• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starship Troopers v1.6

user_online.gif
Xanx Presents
user_online.gif

[Rainbow]Starship Troopers[/rainbow]

I Proudly present you, Starship Troopers:
Non-Stop Actions game, based on the movie Starship Troopers.
The Commander RASCZAK is trapped with his troops on a hostile planet, Bugs are coming from everywhere to eat them all.
Your mission is to protect the commander until the spaceship comes to save you over 35 min.
You can revive, buy items, make upgrades and most important is: Don't forget to reload your weapons!

Choose from 5 specific classes: Medic, Engineer, Firebat, Sniper and Captain. Each of them has specific abilities.
Player 1 (Red) can choose the difficulty: Normal or Hard.
There is music from Starship Troopers movie in game.
You can play with AI, they don't need to reload weapons but can't buy items or make upgrades so it is better to play with real players if you want to win.
This map is protected.

Classes

Engineer
236068-albums7521-picture88714.png

Engineer

Defensive hero, adept at repairing and creating sentry guns and deadly machines.

Abilities:

SentryTower:The engineer builds an immobile sentry gun to attack bugs and defend him against them.

Advanced Construction:The engineer builds a flying machine which attacks bugs for 15 seconds and cannot be destroyed.

Engine upgrades:Improves the engineers ability to make better machines.

Robot:The engineer builds and controls a powerful robot which makes him incredibly stronger.

Repair:The engineer repairs a mechanical unit or building.

Knife:The engineer uses his knife to melee bugs.
Captain
236068-albums7521-picture88716.png

Captain

Strategic hero, master of guns and uses his deadly weapons to kill his enemies.

Abilities:

Grenade:The captain throws a grenade causing AoE damage.

Rockets:The captain launches missles dealing AoE damage and stunning his enemies.

Critical Bullets:The captain uses his special bullets giving him chance to deal more damage.

Rage:The captain takes his secondary weapon and shoots with double weapons dealing more damage.

Web:The captain throws a web over a unit making it unable to move for 10 seconds.

Knife:The captain uses his knife to melee bugs.
Firebat
236068-albums7521-picture88715.png

Firebat

Offensive hero adept at fire, he is heavy and deadly which burns his enemies to death with his flamethrower.

Abilities:

Fire shot:The firebat launches a deadly fireball dealing damage to units in line.

Fire explosion:The firebat creates a big explosion on the floor dealing damage and burning the units around him.

Invulnerability:The firebat uses his special armor to become invulnerable.

Fire wall:The firebat creates a fire wall burning enemies who enter it and dealing huge damage to them.

Mine:The firebat throws a mine on the ground stunning his enemies when activated.

Knife:The firebat uses his knife to melee bugs.
Sniper
236068-albums7521-picture88718.png

Sniper

Offensive hero adept at long range combat, he uses his deadly sniper to shoot targets from long distance.

Abilities:

Plasma shot:The sniper uses his special bullets dealing more damage to his enemies.

Laser Shot:The sniper shoots the target with a laser shot damaging the target and the units around him.

Rocket launch:The sniper fires multiple rockets dealing AoE damage.

Bombardment:The sniper marks an arena and multiple missiles come from sky dealing heavy damage to his enemies.

Camouflage:The sniper wears his cloak to remain invisible and attack at the right time.

Knife:The sniper uses his knife to melee bugs.
Medic
236068-albums7521-picture88717.png

Medic

Supportive hero adept at healing, she heals her allies in the battlefield with her medical skills and uses her gun to kill her enemies.

Abilities:

Healing Hand:The medic uses her skills to heal her ally or even herself.

Stim Pack:The medic uses her stimpack on the target increasing its attack speed.

Healing Shop:The medic builds a healing shop healing units nearby and selling some shop items.

Prayer:The medic uses her holy skills and heals all the units near her.

Dispell:The medic uses her skills to cure poisoned units and destroy summoned units.

Knife:The medic uses her knife to melee bugs.
Screenshots

Terrain
236068-albums7521-picture88711.png
Bugs? Bugs!!!!
236068-albums7521-picture88713.png
Changelog

v1.3
-New system to choose heros (by Devin).
-Added a Medikit + a pack of Ammunition for each Hero at start.
-Game shorter (35 minutes).
-Game harder, stronger monsters and lower towers.
-Fixed some names, change the repair icon.
v1.4
-Changed doodads, looks more modern.
-Change the terrain.
-Remove tomes of agility and strenght.
-Renamed some items.
v1.5
-Balanced the game.
-Added a text when you need to Reload.
-Added more levels for upgrades.
-Fixed grammar.
Credits

Special Thanks to Devin for his help.
Thanks to:
Game_Slave, CrazyRussian, GhostTruster, Abrico, IronMaiden, Fingolfin, JollyD, killst4r, TheSilent, Scupa, P4ena, judash137, Peekay, kellym0, luorax, MEXAHUK, Sashax, Kelthuzad, Hybred, UncleFester, Happycockroach, Kola, Golden_Drake, Praytic, Kiwi, Frankster, Mobilize, L_Lawliet, NFWar, Fjury, Cryophoenix, ScorpioT1000, Katauri, 3uMviraAd, Hellfilm, zbc, morbent.

Music from Starship Troopers Movie.

You are not allowed to edit, copy or rip my Work.
Map description designed and coded by Devin

Keywords:
Starship Troopers
Contents

Starship Troopers v1.6 (Map)

Reviews
15:56, 27th Oct 2014 Orcnet: The game play is intense, the atmosphere gave a strong view as well on the models shown for the game, however the game's statistics is lacking due to the "no refill of ammunition", the endless wave of bugs is...

M

15:56, 27th Oct 2014
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

The game play is intense, the atmosphere gave a strong view as well on the models shown for the game, however the game's statistics is lacking due to the "no refill of ammunition", the endless wave of bugs is countless which requires the game to atleast you give a spare to survive, but likely it is not. I suggest filling in ammunition for all starship trooper players for them to last long.

The game is lacks firepower, the bugs are too strong for just 4 waves to come by, it would be of fair treat if you can least weaken the early mobs and slowly increase them in a way the players are prepared for a mid-late heavy assault against the enemies, yet this is lackign as well you might want to add it too.

The terrain and game visuals is that make the game more appealing, however it would be of best if the game play was more strongly build for decent survival mechanics.

Overall, map can be approved.

Level 21
A map which seemed good at the beginning but it wasn't so. Those are the reasons:-

BAD POINTS:-
- The terrain was too badly done and unfitting to the map's theme. It's a modern map and I pick my hero from a tavern? Same goes for the old medivial bookshelves which don't fit at all the map. Then, I see only two tiles used inside the base. I can ignore putting only the sandy tile outside the base, but inside I cannot. And talking about doodads, where the hell are the modern ones? There are a lot on the hive Models' section. There is even a whole category for them
- The time was far too long. It's about an hour of gameplay which gets really repetitive and boring. The towers are far too resistant and take ages to be destroyed. I would have appreciated a shorter but harder game, like 10 minutes of total chaos instead of 50 of boredom
- I don't get why the mine of the Firebat is called Statis Trap when I place it
- The spell Invulnerability still has the buff of Divine Shield. I wonder if other abilities have the buffs untouched
- Why did you use an autocast icon for the Engineer's Repair skill?

SUGGESTIONS:-
- Search for futuristic doodads for the map and use more tiles in the base. That tile for the cliff seems good. For every cliff there must be its fitting tile
- Weaken the towers and bunkers and decrease the time to no more than 15 minutes. This will make the game shorter, non-repetitive and exciting. Otherwise no one would like to replay the map again
- Fix those small issues about the buffs. First thing, the "Mine" should be called "Mine" and not "Statis Trap". The 3rd skill of the Firebat, its buff should be called "Invulnerability" and not "Divine Shield". If there is any other thing like this, fix it
- Any icon submitted here on the hive must have a BTN + DISBTN icon, not only the autocast one so change the icon of Repair to the BTN one

OVERALL RESULT
In conclusion, the map is boring, lacking of replayability and of a good futuristic theme. For those issues, I give this map 2/5 and AWAIT UPDATE!

Level 6
Seems nice.i will review tomorrow.too tired to review now e.e
Edit:Ok,here is my review :)
New Version Review updated
Map Review Document

Starship troopers v1.2
By:XanX

239066-albums7472-picture88109.png
SCORES
Gameplay: 14/25
Terrain: 7/10
Doodads: 7/10
Bugs: 5/5
Total Score: 35/50

FEEDBACK
Gameplay:

long gameplay...i suggest you to lower that or put more things in the game so people won't get bored.strategic map where you have to use teamwork to win and i like that.uh tho i got lost finding shop ingame lol (No -score for not being able to find shop :p).and please change that goblin shop,it doesn't suit for a modern map! and the items "Staff of teleportation"? and tomes of agility ect? that doesn't really suit a modern map...
Liked the way you made the game chaotic where its hard to beat the game :)
It could still get alot better,i will give you more ideas soon. :)
14/25

Terrain:

Simple terrain,and some noise outside of the map right?
well due to map size and playable size and the theme.its good enough for a bunker (with that playable and map size :/) but please improve that...

Better now.

7/10

Doodads:

I don't really like how you placed the doodads.doesn't really suit for a modern map...i mean for real,those bookshelves aren't suited for a modern map.also those things around the goblin merchant...you can also put a human as the goblin merchant...or atleast like the other shop there at left..?
+1 for changing that goblin merchant still waiting for doodads change.

Changes made :)

7/10

Bugs:

I didn't find many bugs just that firebug's buff comes up as divine shield.and mine comes up as..statis trap..? lol
Bugs fixed ^^

5/5

SUGGESTIONS
Some of my suggestions (optional):

>Add that if its protected or open source to map description.
>When the game starts show a message and tell them where to buy ammo,show them the shop locations,or fully instruct them with a tutorial or just some pings and comments showing how to play.just so the user doesn't get lost...
>Change the goblin merchant and those medieval doodads for gods sake :/
>Just like shadow fury said you need to add DISBTN version of all icons.its the site map upload rules.for more information please read: Map submission rules.
>oh and there is also a modern bed on the hive you can use..you know..to make it more modern... :p
>i don't really like the tavern there,makes it look medival...it would be really great if you could change that.

NOTES

Rating:3/5
I vote for:Approval
The map is good and it could be even better with some little more changes :).feel free to contact me if you wanted a review update or anything else.+Rep for your hard work and for sharing with others on the hive. :)
and thanks to StoPCampinGn00b for helping me make my map review template.

Ratings:
0-14 1 STAR
15-24 2 STARS
25-35 3 STARS
36-46 4 STARS
47-50 5 STARS

Last edited:
Level 4
Shadow Fury
-Thx for your review, the first version, i had a system without tavern to chose heros, but when i played it in multiplayer, they were some bugs, so i prefered to put something simple like a tavern even if it doesn't fit with the theme.
-The game isn't that long, 50 min isn't much for me, and you can make upgrades, buys items, skills lvl 20+ etc.. and i don't like maps where you die in like 2 minutes and can't do shit.
-I didn't put much doodads because i thought it doesn't apport anything to the gameplay, i really just want to have a fun game to play, and i don't think it's boring, i tested it with random people on battlenet and they enjoyed it. Maybe you played the map alone.
-(Sorry for my bad english, i m a young French)

Level 6
@Xanx Most people review & test maps alone due to (waiting for players,bad connection,bad ping,laziness,doesn't like to play multiplayer,more focus on game)
For tarven error you can also put a place where you can put some souls or some hero chooser units to choose hero in a room (move hero chooser to the hero you like,or double click the hero you like something like that...) and make it unable to get to by boundary and some other tricks... or you can put a dialog box asking you for class or a room where when you move to the character to hero you can control him and he comes to life ect. :D
anyways i go to sleep now,as said i will review tomorrow...

Level 4
@Xanx Most people review & test maps alone due to (waiting for players,bad connection,bad ping,laziness,doesn't like to play multiplayer,more focus on game)
For tarven error you can also put a place where you can put some souls or some hero chooser units to choose hero in a room (move hero chooser to the hero you like,or double click the hero you like something like that...) and make it unable to get to by boundary and some other tricks... or you can put a dialog box asking you for class or a room where when you move to the character to hero you can control him and he comes to life ect. :D
anyways i go to sleep now,as said i will review tomorrow...

Yes, there is a lot of way to chose heros, maybe i'll make something better later.
True, it's hard to find people to test maps even on battlenet nowadays:/

Level 21
The terrain has been improved, the time has been decreased and the game has been made more modern. Only thing that bothered me is that I cannot know when exactly I will finish my ammo. Something that advises me how much ammo I have left would be really cool.

For now, my rating will be raised from 2/5 to 3.5/5
Well done!
Then I would also like to vote for APPROVAL!

Level 4
The terrain has been improved, the time has been decreased and the game has been made more modern. Only thing that bothered me is that I cannot know when exactly I will finish my ammo. Something that advises me how much ammo I have left would be really cool.

For now, my rating will be raised from 2/5 to 3.5/5
Well done!
Then I would also like to vote for APPROVAL!

Level 4
Ok, thanks for your review Orcnet. (for the difficulty, when i played with people on battlenet some said it's too easy and other said it's too hard so i don't know, it really depends with the team you play).
And for the ammos you can buy packs of ammos in shops, but i think you mean, you want to not click on the item to reload and have an auto-reload with no message, maybe it would be better for players i don't know, i ll think on it.

Level 4
This map is one of my favorites with terran base defense there is some way to make it easier is simply very difficult and to put more turrets, to be able to buy upgrades to buy item globally, to have soldiers to repair, etc.
I would like to see an easier difucultad and some improvement that balances the map.
Even so 4/5 because it seems a good simple and concise map to play with people and have a good time!
:goblin_good_job::goblin_yeah::infl_thumbs_up: