Nefarious because of your defective system of fights. I might keep reviewing other chapters when I will be able to pass this map and only then I will finally decide what my rating this resource deserves.

Rui, I do not think it's a good idea to approve this resource so quickly. It needs LOTS of improvements to earn an approvement, don't you agree?

Wow I'm impressed someone wasted that much time reviewing this 45 minute incomplete open source game hahah. Also, you're supposed to die to Nefarious...so uh...good job stopping.

Level 5
This campaign is pretty fun but that doomgaurd if vary hard to kill and i killed the worshippers and neferius and nothing happened so i am geusing that this is where you stopped working on this campaign and i was pretty confused when you are fighting neferius when he is big because i couldent kill him but that was some cool camera work after you die..and the next mission starts so i would rate this a 3/5

Level 31
I fully finished my review on Post 7.

Wow I'm impressed someone wasted that much time reviewing this 45 minute incomplete open source game hahah.
All you have to do is to fix every mistake or at least try to.

Anyway, I didn't know that I'm supposed to lose to Nefarious. As you see, these's not only me that thinks so. You should make it not a fight, but a cinematic when you fight against him and die. It would be much more clear, don't you think so?

Last edited:
Level 2
The campaign is really like something what i've never seen before. I'm not sure if it is only my opinion, but the camera is too fix and it is bit annoying. The cinematics should also be skipable. The Battle System is really cool and innovative but if I have to press C or D the command sometimes doesn't work and if I have to press B it works never

I think it is a pretty cool campaign and I hope you continue with your work :)

Level 2
Although Im not impressed with most of it i like the general idea and i think i might continue it since you decided not to. although there are alought of things to fix and terraining to be done...well...ill see where i get with this...it has great potential but it lacks in some areas.

As far as the battles go, except for the one you were designed to lose wich i think i will change into a cinimatic instead of an actual battle, they were verry easy to do and except for the first few where i was still trying to figure out the buttons, I never got hurt. Maby i just have a quick reaction time but I might need help with reducing the difficulty later from the rest of you because i will most lickly make it too hard for the average person. If i finish this i will probably make an easy, medium, and hard difficulty for it. I think ill extend it into a full campaign instead of a short 45 min one wich will take some tweaking and adding on but i think its possible

On anouther note, If you know how to make a successfull 3rd person camera i would be gratefull for instructions on how to keep it in the right place while changing terrain levels as it is verry hard to do.

on the note of movement i think i will swich it to arrow keys as clicking with the mouce can be verry hard to do when you have a 3rd person camera activated

The deitaled list of things that need to be changed is most helpfull and i will use those as a starting point for fixing the campaign, so +rep for the help guys and any further help would be appriciated.

Im gonna work on the terrain first then upload some screen shots to see what you guys think and so you can tell me what to change

Last edited:
Level 2
couple of bugs:
- the murloc battle when you're questioning the villagers, just before you find the flaming 'loyalno', causes you to forever be locked in "in a battle" mode.

i didnt get into battle mode. also when u speak with a sheep it's a villager answering!

Level 3
ok, in contrast to all the hard criticism to the Chronovyx campaign i must say that you really did an awesome job on creating an atmosphere, a cool character, a nice battle system even though it was really limited and a captivating plot.

talking to sheep isn't nice, but whatever when it's in an early alpha stage. keep up the good work and awesome job on making something interesting! 4.5/5

Level 3
A very nive campaign, to bad its unfinished. I could read the cinematics, but i had to read really fast. The fighting system was quite interesting. Oh and i really liked the story. If this campaign would of been finished i would give it 5/5. But now i can only give it 4/5.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
-music plays through the sound channel
-units selected during cinematic mode
-nobody is even trying to attack the protagonist while he's running all over the place
-pressing keys in battles... I want to see the battles not watch the screen for bingo...

2/5. Too bad though, the story would be the only thing of interest but it isn't that special either.