• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Uprising

User who uploaded this Presents

Uprising
Created by normalice

Map Info:

Designed only for 2v2 play, this map is similar in a lot of ways to the blizzard map Turtle Rock - that is, in ways that it could be considered similar to other maps, the one it has any similarities to is Turtle Rock.

The terrain of the map is supposed to be an 'echo' of itself. i.e, the central area of the map was 'once' a great fortress that was toppled by the outliers, and now the former commoners, still residing in the decrepit outlying regions, tread over the fallen ruins of their former kings to fight amongst themselves.

Features:
The most notable feature is the waygates. There is a waygate at each starting location, and it connects to the foot of the cliff of the opposition's starting location. In fact, each starting location has limited space for building. It's expected that they won't build much except towers at their starting location - most of their buildings and army should be built at the base of their opposition's starting location, as commoners might do before storming their lord's manor - hence the name "uprising".

Starting mines have 50k each, and ample trees. 'natural' expansion mines have 12.5k. Outlying expansion, accessible only by boat or zeppelin, have 20k - however the observatory is also only accessible by boat or zeppelin. This may be the first thing I change, depending on what people think.

As far as terrain, I did a number of things I've been wanting to do for some time, though they probably shouldn't be done all on the same map. But it should function all the same.

Nothing too remarkable other than that. 10 green, 9 orange, 6 red creep camps. Drops are mostly fair, except a quirk of green creep camps each having a 10% chance of dropping a level 2 power-up.

Change Log:
moved fountains 'off diagonal'
replaced one fountain of health with a fountain of mana
'overhauled' terrain and doodads in central 'green' island to (hopefully?) improve overall appearance.
replaced tiles under trees with 'natural' tiles.
-
added small amounts of blight to building areas..
-
moved observatories to 'main' island
removed shipyards
added merc camps where observatories used to be
overhauled terrain on the 'main' island (again).
changed map description
-
increased blighted area
added some creeps
modified drops a bit

Author's notes:

This map has only been tested against the computer AI (which is retarded and should be called AR..). I made it somewhat recently, and also recently almost no one joins custom games anymore. If you do play this map, please post relpays somewhere.
Also, this is probably the most amount of time I have ever spent on the aesthetics of a map..

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Uprising (Map)

Reviews
08:23, 30th May 2013 Orcnet: Hell_Master's review:

M

08:23, 30th May 2013
Orcnet: Hell_Master's review:
Hell_Master;2349544 said:
Hello, there. I have tested and played your map for a little while and I must say you have lots of things to fix and I think is not yet approvable. But you are near on the path of Approval so dont worry.

Uprising Review
[+] Good Points:
-Map has required resources:
  • Gold Mines
  • Goblin Labaratory
  • Goblin Merchant
  • Addionatal Waygates
-I like the ideas of the Waygates

[-] Bad Points:
-Terrain looks decent but you have problems. I suggest dont mix manmade tiles with environment tiles, Terrain is empty at many points but in others looks just fine and detailed enough... fill it up with more doodads that bestly fits, and putting trees in manmade tiles looks really off and weird.
-Player Positioning looks bad. Dont make two players share positions. What would happen if these two players were enemies?
-Building Positioning looks so random. Try making a pattern and it will look better.
-Is it my eyes tricking me but I think there are quite few creeps but If my eyes are just tricking. Ignore this.

[] Suggestions:
-Improve the terrains. Tips were given above!
-Fix the player positioning.
-Make the building position form a pattern in the map maybe a cross or something. Looks better that way.
Overall, quite a decent melee map with decent terrain but still with many flaws and bad positionings of players and random building positionings. I would rate this 3/5 but voting for Pending until you improved the map.

Happy Mapmaking! :cgrin:

Level 30
Hello, there. I have tested and played your map for a little while and I must say you have lots of things to fix and I think is not yet approvable. But you are near on the path of Approval so dont worry.

Uprising Review
[+] Good Points:
  • Gold Mines
  • Goblin Labaratory
  • Goblin Merchant
  • Addionatal Waygates

[-] Bad Points:
-Terrain looks decent but you have problems. I suggest dont mix manmade tiles with environment tiles, Terrain is empty at many points but in others looks just fine and detailed enough... fill it up with more doodads that bestly fits, and putting trees in manmade tiles looks really off and weird.
-Player Positioning looks bad. Dont make two players share positions. What would happen if these two players were enemies?
-Building Positioning looks so random. Try making a pattern and it will look better.
-Is it my eyes tricking me but I think there are quite few creeps but If my eyes are just tricking. Ignore this.

[] Suggestions:
-Make the building position form a pattern in the map maybe a cross or something. Looks better that way.
Overall, quite a decent melee map with decent terrain but still with many flaws and bad positionings of players and random building positionings. I would rate this 3/5 but voting for Pending until you improved the map.

Level 13

Uprising Review
[+] Good Points:
  • Gold Mines
  • Goblin Labaratory
  • Goblin Merchant
  • Addionatal Waygates

[-] Bad Points:

[] Suggestions:

cool, thanks for the feedback.

As for the player positioning, this is intended as a 2v2 map only. As long as you use the "teams together" option (which is the default for any battle.net game), there will be no issue of enemies starting close to each other.

I did notice that all of the neutral buildings were practically in a line after I uploaded it. My bad.. I'll try to do something about that.

There shouldn't be any trees on manmade tiles - though there are some near it and I may have overstepped. I'll look again.

With regards to mixing manmade and natural tiles, that's tricky as they have to clash somewhere on the map. Most of the time that I spent on this map was trying to make the transition as natural 'looking' as possible. But I have some ideas and I'll try to work on it.

As for the creeps, there are 10 green, 9 orange, 6 red creep camps. That amounts to roughly 2 green 2 orange and 1 red per player. I was actually a little afraid that this wouldn't be enough, but as you've hinted that it could be too much, I guess that's a good sign..

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Level 30
cool, thanks for the feedback.

As for the player positioning, this is intended as a 2v2 map only. As long as you use the "teams together" option (which is the default for any battle.net game), there will be no issue of enemies starting close to each other.

I did notice that all of the neutral buildings were practically in a line after I uploaded it. My bad.. I'll try to do something about that.

There shouldn't be any trees on manmade tiles - though there are some near it and I may have overstepped. I'll look again.

With regards to mixing manmade and natural tiles, that's tricky as they have to clash somewhere on the map. Most of the time that I spent on this map was trying to make the transition as natural 'looking' as possible. But I have some ideas and I'll try to work on it.

As for the creeps, there are 10 green, 9 orange, 6 red creep camps. That amounts to roughly 2 green 2 orange and 1 red per player. I was actually a little afraid that this wouldn't be enough, but as you've hinted that it could be too much, I guess that's a good sign..

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Will be looking forward in the updates. =)

Level 30
not everithing in blizzard it has to be consider good.
i dont like when the gold mines are locked by trees ( i alredy said it in other post) because the ia isnt that smart to build a mill near and log the trees and if they are nigth elves, for get it. and in a lot of maps of blizzard they do that.
so i still say if a map can be played not only for team battles, also free for all, it will be better because fullfils both.

You mean AI not IA.

Level 13
not everithing in blizzard it has to be consider good.
true enough.
i dont like when the gold mines are locked by trees ( i alredy said it in other post) because the ia isnt that smart to build a mill near and log the trees and if they are nigth elves, for get it. and in a lot of maps of blizzard they do that.
yeah, I hate that too. Fortunately, there aren't many maps out there like this. I avoid that sort of thing on all of my maps (in this case, with waygates)
so i still say if a map can be played not only for team battles, also free for all, it will be better because fullfils both.
thanks for the feedback :)

Level 13
I disagree. Putting that it's not suited for FFA in bad points is for me, the same as putting it's not suited for 3v3 or map don't have custom units. Map wasn't designed as such.
The 'top three' types of games played (at least on battle.net) are 1v1, 2v2, and FFA games. I think they only mean to say that a map that can do all three would, thus, appeal to a much larger 'audience.'

The flaw in this line of thinking is that it is outdated. FFA games are nowhere near as common as they used to be and, in fact, these days they are the least-played game type on battle.net.

But yeah - this map simply wasn't designed as such.