• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Take On Me v1.1

TAKE ON ME v1.1
Created by Guramax

INTRODUCTION:
A dark magic raised vast numbers of undead and is consuming the world. While trying to escape, you stumbled upon a talking suit of armor from the future and discovered your destiny from it. The question is, can you fulfill such destiny?
STORY:
You were about to escape a region overrun by zombies when a talking suit of armor appeared out of nowhere accompanied with a stunning light stopped you from doing so. It said that a girl, who has the potential abilities to bring the undead to its knees, is trapped in the city. She has to be sent to the future to unlock those potential and return to this time period to wipe out the zombies. The future is not that great so this mission has to be successful. The creator of the suit wants make magic and science co-exist so the suit needs you to wear it and fulfill his mission and change the course of history.

• Has cinematic events for understanding the story.
  • Game Difficulty Modes (-easy, -normal, -hard).
  • Nostalgic Music relating to the game. (I bet you see it coming)
  • Time limited victory condition (About 13 minutes total game time).
  • Has quest system to guide you step by step.
  • Password input mini-game.
  • Exciting victory ending.

Battle in the City:
205128-albums7009-picture87720.jpg

Rescue the Girl:
205128-albums7009-picture87721.jpg

Battle at Forest Path:
205128-albums7009-picture87719.jpg

Time Travel Spell Activated Successfully:
205128-albums7009-picture87722.jpg

• v1.0: All the basic features
  • v1.1:
    1. Named the protagonist
    2. Added more zombie classifications
    3. Little interaction with the characters
    4. Added cinematics and making them skippable, except the ending.
    5. Changed key acquisition method
    6. Increased the girl's HP a little bit
    7. Improved code inputting system
    8. added Zombie Golem skills
    9. Improved terrain specially the city structures
    10. Changed Icon for Universal Rifle

• Credits

• Kaito85 - Space Marine (Preview and Loading Screen)
    • Aha - Take On Me (Music Theme)
    • TDA - for his tutorial about "Making Cinematics Skippable"
    Author's notes

Hi all! I made this map in just 3 days after being imaginative and addicted to the song "Take On Me" by Aha for several months. This is just a short, single player, and exciting game especially after you sent the girl to the future. Keep yourself alive while waiting for the ending. If you have any comments, suggestions or violent reactions, feel free to post it below.

Have fun shooting zombie heads!!!

If there are any bugs, pls let me know..,
    Keywords:
    Space Marine, Future, Girl, Rescue, Zombie, Undead, Shooting, Time, Travel, Escape, Survival, Time Limit, Cyber, Suit, Missile, Escape.
Contents

Take On Me v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
21:18, 28th Oct 2014 StoPCampinGn00b: Take On Me by Guramax RATINGS Scores[/COLOR]] Gameplay: 12/25 Terrain & Scenery: 11/20 Bugs & Consistency: 5/5 Total Score: 28/50 Explanation[/COLOR]]5 Stars: 94%+ (47+/50) 4 Stars: 70% - 93.99%...

M

21:18, 28th Oct 2014
StoPCampinGn00b:
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Take On Me
by Guramax
navbits_start.gif
RATINGS

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

Scores[/COLOR]] Gameplay: 12/25
Terrain & Scenery: 11/20
Bugs & Consistency: 5/5
Total Score: 28/50

Explanation[/COLOR]]5 Stars: 94%+ (47+/50)
4 Stars: 70% - 93.99% (35-47/50)
3 Stars: 45% - 69.99% (20-34/50)
2 Stars: 20 - 44.99% (10-19/50
1 Stars: 0 - 19.99% (1-9/50)

navbits_start.gif
CRITIQUE
Gameplay:
*No Spoilers*

The gameplay of the map is simple. It's a short dungeon crawl map with 'generic' features but it is semi-entertaining since the story is fun. Map is easy to learn, thanks to quests and cinematics.

Okay, so the aim of the game is to do a short quest by rescuing a girl. There isn't a lot of annoying travelling back and forth, it's mostly straight forward; shooting enemies, using abilities, scavenging items + that interesting mini-game. The abilities are sub-par when coming from creativity, the passive one makes the combat more interesting. The items are pretty generic as well, but they are essential to beat the game.

I played on all easy, medium, and hard. Notable changes are easy to see between the three levels, good job on this since many people barely separate the difficulty level farther apart than it should be. The enemies to fight are okay in terms of making the game fun, it's fun when trying to dodge the range zombie's projectile and dealing with unexpected zombie attacks around the corner. Overall, there isn't anything impressive to offer in the gameplay of the map, but the story was entertaining beginning to end ^^.

12/25
Terrain & Scenery:
Well, based on other comments of the terrain, it looks like you've made a big improvement. Tiles compliments each other, the pathways look nice and the city looks nice. Height leveling isn't overdone, but I do think the bottom right cliffs can use less straight edges.

The map is decorated okay, is all the distracting city fire necessary? Not every crate has to have the big fire on it. Other than that the city looks good with a disaster theme. In the forest, the doodad placement is fair. I recommend to place more environmental doodads around the map.

11/20
Bugs & Consistency:
Well, I was looking hard for bugs, I found none. Icons and their descriptions were well made. Map is thoroughly polished!

5/5
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
The only way a map can be approved is if it follows the map submission rules.
- All rules are followed, therefor I shall APPROVE the map :thumbs_up:
navbits_start.gif
NOTES
Overall the map is a short singleplayer map many can learn from. Feel free to contact me about this review on this map page OR message me about anything. (+2) reputation points for taking your time to upload this map to Hive.

PS. "Take on me! (take on me...) I'll be gone...." Love that song.
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif

Level 7
Hi, I played your map on normal difficulty and it was a gripping experience. Lets start from the beginning. The protagonist could have a name than just plain "you". Then before taking the suit, I was expecting some hidden items on ground but didn't find. So why is he allowed to go near zombies? Range zombies were exciting but golems were not. Maybe they could summon 1 normal zombie to take some damage for it or range zombie and have low MS. There could have been more interactions between the girl and protagonist during the game. I liked how zombies spawned and targeted the girl so I had to beware while casting spells. Inventory system is pretty much useless should you not give the starting items. (key could be just triggered). Items to find by killing some zombies would have been better. Password system was like a mini game. I would have preferred a xxx-xxx-xxx layout to make them easy on the eyes.

All necessary details ranging from author to title are there. I see you spammed the type and category section :) As for the triggers, the game ends after quite a few seconds of freeze after the girl dies with "the girl is dead". It could have been better.

3.5/5 and vote for approval.

As for improvements, the dialogs and boss golem could be worked on.

Yrk

Yrk

Level 6
Hey Guramax ,

I test your Map and it was good :)
Here's my review:

Good:
-Good Dialog
-Good Range Zombie (I like it)
-Good Skills
Bad:
-Bad Terrain (Improve your Terrain , Especialy the city , Seems the houses are not destroyed/burn , Lol)
-Bad Boss Fight (I was expecting some zombies will spawn)
Suggestion:
-Nothing (I'll think of something , I don't know about zombies , Lol)

Overall 3/5 and for Approval :)

Last edited:
Level 21
A good map to spend some funny 10 minutes. However, there are some issues:-

BAD POINTS:-
- Not enough zombie variation. I found only 3, the melee one, the ranged one and the boss
- The terrain is not really well done. The initial part lacks of rough dirt and the "ruined" city doesn't really have the look it should have. The buildings are completely intact and I found no signs of ruined buildings from Dalaran Ruins. Some random fire here and there but the result wasn't good. The tiles then... what did the Black Marble and Round Tiles do to you? No traces of any of these two tiles which would have been a good addition
- I don't understand why you put the active icon of Flak Cannons for a passive skill (Universal Rifle) while there is a passive one already present in Warcraft's icons
- What a lame boss fight! It didn't even seem to be a real one. The boss has no skills and he doesn't summon any minion

SUGGESTIONS:-
- Well, add more types of zombies. It is far too repetitive to find the same zombies every time. Maybe adding a ghoul as a zombie which has Slow Poison would be a cool idea. Or maybe a quick zombie with low HP which deals critical damage if he attacks you. Things like this would make the game more exciting
- Change the active icon of Universal Rifle into the passive one
- Add some rough dirt in the starting area on the dirt. I would also recommend swapping the Grass Trim with the Dark Grass of Lordaeron Summer from Advanced ---> Modify Tileset... to add it on the Grass. For the city, have a look at Dalaran Ruins props and structures. They are very suitable for making ruined cities (well, the name contains "ruins") Add things like ruined buildings instead of the common Building model. Then, you could add Corpse Impaled and Corpse Sitting to show that the zombies slaughtered all villagers
- The boss needs to have skills and/or to summon some minions to make it a real boss fight
- A "skip cinematic" command would be great if possible

OVERALL RESULT
In conclusion, this map is enjoyable but it would be even more with some improvements. For now, I would give it 2.5/5 and vote for APPROVAL!

Level 9
Map Update

I'm back!!!

Well, after being away for awhile from a random journey to seek the meaning of life, I have returned, read your reviews and applied most of them in the update of my map..,

I hope you'll enjoy this latest update and please tell me if there are any bugs..,

The tiles then... what did the Black Marble and Round Tiles do to you? No traces of any of these two tiles which would have been a good addition

Hi Shadow, Ummm.., I'm just wondering about this part of your review.., I didn't used any Black Marble and Round Tiles in my map. No Grass Trimmed Tile either.., I presumed it's your game settings like in other internet cafes, Their tile sets are different from what it suppose to be.., Anyway, Thank you for the review.., it really helped..,

Level 1
cool map, awesome here are some auggeations

Terrain;

Improve it, there are a whole new category of modern doodads in hive

Units;

Make the cybwr a hero

Zombies;

Lasher(ghoul model) ranged with poison attack

Hunter(http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/zombiedog_byepsilon-180909/?prev=search%3Dzombie%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20)fast moving dog zombie, has critical strike

Stalker(http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/ghoul-amphibious-halo-61019/?prev=search%3Dzombie%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20)Amphiuos zombie, moves fast