• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Twisted Grove

---------- ----------

TWISTED GROVE

Map Info:

I decided to make this map to take a break from my current altered-melee project
This is not my first melee map, but this time i tried to get inspiration from other map makers (Blizzard first, then some other mappers here on The Hive Workshop)
This is my first upload here, so critics, suggestions, and typos corrections are appreciated.

Features:

This is a 4-Players melee map.
There are 2 expansion mines for each player, one guarded by orange and the other by red creep camps.
There are also 4 mercenary camps, 2 shops, 2 marketplaces, 4 goblin laboratories, and a taver in the middle of the map.

Screenshots:

Image Description:
This is a map overview

239133-albums7592-picture88656.jpg

Image Description:
This is a map overview with hidden terrain

239133-albums7592-picture88657.jpg

Change Log:

1.0 first release

-added some critters
-few terraining changes

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Twisted, Grove, Lordaeron, Summer, Melee.
Contents

Twisted Grove (Map)

Reviews
18:46, 13th Sep 2014 Orcnet: The map is decent and given a nearly standard form for a melee map, however the terrain could use of more natural or terrain doodads to give in more of that forest look for the game, somehow I'm looking in only...

M

18:46, 13th Sep 2014
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

The map is decent and given a nearly standard form for a melee map, however the terrain could use of more natural or terrain doodads to give in more of that forest look for the game, somehow I'm looking in only trees and tile sets, but since the game play have shown more enough requirement for a melee, this can slip off for now.

The middle region where all team starters are in place is a bit destructive yet can be defended in some way, the use of such idea is quite daunting or challenging depending on how the player's view. Overall map can be acceptable.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

The areas around those dirt roads feel kinda empty. Maybe add some doodads here and there.
Other then that, it's cool :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
Well the minimap looks really interesting, however this reminds me strongly of some already existing melee map (the minimap) maybe created by Blizzard. I'ma check it tomorrow.

Is similar to Phantomgrove from TFT, similar not equal, is cool but sadly is very similar.

Average quality standard:
A certain amount of quality is required, the gameplay needs to be somewhat fun, the terrain must not be lacking and a bit of originality should be present.
Note: Replicas are not allowed! (e.g. Changing something from Dota 'Adding new heroes and items, but still keeping some of the old ones')

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/map-submission-rules-228244/

i think in this case the map has enough diference in the layout and neutrals position comparing with the blizzard map, even so try in your further work to not make a map similar to another, originality is an important thing

Level 18
@remixer
@abgm
Ohh.. i see.. i didn't even notice how similar it was.. maybe i played too much on PG and got influenced (?)
If needed i should have some kind of proof that i made my map myself
However, feel free to reject or remove this map, now that i see how similar the maps are

@imperator
I know, but i was afraid of too many closed spaces in the map

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Remixer's Quality Control
Terrain
Lordaeron Summer is really generic tileset and I personally don't like using it as it lacks decoration and good looking tiles. The variation of executions near water areas are also minimal in the tileset and it proves itself again in this creation. I don't think it's good idea to place grasscliffs next to water, especially below the surface like you have done. The edge of the cliff just really pops out and breaks the natural feeling. It's why I'd recommend you to lower the shallow water edges under water to make it deep and the ground smoothly to shrink to the deep water. This way you get more natural shore and rid of those grass cliffs. Another thing that I saw of the cliff usage are the diagonal ramps; they are very sharp and edgy. Smooth them with Raise/Lower tool to make them look good. Elsewhere I kinda like the height variation, even though I don't like raising the forest areas and keep the walkable are lower. Also you might want to create larger height areas so that the map does not look like a bumpy field. Also the deep water lowering near the ramps (near the bases) is a bit off I think, what went wrong in there? It does not look, nor does the trees make it look better.

Tile variation is pretty nice though I can't really see much short grass, however I personally hate the Lordaeron Summer short grass tile. I do not like the grass and thick grass underwater (shallow water areas). And as I got to the shallow water I might mention that you could try to add more height variation to the shallow water areas, but keep the water shallow and dont change it to ground.

Even though there is nice height variation and tile variation the decoration and doodad usage in this map is really really minimal. The map looks just empty. I could only find a few rocks at a few of the creep camps. You have to improve in this area. Also, don't change the shadowed area size at the map edges, it's supposed to keep the game camera on the map, not allow the player to stare in to the void. Personally I don't like the fact that you finished a quarter of the map and mirrored it to the remaining areas, as it becomes really repetitive. You could have atleast added or moved a few trees and rocks. (I found trees colliding with rocks near the gnoll camp, fix that, it does not look good and it blocks the view to the camp).

Neutrals
Okay firstly let's go to the item drops. Instead of adding 4 seperate items to one item set on one unit you should make it drop "Level 2 Power Up" item which is a tome of +2. Alternatively you can also use item tables. The item drops look fine otherwise, maybe they could be a bit more rewarding but they are fine. As the map is mirrored it's equal to each player. The neutral buildings are nicely placed, though the surroundings of the camps/building might need a bit refreshing. However I am a bit worried of the small creep camps in the middle, as there is 4 of them each players has their own, but they are so close to each other that it might lead to unwanted interruptions. Another thing I noticed is that there is 0 neutral critters on the map. Add a few of them here and there.

Summary
So if I understood correctly this is your first map. If have to say I'm impressed. First maps are rarely even in acceptable condition, however this one is. I don't like 100% mirrored maps as I don't do so and it gets really repetitive and it's the lazy way to do it.

Scores:
Terrain: 2/5
Comment: Terrain has height variation and tile variation, even though the tile variation usage could be more complex it is acceptable. 100% mirrored so not as good as 100% hand crafted. Also fix the sharp ramps.

Neutrals: 3/5
Comment: Neutrals are okay but I miss neutral units.

Generally: 3/5
Comment: Generally a really good melee map as a first map. Playable condition and nothing majorly wrong.

Rating: 8/15 (Silver)

Level 18
^
I think i like the lordaeron summer tileset because it's simple, and terraining it does not bring to messy terrain and stuff; also the cliff underwater is kinda necessary, otherwise i'd have to put pathing blockers, which can confuse a bit.
I am aware of the diagonal ramps, i tries smoothing them, but it became just worse.
The deep water is a way to separate the pathing there.
Too bad you don't like it, i find lordaeron summer a really good tileset.
I got what you mean with depth levels in the shallow water, thanks.
I can use doodads, but tried avoinding them this time, since the map has many closed spaces already, will see.
Also, about the trees colliding with the rocks, that was intended, it's not to fix, and is meant to block the sight on the camp.
I know how drops work, and those with 4/5 items were so to avoid some items from beeing droppped (Thome of xp/staff of teleportation).
Camps in the middle are green camps, which can be cleard pretty quick, don't think there might be too many problems.
How could i forget critters? Thankyou for reminding me.

This is not my first map, just my first kinda decent one. Decided to mirror because i'm working at another project, and this was a "break" from it.

Level 3
+latest patch used
+scoutable enemies
+enough goldmines
+shop and tavern

+/- looks to me like a very small map

this map looks like a combination of gold rush, twisted meadows and phantom grove :)
looks like a fine map to me. NOTE: i dont rate the design